Official January Transfer Window Thread

It seems as if a few championship clubs will be looking to do some major business in January. As Carlos has hinted, it won't be us, we've already spent our budget, and because of FFP, it's only likely to be fine tuning. To be honest, that's no bad thing, with 33 players already, we really should have enough options. It's also why we need to stick with the project, it would be pointless trying to take a new direction, with little or no money to change things. I envisage, maybe one low key signing, and perhaps a loan towards the end of the month

Fingers crossed we don't have our team ripped to pieces as a result of aggressive bids for our key players. This is my main worry.

Hoping we can move on some of the lesser players we have stealing a living though.

Incomings? Suspect it depends how many we"ve found new homes for. Hope Rotherham have been saving up for the January sales. Whatever happened to Maguire btw? Not heard anything about him for yonks.

40 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Fingers crossed we don't have our team ripped to pieces as a result of aggressive bids for our key players. This is my main worry.

Hoping we can move on some of the lesser players we have stealing a living though.

Incomings? Suspect it depends how many we"ve found new homes for. Hope Rotherham have been saving up for the January sales. Whatever happened to Maguire btw? Not heard anything about him for yonks.

I hear a lot about Maguire, as he is Oxford's stand out player. Wouldn't worry too much about us losing players, don't think we'll let anyone go, who we'd rather keep. Going on past experience, moving on players we don't want may be an issue.

For me, I would like the Rhodes saga resolved and think he will be our main signing on loan in January. Pretty happy we have enough to be competitive for the rest of the season. Squad does need balancing, but January is not the time for this, can be done over the summer.

Any or all of McGugan, Bus, Dielna, Sougou out to balance the books as none will reasonably be near the first 11 this season.

46 minutes ago, striker said:

For me, I would like the Rhodes saga resolved and think he will be our main signing on loan in January. Pretty happy we have enough to be competitive for the rest of the season. Squad does need balancing, but January is not the time for this, can be done over the summer.

Any or all of McGugan, Bus, Dielna, Sougou out to balance the books as none will reasonably be near the first 11 this season.

Do you think we can, or should, sign Rhodes? I know what he offers, but even the cost of a loan, which Middlesborough would be reluctant to sanction, would prove prohibitive to us, given the FFP considerations. He isn't going to hang around while we try and offload players we don't require. He wouldn't be my choice, as I'm not sure how he'd fit in. Then again, it's been a bit sobering seeing the lack of a cutting edge, since we've been without Hooper and Forestieri

50 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

What a joke this FFP is.

Let's shackle the championship teams whilst we reward the relegated premier league clubs for being gash last season.  

That'll work. 

Exactly it's such an unfair advantage.

It's almost worth breaking it now to get in the premier league. 

You get relegated, you get parachute payments for what 3 or 4 years. You have top quality players to sell at a premium and those you can't shift normally have wages decrease clauses in their contracts.

Newcastle and Villa could probably spend another 20 million each in January and still be nowhere near FFP that's why getting to the premier league is paramount.

Even if you get relegated it sets you up for the next 3 years to be a top 6 side.

The ironic thing is its called financial fair play it was brought in to place to make it all fair.

but it just hands the advantage to the relegated teams.

Edited by pazowl55

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Do you think we can, or should, sign Rhodes? I know what he offers, but even the cost of a loan, which Middlesborough would be reluctant to sanction, would prove prohibitive to us, given the FFP considerations. He isn't going to hang around while we try and offload players we don't require. He wouldn't be my choice, as I'm not sure how he'd fit in. Then again, it's been a bit sobering seeing the lack of a cutting edge, since we've been without Hooper and Forestieri

I genuinely think he is affordable on loan, subject to being able to shift some of those mentioned , ether now or in the summer. FFP is an aggregate over seasons and personally think he would give us something extra to consolidate in the top 6 and worth taking a chance with a view to balancing the books either now or in the summer. 

This is a hard league this year, but we are still well placed and nobody has run away with it, all to play for and think DC would kick himself if he didn't have a go, having come so close last year. 

Completely understand that other areas of the team need strengthening, but in terms of impact for half a season, I would take a goalscorer any day.

33 minutes ago, striker said:

I genuinely think he is affordable on loan, subject to being able to shift some of those mentioned , ether now or in the summer. FFP is an aggregate over seasons and personally think he would give us something extra to consolidate in the top 6 and worth taking a chance with a view to balancing the books either now or in the summer. 

This is a hard league this year, but we are still well placed and nobody has run away with it, all to play for and think DC would kick himself if he didn't have a go, having come so close last year. 

Completely understand that other areas of the team need strengthening, but in terms of impact for half a season, I would take a goalscorer any day.

Like I said, he wouldn't perhaps be my choice, however, I'm well aware of what he offers. He might not add much to the team dynamic, but I've no doubt that he'll win us games with his goals. IF we can afford to have him as part of our squad, why wouldn't you, but he isn't someone I'd build a team around

But isn't FFP based on a 3 year period of aggregate losses, excluding infrastructure spending?

If so, I wouldn't worry too much, Brighton for one have a much bigger problem.

Seems to me like PR spin from Owls to try keep a lid on player fees and salaries.  

But if , like Fletcher deal, we don't want to shell out too much up front on fees but good salaries , then some real quality that are nearly out -of -contract, Mancienne, Ben Marshall, Ward at Rovrum, Leeds' left back , etc, etc.

Plus Rhodes on loan with hefty fee and permanent transfer, when we go up.

5 -0 Saturday, Fletch hat trick. 

Edited by rivelinowls