What a signing 30 Years Ago - David Hirst

2 hours ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

David Hirst was phenomenal.

By far the best striker I've seen play for the Wednesday in my lifetime. He had it all and scored numerous crackers. There was no better sight than seeing Hirst in full flight terrifying defences.

It makes me wonder how much he'd have been worth in today's market?

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Screen-shot-2015-11-16-at-16_32_55.png

Take whatever Harry Kane is worth now and double it... atleast that.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Did it?

My memory is addled but I remember his debut and knew he was really special. I know he didnt burst onto the scene like Owen or Rooney, but did it really take 3-4 years?

like I say, my kids bought mea mug for Fathers Day, with "My memory is not what it used to be, and my memory is not what it used to be."

Second half of third season in 88/89 he became a regular when 21.Was then up front with Steve Whitton. Up to then in and out. Main two who kept him out first 2 and half seasons were West and Chapman. Others who played up front in that period Shutt, Bradshaw, Reeves,Varadi(2nd spell). 

Had the fiercest shot I've seen. 

Was fearless.

Would chase down lost causes. 

Was direct. would run at defenders and scare them to death.

Was brilliant at turning defenders when he had his back to goal.

Could finish from anywhere. Could make his own goals or be a poacher. 

Great in the air.

Never failed at one on ones.

Fast, strong, skillful

What a player. 

So many superlatives to describe Hirst in his prime. Was watching Euros this summer and thinking there wasn't a striker in the tournament that could touch the Cudworth Cowboy on his day.

For those not old enough - you missed seeing someone truly special. Did everything, so many memories - League Cup Semi Final goal 91 v Chelsea, FA Cup Final equalizer 93 v Arsenal, two-footed challenge on Mitch Ward at the Lane (only got a yellow :biggrin:), runs and scores from half-way versus Hull and Man City, 20+ yard pile-drivers to score against Man Utd, Newcastle, Villa, Southampton, Tottenham, Liverpool, Luton, Leicester - no goalkeeper was safe.

And a special mention for Howard Wilkinson, who was there to sign the best striker I believe I will ever see don the blue and white stripes; and was there again as Chairman to steer us towards calmer waters which took us to where we are today. Sgt Wilko I salute you!

Edited by DevOwls Advocate

If memory serves me correctly, he really picked up when Big Ron arrived. He said in an interview that under Wilkinson he would often be too knackered to take a chance because of the way Wilkinson set the team up. Scored some wonderful goals that at the time were just different, the direct running set him apart from others. The goal that sticks out for me was against West Ham in 88 or 89 at home. Seem to remember it was a clearance, it bounced once in front of DH and he swivelled and volleyed from about 35 yards. I've never found a video of it, so if anyone has it please post.