Dalian Atkinson tazered to death by police

Here's the BBC report, seems he had a medical condition which probably means he was more vulnerable than a fully fit person would have been (although how the Police were to know that is beyond me). Regardless it is a terrible thing to have happened and no doubt there will be a proper inquiry into the circumstances.

In the meantime my heart goes out to the family to whom I offer my deepest sympathies.

R.I.P. Dalian, some happy memories from your short time at S6.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37082207

4 hours ago, LeBurnside said:

Lives 2 mins from me, People say the police feared for another Man, and he was tasered. Must have had a heart condition or something. 

Was listening to a news report in the car on the way home, not sure if I heard it correct that it was his Brother but somebody said he was currently receiving Kidney Dialysis treatment, so likely had a weakened set of organs. The person was saying that when the Police know that they're about to deploy a Taser, an Ambulance should be called out mandatory, as the police have no clue as to whether the person that they're about to Taser, is of sound body etc.

26 minutes ago, Lees Tom Cat said:

Just heard the witness statement on radio. Sounds horrific. 

Tasered him. Kicked him when down.and then repeated tapered him.

Does not sound good.

One witness has stated by just being tasered he was bound to die. So would take their statements lightly right now

1 hour ago, darklord said:

Tasers should be banned.  waste of a life. 

Rip Dalian 

Sorry I fail to see the logic in your statement, the recent attack on an unarmed female police officer by a man wielding an axe whilst attending a routine call to a domestic fight only came to an end when the attacker was tasered, thankfully she wasn't killed but a fractured skull, broken leg and losing fingers is hardly getting off likely, I suggest you do some research into the effectiveness of taser as a control measure and a deterrent before spouting such b0ll@x.

19 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

Sorry I fail to see the logic in your statement, the recent attack on an unarmed female police officer by a man wielding an axe whilst attending a routine call to a domestic fight only came to an end when the attacker was tasered, thankfully she wasn't killed but a fractured skull, broken leg and losing fingers is hardly getting off likely, I suggest you do some research into the effectiveness of taser as a control measure and a deterrent before spouting such b0ll@x.

This...

as as far as I'm aware there has been no deaths from Tazer incidents and they are used fairly often where lives are in danger. A Tazer is not dangerous to fit and healthy people , it just appears it may have triggered something .. Who knows , the post mortem will reveal all , not simpletons giving silly "eye witness" statements. 

7 minutes ago, Mav-erick said:

This...

as as far as I'm aware there has been no deaths from Tazer incidents and they are used fairly often where lives are in danger. A Tazer is not dangerous to fit and healthy people , it just appears it may have triggered something .. Who knows , the post mortem will reveal all , not simpletons giving silly "eye witness" statements. 

Took me five seconds - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/fresh-concern-raised-over-taser-safety-after-seventh-death-in-10-years-8702251.html

It's the kicking that particularly appals me. I can't understand why that's ever part of reasonable force especially on an unarmed man. Remember watching him when I was 12 and how it took me ages to get over us selling him. Let's hope we can have a fitting tribute. RIP Dalian. 

4 minutes ago, LanceKeyring said:

It's the kicking that particularly appals me. I can't understand why that's ever part of reasonable force especially on an unarmed man. Remember watching him when I was 12 and how it took me agyes to get over us selling him. Let's hope we can have a fitting tribute. RIP Dalian. 

If he was kicked at any time that is indefensible, however, plenty of people are only to pleased to allege all sorts of lies against the police. I know.

A great footballer, and some great memories. Blew hot and cold big time but those hot days were good days. Still can't believe that team went down in 1990 with a strike force of Hirst and Atkinson and big Ron in charge. One of those crazy seasons.

Had it all as a player. Was lightening quick but was also a big fella. All the great forwards have a natural ability for body positioning when receiving the ball, he had that and I bet Hirst learned a lot from watching him.

rip big fella .

2 hours ago, darklord said:

Rip Dalian 

Absolute rubbish. They are only used in extreme cases and when there are aggressive threats or a risk of loss of live. The police need something to control the extremities they come across. They are putting their own lives on the line to protect jo public. We dont know the full facts of whats happened so we shouldnt make conclusions. 

I have already said my sympathies regarding Dalian who came across as a nice fella and brilliant CF.

2 hours ago, darklord said:

Rip Dalian 

Maybe if they are to be issued then a defrib machine should be standard equipment with them.

Not sure if true but the Birmingham news article report a witness saying 3 were used. That seems very excessive 

RIP Dalian

There are certain players who, if they are on their game, they can destroy any opposition. Di Canio and Waddle are prime examples but Atkinson as a youngster could also be terrifying.

I well remember stood next to a Liverpool fan on the Kop - first game there for them after the disaster, they were top, we were bottom and we won 2-0 - Atkinson solo in last minute. I only gloated for about 2 years. 

Puts a perspective on the Fessi drama.  God rest yer Dalian. You didn't deserve that as an ending.  

RIP 

People always rightly remember the goal against Liverpool but I'll never forget being on the Kop when he scored his first goal for us, a sweet volley on the turn to equalise in the last minute against Everton.  Would have loved him to have stayed and tore the second division a new one, but with hindsight we were obviously a better team after spending his transfer money.

RIP Dalian. It feels unreal. One of those times when you just wish you could rewind the clock and make it unhappen. A great talent, who might well have won an England cap or two had he played in a different era. You only have to watch the videos of him scoring -for us, of course, but also, in particular, that wonderful effort for Villa against Wimbledon- to see what a player he could be.