Brentford vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

HecFj7q.png          BJyDHtd.png

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

Gor blimey guvna. We’re orf ta Landan fo da fatbowl! Arf arf moy san! Innit.

In 1932, Brentford declared war on emus.

It sounds like a joke but the very real Great Emu War of Western Brentford, in which soldiers with machine guns were deployed to fight off the flightless birds really happened.

mhDOatW.jpg

But what did the emus do to deserve armed combat? Brentford’s farmers had been facing hard times with their crops following the Great Depression, and their difficulties increased tenfold with the arrival of some 200,000 emus migrating inland during their breeding season. The voracious birds paticularly found the abundant Saveloy bushes to be delicious.

The farmers relayed their concerns to the pearly king, who called upon a deputation of ex-soldiers from the first World War, and they requested the use of exciting new fangled machine guns to fight off the emus.

The ensuing Emu War has been summarized thusly  by ornithologist D.L. Serventy: 

The machine-gunners’ fantasies of point blank fire into serried masses of Emus were quickly dissipated. The Emu command had evidently ordered guerrilla tactics, and its unwieldy army soon split up into innumerable small units that made use of the military equipment uneconomic. A crestfallen field force therefore withdrew from the combat area after about a month.

XTBjnIs.jpg

Although the human soldiers fired their guns with vigor, it was the emus that came out victorious in the Great Emu War of 1932. They were very determined to get at the succulent jellied eel and mash trees. The birds still remain plentiful in areas such as Kew Gardens and Boston Manor Park. 

In 1938, an uneasy cease fire was declared to be over. In the spirit of peace and unity, the people of Brentford and the emus formed a mixed human and large bird based football team and that’s how we come to be playing them today!

IMPORTANT THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Venue: Emu Park, That London.

Kick Off: Saturday the 27th of August at 15:00

Matchday Apparel: Away shirt, massive flags. No Bagpipes.

Matchday Pub: T’Squire has been boozer hunting down South and he’s come up with a gem…

“Brentford away really, really means just one thing...

Just around the corner from Griffin Park, home of the famously famous Brentford FC is this belter of a hostelry with hosts Ralph and Sue keen to look after King Carlos's wayward legions. Sue likes to show her culinary ability with her burger and is well prepared to get anything between her hot breadbuns (no breadcakes down here laads) to serve you up a treat.

I9oggmp.jpg

Plenty of real ales, big screen, footy menu and delightful wooden floors for jolly good Landan knees-up or a Massive Wednesday Bounce. Enjoy your 16 Pints and hopefully you will see a cross delivered into the 6-yard box or maybe you're just piissed…?”

The Griffin. Brook Road, Brentford.

sZaRSzm.jpg Squire

Matchday Pie: Chips. Landan pies are full of eels. 

Matchday Song: Disco Thunder by Big Soul…

MATCHDAY FACTS

Brentford will check on midfielder Lewis Macleod (knee), while Andreas Bjelland could return to the defence. Goalkeeper Jack Bonham and defender Yoann Barbet (ankle) are out, and midfielders Alan McCormack (heel) and Alan Judge (knee) are also sidelined.

Sheffield Wednesday remain without injured trio Jose Semedo, Glenn Loovens and Marco Matias. Former Burnley midfielder David Jones could start after making his debut from the bench in the Owls' defeat by Leeds.

S6fxdXf.png Head To Head V1LHByE.png

▪    Brentford haven't won any of their last six league games against Sheffield Wednesday (D2 L4).

▪    The Owls have lost only one of their last 10 trips to the Bees in all competitions, winning five and drawing four.

▪    Scott Hogan has netted eight goals in his last eight league appearances for Brentford.

▪    The Owls have lost consecutive league games for the first time since September 2015; they last lost three in a row in May 2014.

▪    Brentford are unbeaten in their last six league games at Griffin Park, winning five (D1).

▪    Sheffield Wednesday have scored just two goals in their opening four games; their lowest return at this stage of the season since 2005-06.

sdXdhiL.png

KING CARLOS’ WORDS OF WISDOM

“I expect our team to be back playing with a big soul and this is the main point.If our team play with a big soul and keep the process improving, then that’s what we ask. We did a lot of correct things against Leeds which is why created a lot of chances but if we play with more soul and more heart – these are the things I want to see on the pitch.

v94mxpE.jpg

“After, the result will be the consequence of the process and the heart and let’s see which team is more strong on the pitch. I think they are better this season than last season, they play with quality, good players and good organisation. The two games that they did at home, they won both and it will be tough we know that.”

MINTYNESS

We are here to fight!

RholRrn.gif

Morning all.

Nice one Pauli.  :biggrin:

Time to get back to winning ways.  Think something will finally click in this game, as we come away with a much needed 3 points.  I'm going for a 3-1 Wednesday win,  Forestieri, Fletcher and Abdi the scorers.  

LETS DO THIS!!

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

It is true though.

In England in them days, or in Brentford at least, you could just be cake walkin' down the street and fancy a Saveloy. Yeah. Break it off the bush and pop it into your mouth. Just like that. Girls in mini skirts and nice tight tops are getting some sunshine on their delightful thighs and breasts right now. And you would be just sittin' there licking that Saveloy and thinking about stuff. Or reading owlstalk at 1 o'clock in the morning. 

For sure. Of this I am absoluterly certain.

Edited by pauli
Swear filter is a fuckpipe

Nice OMDT pauli, REALLY nice...!

BELTER

Heart says lose, head says lose by even more so I'm going 1-3 to the Owls.

Tis the Wednesday Way

Hi to 'adg' ... Welcome to Owlstalk

Yeah you go stick it to 'em FO, right where it hurts, right in the Saveloys!

Great OMDT as per usual Pauli. We need to get the SWFC Express back on the rails PDQ!

Release the Kracken, slaughter the Saveloys, massacre the mash and exterminate the eels! 

Edited by Utah Owl

article-2252760-0307957E0000044D-669_470x290.jpg Hi all you lovely Wednesdayite boys & Girls. Left my baby at Stanstead again and I'm staying in The Victoria Plaza for a couple of days. I've decided to spend a few days in Cyprus with Nev and his wife and he has promised to introduce me to the Guzelyurt Owls Supporters Club so really looking forward to that guz.jpg. I was up at theirs last week, so disappointed that I wasn't aware of them going on holiday because I would have given them a lift over to Cyprus. As it is with an early Sunday flight out of Manchester Nev & Di haven't organised Brentford tickets, feel so guilty. Diane is great she did me a traditional British Meat and Potato Pie with Nevs favourite sauce PID1198.jpg I thought it would be an acquired taste but Hey, really loved it. I was a little shocked after the game that so many chins were on the floor as I thought we did more than enough to win though we weren't at our best. Not making any predictions for tomorrow but I'm sure all the boys will give of their best. Bye For now then Love you all Tay Tay big X for Pauli taylorbrighton.jpg  

Brilliant Pauli OMTD mate :baby:

After a terrible week I'm backing the lads to get back on track with a 2-1 win, don't care who scores just flipping score!

Also are Emus the arch nemesis to the Shadow Llama? I'd pay to see that film......its gotta be better than suicide squad.

and finally I saw this today and and as it was recently the 30th anniversary of my favourite childhood film can you adapt these guys into your next OMTD maybe as Giant Shadow Llamas official theme music!

lol