New Badge on South Stand

2 minutes ago, Beatson said:

Anyone walked past the south stand in the past Hour? Sure I heard welding or something, would check but got bread in oven and bacon and sausages need marinating.

What's up wi HP sauce mate?

24 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

P.S. @DeeJayOne no one knows what our original kit looked like. Not that it's important. Lots of clubs went with different styles in their fledgling years as at that point they had no tradition.

Actually, we have a good idea what our original kit was. The first 'uniform' was worn in 1875 and was hoops. We wore hoops until at least 1881. The next recorded kit then was blue and white quarters (like Blackburn Rovers). We didn't wear stripes until 1890 - and guess what?! They were PINSTRIPES! (Albeit the opposite way around with wider white stripes and blue pinstripes, like our mid/late-80s kit). The more familiar equal stripes didn't come in until at least a year later.

I assume you refer to nobody knowing before 1875? Well, we do actually have a good idea of that too - uniform club kits weren't really a thing at that time (especially in 'Sheffield rules') and so players wore whatever they had to hand and teams were noted by their caps and scarves/sashes (worn in royal blue for Wednesday).

So, no - we didn't start out in stripes (we didn't wear uniform stripes for around the first quarter of a century of our existence!) and if we're talking 'traditional' in the sense of 'oldest' then hoops would mostly likely be our 'traditional' kit. Of course I get what people mean when they use 'traditional' in the sense of 'familiar' instead and inarguably now that is equal stripes. I just don't subscribe to us always having to wear equal stripes and think a temporary change is fine every now and then.

14 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Actually, we have a good idea what our original kit was. The first 'uniform' was worn in 1875 and was hoops. We wore hoops until at least 1881. The next recorded kit then was blue and white quarters (like Blackburn Rovers). We didn't wear stripes until 1890 - and guess what?! They were PINSTRIPES! (Albeit the opposite way around with wider white stripes and blue pinstripes, like our mid/late-80s kit). The more familiar equal stripes didn't come in until at least a year later.

I assume you refer to nobody knowing before 1875? Well, we do actually have a good idea of that too - uniform club kits weren't really a thing at that time (especially in 'Sheffield rules') and so players wore whatever they had to hand and teams were noted by their caps and scarves/sashes (worn in royal blue for Wednesday).

So, no - we didn't start out in stripes (we didn't wear uniform stripes for around the first quarter of a century of our existence!) and if we're talking 'traditional' in the sense of 'oldest' then hoops would mostly likely be our 'traditional' kit. Of course I get what people mean when they use 'traditional' in the sense of 'familiar' instead and inarguably now that is equal stripes. I just don't subscribe to us always having to wear equal stripes and think a temporary change is fine every now and then.

We're all aware or the history of our kit.

We didn't wear pinstripes, just narrower stripes.

If the pinstripes, (which by the way were a concession as DC originally intended on plain blue), aren't a big deal, then why the clamour to rewrite our history to make them fit?

Anyway we settled on our colours and pattern in 1891. I'm sure you can admit that that is a long enough time to be classed as tradition?!!!

We weren't the Owls in those early years either. So is that not traditional enough for you either? Ok for that to be changed? (Not suggesting that's on the cards BTW just making a point)

As I said what went before is not important as traditions are formed naturally over several generations and ours is to wear stripes as we have done for the vast majority of our history. 

Edited by Donny.Owl

3 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Anyway we settled on our colours and pattern in 1891. I'm sure you can admit that that is a long enough time to be classed as tradition?!!!

In case you missed it:

17 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Of course I get what people mean when they use 'traditional' in the sense of 'familiar' instead and inarguably now that is equal stripes. I just don't subscribe to us always having to wear equal stripes and think a temporary change is fine every now and then.

1 minute ago, Donny.Owl said:

Didn't miss it. As I replied, traditions are formed over years.  Your attempt to change the definition doesn't change the argument. lol

But I didn't change the definition. I was objectively pointing out how some people see tradition in their own right, not what I thought of that, per se. For clarity, for the most part I am agreeing with you that in sense of familiarity equal stripes are our 'traditional' kit.

You're forming an argument where there is none. :biggrin:

11 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

In case you missed it:

Also (sorry I'm getting ready for work!), I don't mind a temporary change either. Just don't like the kit but taste is subjective.

The worry is that it's a permanent change based on the Owners personal tastes.

3 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

But I didn't change the definition. I was objectively pointing out how some people see tradition in their own right, not what I thought of that, per se. For clarity, for the most part I am agreeing with you that in sense of familiarity equal stripes are our 'traditional' kit.

You're forming an argument where there is none. :biggrin:

lol

I'm in an argumentative mood, it's opening match day and I have to go to work! 

Just to chip in to the Stripes/pin stripes argument, I have a question for ALL football fans. Why does any club, not just Wednesday, keep changing the strip they wear?

The simple answer is MONEY. The one club which seemingly has not changed their strip is Arsenal, although there may be others.A simple walk from the W'ite carp park, towards the Chinese Chippy, then on past the Kop to the South Stand shows supporters wearing a number of different strips.I, personally, wear the Puma  Blue ,with a grey side stripe and a grey flash on the left shoulder, sold at the same time as the 'Children's Hospital' one.