The Owls vs Wigan. Official Matchday Thread.

BJyDHtd.png          2pFX2UE.png

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

Wigan's most famous citizen is George Formby, who is currently employed by a local supermarket to operate their cardboard crushing machine. But he was once the most highly paid entertainer in the entire world, earning an astonishing £16, 10 shillings and sixpence a week. That’s equivalent to £ 2334 and 42p if you were using the money to buy a vintage concertina in the year 2000 according to this website: http://www.concertina.com/calculator/. George appeared in many comedy films in the 1930s, including “Silence of the Lambs” and “Confessions of a Window Cleaner”. His role was always the dumbstruck Lancashire gargoyle who, after a baffling turn of events, gets the pretty girl at the end.

Most of his work has involved playing the banjolele which is a hybrid instrument created through genetic meddling in the 1910s and singing comedic songs such as the ever popular “When I'm Cleaning Windows”.  Formby never actually worked as a window cleaner but managed to have the BBC ban his song for its raunchy lyrics about catching a glimpse of housewives in various states of nudity. Queen Elizabeth II is the president of his official fan club. She has never cleaned any windows either.

xbh4dDE.jpg

George's domineering wife, Beryl died in 1960 but even today, her ghost still pesters him to fix the leaky radiator in the spare bedroom. George has no practical knowledge of basic plumbing. He empties the small plastic bowl that was placed under the drip in 1959 about 8 times a day.

In 1968, a fire in the local ladder factory also managed to put the goat skinners out of a work at the shammy leather works next door. Feeling sorry for the now unemployed men, Formby gathered the workers together and announced that he would form them into a football team. 

And that’s how we come to be playing them today!

IMPORTANT THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Venue: Hillsborough Stadium,  Sheffield.

Kick Off: Saturday the 10th of September at 15:00

Matchday Apparel: Home shirt, massive flags, no banjoleles.

Matchday Drink: After an international break that seemed to go on for much longer than it actually did…  Beer! The 16 Pint Challenge is back. Get In!

Matchday Pie: Eddie Waring with brown sauce or two bags of cheese and onion crisps.

Matchday Song: “One Step Beyond” by Prince Buster.  Rest In Peace, King of Ska.

MATCHDAY FACTS

Netherlands international Urby Emanuelson and winger Adam Reach could make their Sheffield Wednesday debuts.

Club captain Glenn Loovens is fit again after ankle surgery but midfielder David Jones is suspended.

Adam Le Fondre, Nathan Byrne, Kaiyne Woolery and Reece Burke could all make their first Wigan appearance after joining on deadline day.

Reece James (ankle), Andy Kellett (knee), Kyle Knoyle (elbow) and Donervon Daniels (knee) are all out.

NDL2Et4.png Head To Head JOZvBHX.png

▪    The Owls have won their last two league games against Wigan, both in the Championship in the 2014-15 season.

▪    The Latics' only win at Hillsborough in three trips there in all competitions was a 3-0 triumph in February 2014.

▪    Sheffield Wednesday, last season's Championship play-off finalists, have only won two of the last 11 league games (D5 L4) and have failed to win any of their last four.

▪    Wigan have racked up 22 goals in their last eight league away trips (2.8 goals per game), although, they have only come away with a win once in the last five (D1 L3).

▪    The Owls' tally of three goals from five league games is their fewest in a season since 2006-07, when they also scored three times and finished the season in ninth position.

▪    Will Grigg has had a hand in four of Wigan's last seven Championship goals (three goals and one assist). 

OZK4qLG.png

KING CARLOS’ WORDS OF WISDOM

“We are creating chances, I will tell you. We created enough chances to win three or four games in the last two. We won games last season 3-0 that we didn’t create the number of chances we created at Brentford. But this is football and it can happen. I would be very worried if we went into the games and did not create chances and we did not play well.

t2DkIsp.jpg

If the players didn’t play with heart and soul I would be very worried.With the players we have, it could be just one click, one moment. Players like Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Joao, Reach, Abdi, Lee, Bannan, Wallace can all score goals, all these players can score a goal in one second. Sometimes in football it can be like this, these things can happen. I must tell you I’m not worried because we are in a good way.

What we must do against Wigan is go one step beyond of what we did at Brentford. We are not here to clean the windows, we are here to fight!”

MINTYNESS

t0GYhyq.gif

Edited by pauli

Woot!

It's worth the price of admission to these OMDT's just for the musical selections. Loving it Pauli.

Morning all, hope you're keeping well. Been soooo long since the last Wednesday match. Can't quite believe how desperate I am for this, sad I know.

Anyhoo, I have no idea what the score will be. But, I do know we will win (we always win right?).

And Mick, I'm not sure that 1-0 constitutes a hammering, though having said that I'd be happy with a 1-0 win.

Has nothing to do with complaining or drinking wine or anything.

It's a dance where a really nice Jamaican girl rubs her bum on your willy.

Wine an grine

Prince Buster awsome as always

Edited by pauli