Joelswfc's Big Thread Of Stats

Aston Villa match review:

Forestieri had 7 shots, 4 more than anyone else on the pitch.

Barry Bannan had 6.1% of possession in the match.

Sam Hutchinson had a pass success rate of 95%. The highest on the pitch. Gestede had 52% pass success. Our least successful passer to start was Jack Hunt with 71%, but Palmer had a pass success rate of 67% after entering the field.

Forestieri attempted 4 dribbles, 3 less than Jordan Ayew's 7. 

Hutchinson and Lees won a combined 11 aerial battles. Baker and Elphick in the Villa defence won 8.

We won 8 tackles during the match compared to Villa's 15.

Sam Hutchinson had more touches than any other player with 65. Abdi was second with 62.

Attached are the team heat maps. SWFC on the left, Villa on the right.

Screenshot 2016-08-08 at 08.59.43.png

1 minute ago, themaskedowl said:

*cough*Megathread*cough*

I'm still in. 

My favourite stat is that it takes Neil approximately 27.9 minutes to censor any thread he deems will be a megathread

In all seriousness Joel, loving the stat muck. Do you have anything on average distance covered by players or individual players, eg Forestieri compared with Ross McCormack for example?

8 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

My favourite stat is that it takes Neil approximately 27.9 minutes to censor any thread he deems will be a megathread

In all seriousness Joel, loving the stat muck. Do you have anything on average distance covered by players or individual players, eg Forestieri compared with Ross McCormack for example?

I can't find that exact stat, although I will keep looking. The nearest I can get are their heatmaps which are attached. Again, FF on the left and RM on the right. Worth noting that FF had 61 touches compared to RM's 29.

Screenshot 2016-08-08 at 09.14.24.png

2 minutes ago, joelswfc said:

I can't find that exact stat, although I will keep looking. The nearest I can get are their heatmaps which are attached. Again, FF on the left and RM on the right. Worth noting that FF had 61 touches compared to RM's 29.

Screenshot 2016-08-08 at 09.14.24.png

I know they said on Sky that McCormack had the fewest touches of any player in the first half. Goes to show that our CB pairing were very good and effectively proves that the only reason Villa were able to create attacking opportunities were because they got wide and at our fullbacks. Probably didn't help we were being outmuscled in midfield at times but again, this is an ongoing problem that we're already aware of. 

Looking at McCormack's heatmap actually backs this up... a lot of joy out wide, very very little centrally around the edge of our area. I said it in another thread but again, fair play to our CB pairing, defensively they were rocks (even if my ass was clenched once both were on a yellow!)

Mentioned in another thread how high Lee seemed to play. He prevented them from playing out from the back and it became a bit of a problem in the 2nd half for us as their keeper went long. Effectively cut him out of the game as they won every 2nd ball that dropped in midfield leaving Bannan outnumbered. It was part of the reason we couldn't get out for a while.

10 minutes ago, joelswfc said:

Average player positions vs Aston Villa. Just need to make sure we remember which players have what numbers!

Screenshot 2016-08-08 at 09.23.56.png

For everyone saying we play 4-4-2... that looks like a 4-3-3 to me with Lee pushing right up

I don't know how Carlos has got us transition from 4-4-2 (because it absolutely is 100% a 4-4-2 defensive formation) to 4-3-3 so seemlessly, but apparently we manage it. It's another reason I suspect we won't see Hooper starting many games this season. Forestieri will naturally drift from his striking role in a 4-4-2 to a wide role in a 4-3-3, 'all' you've then got to do is rejig the midfield a little bit with Abdi coming inside, Bannan stepping back and Wallace pushing wide and we've got a 4-3-3. 

Really is nice to watch when it works. 

3 hours ago, joelswfc said:

Aston Villa match review:

Forestieri had 7 shots, 4 more than anyone else on the pitch.

Barry Bannan had 6.1% of possession in the match.

Sam Hutchinson had a pass success rate of 95%. The highest on the pitch. Gestede had 52% pass success. Our least successful passer to start was Jack Hunt with 71%, but Palmer had a pass success rate of 67% after entering the field.

Forestieri attempted 4 dribbles, 3 less than Jordan Ayew's 7. 

Hutchinson and Lees won a combined 11 aerial battles. Baker and Elphick in the Villa defence won 8.

We won 8 tackles during the match compared to Villa's 15.

Sam Hutchinson had more touches than any other player with 65. Abdi was second with 62.

Attached are the team heat maps. SWFC on the left, Villa on the right.

Screenshot 2016-08-08 at 08.59.43.png

Have you ever kissed a girl or tasted lager ?

2 hours ago, joelswfc said:

Just thought it would be easier in one thread for comparisons during the season.

Crying out for a spreadsheet that. 

With a link in the best answer so it's at the top of the page. 

Just a suggestion mind. 

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

For everyone saying we play 4-4-2... that looks like a 4-3-3 to me with Lee pushing right up

I don't know how Carlos has got us transition from 4-4-2 (because it absolutely is 100% a 4-4-2 defensive formation) to 4-3-3 so seemlessly, but apparently we manage it. It's another reason I suspect we won't see Hooper starting many games this season. Forestieri will naturally drift from his striking role in a 4-4-2 to a wide role in a 4-3-3, 'all' you've then got to do is rejig the midfield a little bit with Abdi coming inside, Bannan stepping back and Wallace pushing wide and we've got a 4-3-3. 

Really is nice to watch when it works. 

We absolutely did not play 442 yesterday.

Was clear watching it, and now from Joals heat map, that we had FF Abdi Lee Bannan Wallace across the pitch

I think this will be ok with Fletch on the field, but whenever he is out injured or subbed there is an issue that Hooper is poor at being the 1 up front. Does Carlos trust Joao or Nuhiu to play that role? Doubt it. First test of this could be Norwich. Hope those 10 stitches mend quickly, but it looked awful.