Joelswfc's Big Thread Of Stats

4 hours ago, joelswfc said:

Bannan had 65 touches vs Villa, compared to 85 vs Norwich. These graphics definitely suggest he massively stepped up his game for Norwich.

Attached files: 

Bannan touches vs Villa

Bannan touches vs Norwich

Bannan heat map vs Villa

Bannan heat map vs Norwich

Bannan touches vs Villa.png

Bannan touches vs Norwich.png

Bannan heat map vs Villa.png

Bannan heat map vs Norwich.png

Very interesting joel thanks.

1 hour ago, SouthStandParty said:

Ive just seen the Rooney goal. Headed it in from a shot by Martial that was on its way to hit the corner flag. I'm guessing Martial will get an 'assist' for that?

Stats eh?! Brilliant. lol

"Assist". A silly stat really. A lot of the time it fails to tell you who actually made the goal. 

Ok technically it's the final touch that sets a goal up but there's so much variation it can often become pointless.

I remember Matias at Ipswich last season. He made the goal by driving at the fullback, taking him on and putting in a dangerous cross. Keeper touches it on to Wallace, so Matias doesn't get the assist. Wednesday fans who have seen it know who made the goal, but the stat man looking back sees Matias on 0 assists. 

The other side to it is highlighted by a goal like Wallace's at Fulham. Nuhiu is credited with an assist, but has he done anything brilliant or out of the ordinary to make it? He's done well and deserves credit for a good piece of play, but all he's done is play a pass out wide to set up an attack. Most of the time it's just another pass in a game. Wallace has made the goal with a bit of brilliance. 

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould

6 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Minutes per goal ratio is another stupid one that seems to get used to overhype or downplay the impact of a forward. Really doesn't tell you much at all.

I agree with you about assists being misleading, but why are minutes per goal not important? 

Surely it is a valuable and logical comparison of a striker who scores say 18 in 40 matches, and another who scores say 10 in 15 because he was injured or bought later?

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I agree with you about assists being misleading, but why are minutes per goal not important? 

Surely it is a valuable and logical comparison of a striker who scores say 18 in 40 matches, and another who scores say 10 in 15 because he was injured or bought later?

Minutes per goal is just an average. It doesn't take into account the number of different games the goals have been scored in, the quality of opposition....

If a player plays 10 full games for example and scores 4 goals, that's 900 total minutes and supposedly a goal every 225 minutes. But that could be 4 in 1 game against poor opposition and 9 poor performances without scoring. 

Or it could be 1 goal in 4 different games and 4 1-0 wins. Same ratio but a more frequent goal scorer.

Of course I'm just throwing random numbers out there but its relevant. 

You certainly can't make any projections based on minutes per goal ratios. A goal every 225 minutes doesn't mean you can apply that to a total for a full season. It just doesn't work like that.