What TV Series are you watching?

On 20/02/2021 at 17:49, Essix Blue said:

I seem to think I’ve watched 83 and maybe 86 but I can’t remember a thing about it 

Young East German lad doing his service gets posted to Bonn to spy on the west. Sees there may be a promble when NATO starts organizing some maneouvres

On 21/02/2021 at 22:06, Essix Blue said:

Bloodlands- bbc1. James Nesbitt doesn’t play a copper very well - very wooden acting all round. 

Thought it was OK.

On the surface seems a bit bog(side) standard. But maybe there's some twist and turns with the IRA link.

Although he's always has to live up to the high standards of Line of Duty, Jed Mercurio flopped with S5 of that and the Bodyguard was rubbish. Hopefully this one doesn't go the same way

• Like 2
On 22/02/2021 at 09:42, Kate said:

Just finished Behind her Eyes

What the actual f*ck was that?! 

Has anyone else seen it?

It was pretty decent I thought. Pretty bizarre but some good performances. Was a bit WTF at the end, and the sort of ending where you think 'hmm, I bet if I now looked back with this new information they'd be things that just didn't make sense'. You know where a twist feels added at the end rather than always being the intentions? 

Did enjoy it though. 

9 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Although he's always has to live up to the high standards of Line of Duty, Jed Mercurio flopped with S5 of that and the Bodyguard was rubbish. Hopefully this one doesn't go the same way

Agree totally. Bodyguard wasn’t very good - and the H story in LoD is just dragging on way too long. 

10 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Young East German lad doing his service gets posted to Bonn to spy on the west. Sees there may be a promble when NATO starts organizing some maneouvres

Rings a bell. Might rewatch it

1 hour ago, Essix Blue said:

Agree totally. Bodyguard wasn’t very good - and the H story in LoD is just dragging on way too long. 

+1

Bodyguard was hugely overrated and Richard Madden was absolutely wooden.

I do like Line of Duty, but was well disappointed with S5. The subplot went mainstream and the lost something in the process. LoD has always toed a fine line between the credible and ridiculous (anti-corruption officers having machine gun battles in the streets - really......) but I thought S5 just tipped over into complete parody. LoD was always at it's best when it kept things down to earth; the interview room scenes for example were extraordinarily dramatic.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

+1

I do like Line of Duty, but was well disappointed with S5. The subplot went mainstream and the lost something in the process. LoD has always toed a fine line between the credible and ridiculous (anti-corruption officers having machine gun battles in the streets - really......) but I thought S5 just tipped over into complete parody. LoD was always at it's best when it kept things down to earth; the interview room scenes for example were extraordinarily dramatic.

Season 5 of LoD just absolutely screamed 'I have unexpectedly been given two extra seasons and now need to massively pad out the story I had originally planned'.

I think all sense of believability disappeared at the exact same moment you identified - Kate getting up from an interrogation, grabbing a rifle, sprinting out into the street and sniping the driver of a moving car from 400 yards away like a mental '80s action hero.  But by this point it's nowhere near the stupidest thing that has happened.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

+1

I was late to LoD. Started S1 when S4 âme out I think. I thought it was good, well written good screenplay etc. But I didn’t realise the same storyline would drag on season after season - I thought there’d be new cases. Disappointed but will still watch S6

55 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

I was late to LoD. Started S1 when S4 âme out I think. I thought it was good, well written good screenplay etc. But I didn’t realise the same storyline would drag on season after season - I thought there’d be new cases. Disappointed but will still watch S6

To be fair, for four seasons it was very good indeed; cases which were all standalone but which also tied into a broader sub-plot of high level police corruption lurking in the background. S4 was probably my favourite - Thandie Newton's DCI Roz Huntley was a particularly vile protagonist even amongst LoD's rogues gallery and you just wanted her to be taken down so badly...... But for me it was those cat and mouse games between the AC12 team and the copper under suspicion, the way the advantage could shift from one side of the table to the other in a moment that were it's signature. I think they lost that USP with the Stephen Graham character, who served a fundamentally different role in the LoD universe.

7 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

Another hand up for Bodyguard being a bit rubbish.

Do agree that the H thing turned too many times as well. Still really enjoyed the series. I didn't watch any LoD until first lockdown as I have been burnt so many times by finally watching these BBC things that everyone raves about and finding them so insipid (like Bodyguard), but LoD was excellent and enthralling.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

Rings a bell. Might rewatch it

Series 2 - east Germany try to pay for their collapsing society by buying weapons in South Africa to sell to Angolan communists. They buy a cruise ship to smuggle the weapons in. 

10 hours ago, jamsandwich said:

Series 2 - east Germany try to pay for their collapsing society by buying weapons in South Africa to sell to Angolan communists. They buy a cruise ship to smuggle the weapons in. 

That doesn’t ring a bell. Is it worth watching?

2 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Killer Motive, Season 1 & 2...

See No Evil, Season 7...

💥

A man after my own heart! Just started watching "Body Cam", holy shit that's some tense stuff!