What a signing 30 Years Ago - David Hirst

David Hirst was phenomenal.

By far the best striker I've seen play for the Wednesday in my lifetime. He had it all and scored numerous crackers. There was no better sight than seeing Hirst in full flight terrifying defences.

It makes me wonder how much he'd have been worth in today's market?

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Screen-shot-2015-11-16-at-16_32_55.png

Guest Hirstpower

Better than shearer at the time fergie was after Hirst.

in today's market he would probably fetch a world record fee, as he was just a special player that his son George will not come even close to emulating.

3 years ago I bumbed in to Ian Wright and we spoke about Hirst and he even admitted that he was the best around and That Tony Adams hated playing against Hirsty.

we will never ever have a striker that was undoubtably the complete striker.

8 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Power, pace, immense in the air, venom in his right foot and TNT in his left.

Took him 3 to 4 years to blossom so let's be patient with his lad.

Did it?

My memory is addled but I remember his debut and knew he was really special. I know he didnt burst onto the scene like Owen or Rooney, but did it really take 3-4 years?

like I say, my kids bought mea mug for Fathers Day, with "My memory is not what it used to be, and my memory is not what it used to be."

I have so many happy memories of watching DH play, and his ability in all spheres, i.e. pace, heading, powerful shot from both feet, were legendary, but his bravery was the attribute that helped him excel in all of these.

My favorite memory of him was in a home game against Forest. Stuart Pearce (Psycho) was in his pomp and feared throughout the game of football. A fifty-fifty ball landed between the two of them and would have been Psycho's every time against anyone else.  They met like rutting stags and David Hirst carried on with the ball towards the Kop, leaving Pearce sat on his ass. I think DC went on to score but at my age one's memory plays tricks, but whether he did or not, it still remains one of my abiding memories of the best player by a country mile to have worn a Wednesday shirt during my sixty years of supporting them.

If young George attains half of his dad's ability he will be a good player but, please, lets give the lad a chance.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Did it?

My memory is addled but I remember his debut and knew he was really special. I know he didnt burst onto the scene like Owen or Rooney, but did it really take 3-4 years?

like I say, my kids bought mea mug for Fathers Day, with "My memory is not what it used to be, and my memory is not what it used to be."

Without looking it up I think for a few seasons Hirst was a bit of a young squad player rather then a first team regular.

Wilkinson probably did the right thing in hindsight braking him in gently into the first team.

Cant help but feel if it was not for Steve Bould he would have gone on the play for England a lot more and who knows what else. A great player but injuries stopped him reaching his full potential internationally.

20 minutes ago, dumboldowl said:

My favorite memory of him was in a home game against Forest. Stuart Pearce (Psycho) was in his pomp and feared throughout the game of football. A fifty-fifty ball landed between the two of them and would have been Psycho's every time against anyone else.  They met like rutting stags and David Hirst carried on with the ball towards the Kop, leaving Pearce sat on his ass. I think DC went on to score but at my age one's memory plays tricks.

I have already admitted in this thread that my memory is shot, but I know I would remember if Hirst and Chansiri was our forward line in the 90s.

1 hour ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

David Hirst was phenomenal.

By far the best striker I've seen play for the Wednesday in my lifetime. He had it all and scored numerous crackers. There was no better sight than seeing Hirst in full flight terrifying defences.

It makes me wonder how much he'd have been worth in today's market?

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Screen-shot-2015-11-16-at-16_32_55.png

Couldn't agree more, in today's market as its so ridiculous you could have been talking a world record fee because he is a home grown talent, if Sterling was worth 48 million or whatever, you'd have been in Pogba territory for Hirst.

2 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Power, pace, immense in the air, venom in his right foot and TNT in his left.

Took him 3 to 4 years to blossom so let's be patient with his lad.

Only because Colon West kept getting the nod ahead of him.

Loved it when Hirsty got fouled. Everybody knew first chance he'd get he would give it back with some extra. Doubt he'd last long with the current rules though. Outstanding player who had everything prior to being nobbled.