Sign in to follow this  
TINKERBELL

Parachute payment

1 hour ago, Holmes said:

Sadly I think you could well be right it is a back door to a closed shop.  I do think that it would dilute the Premier as new clubs coming up breathe new life into it.  If Leicester had had the door slammed in their face then it would have been one of the usual mob who would have won the league.  I also think it's a backdoor way to invite clubs into the league such as the big two in Scotland.  I'm sure the Premier would love to have Leeds (sorry using brain not heart) up there as well.  

I'm sure they would love to have us in there as well along with the likes of Forest

53 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

All shaping up for Premier 1 and Premier 2 and everyone else can fuckoff.

Getting up in the very next few seasons is shaping up to be crucial for the future of the club.

Could be gerrymandered for who gets in and not. Ground capacities,facilities, crowd size etc

I thought most clubs had relegation clauses in players contracts now so wage bill is reduced significantly when clubs are relegated.

Also with the massive influx of foreign players the market for the high earners to be moved on is a lot wider . A lot less chance of clubs getting stuck with high earners after regation.

Unless of course they want to be.

On 01/09/2016 at 18:48, darra said:

I'm sure they would love to have us in there as well along with the likes of Forest

they'd end up with a 30 team league... WTF:

Guest Copthorneowl

In reality it's not a football issue in the strictest sense it's a sky sports issue . If 80/90% of sky tv subscribers cancelled their subscriptions parachute payments would die overnight. Not enough money coming in none to share out.

Chellino is a throw pot but he understands this.

Very interesting thread...

I have complained about Newcastle & Villa and the obscene amounts they've been spending, but when you consider how much Newcastle have made from sales, their net spend is probably not much more than us! Villa on the other hand...

The parachute payments were originally intended to cover the shortfall in income to cover Premier League wages. We didn't receive them, but I guess our demise contributed to their introduction - after all, we were in a mess for 10+ years after!

As a previous poster said, perhaps they're not needed as much now relegated teams are rewarded for failure! I do agree, there should be some extra safeguards brought in: wage caps & relegation clauses won't happen until FIFA sorts itself out and gets involved. What's the point in us doing it whilst China is allowed to pay whatever they want? More sensible would be less prize money for relegated teams & PP only being used to cover WAGES. Any new signings, e.g. McCormack would have to be funded via the same rules the rest of the Championship have to abide by. So, if Villa can prove they can afford him based on revenue for THIS season (player sales, ticket sales, Championship TV rights), then fair enough. 

I think, along with the likes of Leeds, we're in a unique position with this issue. We're a big (sorry 'massive') club, we've been in the Prem, failed spectacularly, been to hell and back, nearly gone bust... Now we have a rich owner who is willing to spend big, so we could be back on the gravy train soon. In an ideal world, it would be a level playing field, but let's not forget we've just spent a reported £9m on Abdi & Reach, not to mention the massive contracts awarded to Fletcher etc. Like it or not, football is all about money - and will be for a long time to come!

Anyway, I very much doubt that Newcastle, Villa & Norwich will be in the top 3 in May. Money doesn't always guarantee success...

Sorry for the overly long post!

• Agree 1

On 01/09/2016 at 15:28, Weshallovercome said:

The Football league should take the Premier league to court for unfair trading.

Problem with this is that the 2 Divisions are separate entities, the outcome would be a closed Premiership, as far as the Premiership is concerned they think that it creates a better and more dramatic end of Season battle for teams in  Relegation positions, if this is a subject of Court action they could just tell us to F, OFF.

Edited by daleblue

1 hour ago, Copthorneowl said:

In reality it's not a football issue in the strictest sense it's a sky sports issue . If 80/90% of sky tv subscribers cancelled their subscriptions parachute payments would die overnight. Not enough money coming in none to share out.

Chellino is a throw pot but he understands this.

They (subscribers) wont, not by that amount anyway. But that's not where all the Money is coming from it's the TV deals across the world where people are demanding to watch the best League  (at the moment).

Edited by daleblue

On 01/09/2016 at 11:59, robster_owl said:

Who not seek a rebate from the relegated clubs, when they sell players for a profit, this is taken off their next parachute payment?

This for me they get parachute payments to help pay for players wages then they end up selling them anyway sissoco nob 30 million ridiculous and they winaldum went for 25 didn't he to Liverpool 

I like parachute payments, I'm going to like them even more when we get promoted.

This Season.

Believe people this year is our year.