Joelswfc's Big Thread Of Stats

Joel, could you possibly give me the heat map and touch map of Bannan's from both the Villa game and the Norwich game so I can compare them?

Thought he was one of our worst players on the pitch against Villa and then absolutely bossed it during Norwich, just wanna see if I was correct or perhaps doing him a little bit of a disservice against Villa

On 08/08/2016 at 08:50, joelswfc said:

This is going to be the matchday version of my world famous 'Best Of Twitter' thread. Any stats about SWFC I find interesting will be posted in here.

Feel welcome to add any yourselves.

Are you related to this gentleman ? lol

http://you-are-the-ref.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/statto.jpg

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Joel, could you possibly give me the heat map and touch map of Bannan's from both the Villa game and the Norwich game so I can compare them?

Thought he was one of our worst players on the pitch against Villa and then absolutely bossed it during Norwich, just wanna see if I was correct or perhaps doing him a little bit of a disservice against Villa

Bannan had 65 touches vs Villa, compared to 85 vs Norwich. These graphics definitely suggest he massively stepped up his game for Norwich.

Attached files: 

Bannan touches vs Villa

Bannan touches vs Norwich

Bannan heat map vs Villa

Bannan heat map vs Norwich

Bannan touches vs Villa.png

Bannan touches vs Norwich.png

Bannan heat map vs Villa.png

Bannan heat map vs Norwich.png

4 minutes ago, joelswfc said:

Bannan had 65 touches vs Villa, compared to 85 vs Norwich. These graphics definitely suggest he massively stepped up his game for Norwich.

Attached files: 

Bannan touches vs Villa

Bannan touches vs Norwich

Bannan heat map vs Villa

Bannan heat map vs Norwich

Cheers pal

Tells me two things, firstly he touched the ball far more and controlled the game far more in the centre of midfield just infront of the defenders V Norwich (far more touches out wider for Villa, probably reflecting their tendency to attack the flanks more) and secondly he was far more comfortable getting forward vs Norwich comparatively. Whether that was Carlos telling him to do so or whether he'd grown in enough confidence to cross the halfway line more, either way it looks a far more dominating performance than last week... dictating the game rather than just reacting to it 

8 minutes ago, SouthStandParty said:

The real meaning of statistics in football.

Stats

A few points:

-Stats are only good in context. Hearing that Bannan had more touches V Norwich is useless in isolation. When taken into account that they were two very similar games, we can therefore conclude there's more of a chance he had a better game V Norwich. Again, we can't draw that conclusion as it's an isolated stat, but when you take into account distance travelled with and without the ball, pass accuracy etc, you can get an idea with these few data points as to whether he had a better game or not. 

-If stats were largely useless, why do we now pay £30k+ a year for analysers to do their analysing, and why do scouts in the modern day have to use statistics and statistical programmes to supplement their scouting?

-Brentford are the best example of stats done right. Their entire recruitment is based on stats alone, and they've overachieved for years for a club of their size

Statistics will never tell a whole story and can absolutely be misleading if used incorrectly, but they can also provide a fascinating insight and offer good supplementary knowledge. 

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

A few points:

-Stats are only good in context. Hearing that Bannan had more touches V Norwich is useless in isolation. When taken into account that they were two very similar games, we can therefore conclude there's more of a chance he had a better game V Norwich. Again, we can't draw that conclusion as it's an isolated stat, but when you take into account distance travelled with and without the ball, pass accuracy etc, you can get an idea with these few data points as to whether he had a better game or not. 

-If stats were largely useless, why do we now pay £30k+ a year for analysers to do their analysing, and why do scouts in the modern day have to use statistics and statistical programmes to supplement their scouting?

-Brentford are the best example of stats done right. Their entire recruitment is based on stats alone, and they've overachieved for years for a club of their size

Statistics will never tell a whole story and can absolutely be misleading if used incorrectly, but they can also provide a fascinating insight and offer good supplementary knowledge. 

Only 43% of people will read that post to the end lol

Only joking Student, excellent post.

I like these stats if nothing else they make for interesting reading. Can I make a suggestions of a thread for each game pre match scouting and post match analysis.

could we Also get a month end report alongside a year to date report with comparisons with the rest of the division

thanks

29 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I like these stats if nothing else they make for interesting reading. Can I make a suggestions of a thread for each game pre match scouting and post match analysis.

could we Also get a month end report alongside a year to date report with comparisons with the rest of the division

thanks

I think I will keep it all in this thread, but I will longer term reviews as you suggest.

However if people think individual threads would be better I am very happy to do that.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

A few points:

Sabermetrics for football! Saved you all reading :stuwinky:

Good post though StudentOwl, all its missing is some good old Harvard referencing.

@joelswfc what programme do you use for all these stats? Brilliant stuff this thread its getting a shortcut on my desktop.

Do you have a heat map of Abdi vs Norwich / stat that shows the direction of his passes? Feels like Lee and Bannan are slightly more attacking than him, which is odd, or maybe my eyes are lying to me.

Edited by Del_Liles

1 minute ago, Del_Liles said:

Sabermetrics for football! Saved you all reading :stuwinky:

Good post though StudentOwl, all its missing is some good old Harvard referencing.

@joelswfc what programme do you use for all these stats? Brilliant stuff this thread is getting spot on my desktop.

Do you have a heat map of Abdi vs Norwich / stat that shows the direction of his passes? Feels like Lee and Bannan are slightly more attacking than him, which is odd, or maybe my eyes are lying to me.

There are loads of programmes and sites that gice you all sorts of data, although WhoScored.com is my personal favourite.

Abdi had 66 touches, compared to Bannan's 85 and Lee's 58.

Attached files:

Abdi heatmap

Bannan heatmap

Lee heatmap

Abdi touches

To avoid confusion, our goal is the one on the right of all the graphics.

Abdi heatmap vs Norwich.png

Baz heatmap vs Norwich.png

Lee heatmap vs Norwich.png

Abdi touches vs Norwich.png

So to answer your query @Del_Lilesit would seem like Abdi is actually slightly more offensive than Bannan and Lee, even if that is not what it seems like watching the match. Sadly I'm struggling to find a graphic that shows the direction of Abdi's passes, but if I do I will let you know. 

2 minutes ago, joelswfc said:

So to answer your query @Del_Lilesit would seem like Abdi is actually slightly more offensive than Bannan and Lee, even if that is not what it seems like watching the match. Sadly I'm struggling to find a graphic that shows the direction of Abdi's passes, but if I do I will let you know. 

Hmmm, looks like he is. 

He's only going to get better and better with those 2 but i feel like he should be having more of the ball in and around the box, that midfield 3 could be something very special though.

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Interesting to see how much of the pitch Bannan and Lee cover.

Also, while Abdi was left mid, he spent plenty of the match centrally.

I love the way our players interchange so fluidly.

It's the 4-4-2 going into the 4-3-3 isn't it. Joao was playing the Forestieri roll yesterday. Largely 4-4-2 defensive shape, but for about three quarters of our attacking play you've got Joao pulling wide and Abdi moving inside. 

I honestly thought going from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 would be a near impossible transition on a phase of play basis, but somehow CC's got us pulling it off. Reckon it probably has something to do with how narrow we play in assisting it, but regardless it means we play with a fluidity I never thought possible from a Wednesday side