Hooper love

2 hours ago, harribo said:

This. Second goal against Cardiff last season perfectly sums this up for me.

Clearly isn't lazy just knows when he's best off making a run or chasing the ball down to get a goal. 

All 3 goals prove he's not lazy, quality player and some of our fans are clearly blinkered

2 hours ago, BULGARIA said:

Good question...  i personally dont think he fits in with the team camaraderie. Whenever i see all the players celebrating he never seems to be involved and always seems on the periphery of things. I would bet he is not the most popular team member.

Just my opinion of course.

When goals are scored he celebrates with the rest. So can only assuming you are referring to on pitch and dressing room celebrations after Brighton second leg semi. Pretty sure it was said at the time that having been there and done it the year before he realised getting to Wembley was not something to go OTT about, true success was sealing promotion. I can assure you if we had beat Hull, Hooper would have been partying with the best of them - just has a different benchmark for what success is, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, torres said:

It's probably because he's a bit lazy 

This, it's very difficult to get out of the championship. 

A promotion team needs a forward to have goals,  effort & flexibility.  Hooper has 1 of these. 

It's why his starts for Norwich were limited.  Jerome = Fletcher. 

3 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Firstly, nobody dislikes Hooper. It's ridiculous to even imply that. 

Secondly, nobody is doubting his ability to score a shed load if you play to his strengths. 

The issue that the likes of holmowl can't seem to grasp, is that individual goal tallys are irrelevant. We're trying to get promoted. Points are the be all and end all and there will be a large number of games where "playing to Hooper's strengths" will hinder us, ultimately leaving us short of our goal. 

Thankfully Carlos isn't naive and stupid enough to think that one system conquers all and "oh we need to get Hooper 20 goals, that's how we'll get promoted".

He knows that playing without FF up top means we won't be winning the ball high up the pitch anywhere near as often. He knows that being without your most explosive and creative forward will prevent us pinching points in tight games. He knows we'll sometimes be overrun in midfield with 2 out and out forwards not known for their work rate on the pitch.

He'll set the team up with one goal in mind - WIN. Not - get the best out of Hooper. Of course there'll be times it's necessary but doesn't mean it's our "best" set up. That's how teams get promoted. Rhodes is deadly at this level, but Boro didn't set up to get the best out of him, they used him intelligently when required. Norwich did the same with Hooper when they were promoted.

Spot on. 

5 hours ago, torres said:

It's probably because he's a bit lazy 

Fishing expedition! 

To be honest, I really rate him and his link play often gets missed on here. I'm still exited that we have him....Not so many years ago we had the likes of Dion Burton, Jeffers, Lloyd Owusou (might be spelt wrong).

3 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Firstly, nobody dislikes Hooper. It's ridiculous to even imply that. 

Secondly, nobody is doubting his ability to score a shed load if you play to his strengths. 

The issue that the likes of holmowl can't seem to grasp, is that individual goal tallys are irrelevant. We're trying to get promoted. Points are the be all and end all and there will be a large number of games where "playing to Hooper's strengths" will hinder us, ultimately leaving us short of our goal. 

Thankfully Carlos isn't naive and stupid enough to think that one system conquers all and "oh we need to get Hooper 20 goals, that's how we'll get promoted".

He knows that playing without FF up top means we won't be winning the ball high up the pitch anywhere near as often. He knows that being without your most explosive and creative forward will prevent us pinching points in tight games. He knows we'll sometimes be overrun in midfield with 2 out and out forwards not known for their work rate on the pitch.

He'll set the team up with one goal in mind - WIN. Not - get the best out of Hooper. Of course there'll be times it's necessary but doesn't mean it's our "best" set up. That's how teams get promoted. Rhodes is deadly at this level, but Boro didn't set up to get the best out of him, they used him intelligently when required. Norwich did the same with Hooper when they were promoted.

Completely this. 

Holmowls  assertion that not believing a player should start = dislike for them = simplistic & wrong

45 minutes ago, fatzooma said:

Fishing expedition! 

To be honest, I really rate him and his link play often gets missed on here. I'm still exited that we have him....Not so many years ago we had the likes of Dion Burton, Jeffers, Lloyd Owusou (might be spelt wrong).

There's quite a bit of bad spelling in that tbh lol

22 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Some would call it intelligent, some would call it lazy.

I think he's very intelligent. Good movement, good feet, sees things.  It'll be horses for courses - we have enough attacking players to be flexible. 

Edited by rickygoo

He was a shrewd buy and will be crucial for us. 

I think the only reason he is sometimes outside some of the preferred 11s is because of the wealth of talent we have and because if he hasn't scored for a few games you don't really notice him. We have other players who get involved a bit more and hooper didn't really get a sniff in the playoffs. The thing is though, you want him on the pitch for that moment when he will eventually spring into life.

10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he set the standard for me with his performence in the cardiff game ....if he can keep at around that level he'll do for me .

2 goals and a 50 yard sprint to provide a tap-in assist.

Tough taskmaster.