Lee back to RB

50 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

The fact he has ANY critics is mental

people on here are always so keen to drop him, move him, replace him etc 

The only criticism anyone should have on him is he should shoot more often.

Other than that he's a class act.

Don't get what the obsession is with trying to fit players into team.

Just play the best team with the best players in their positions. 

If that means Lee sits on bench then so be it!

He wouldn't be in my first 11 as it stands!

5 minutes ago, poite said:

He was a fullback when we brought him in though wasnt he?

Debatable

He trained and was bought up as a midfielder at Man U, converted to a fullback at Oldham. Think it's safe to say that he can play either roll competently. There's a reason he didn't stay at fullback though and went back to his more favoured CM position

51 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

This exactly, personally expect to see

----------------BACK FIVE------------------

-------Lee--------------------Bannan-------

-------------------Abdi------------------------

---------------------------------Forestieri---

--------Hooper-------------------------------

----------------------Fletcher----------------

Formation won't be symmetrical, and width will come from full backs and occasionally Lee and Bannan drifting wide, although they'd be largely central. Hooper playing across between a wide man in the front 3 and a traditional striker alongside Fletcher. We know he likes to come deep to get the ball so that would suit him. Forestieri drifting behind the pseudo-front two partially wide but also coming in narrow at times. 

We also have Matias to replace any of Hooper and Forestieri if necessary, Wallace to come on if we want the same system as last season with a slightly more 4-4-2 look about it and Joao to replace either Hooper or Fletcher. Definitely feel we need to remove any idea of symmetrical formations out the window though, we're going to see some wonderful attacking shapes next season

I think you're spot on with personnel and I expect our midfield / forwards to be very fluid, with BB and FF swapping left sided mid based on proximity more than anything, FF and AA swPping who is furthest forward and KL and AA taking right side as and when needed. Width coming from full backs and Wallace, Matias, Jaoa and big Dave there if needed to step in. 

Its to a long season and strongest one off team very rarely plays 50 plus games so any number of combinations may occur. One thing is for sure I'm glad we have AA and Melo to a degree as I thought towards end of season that our two midfield dynamos had run their selves into the ground. At least now we can rest them and not expect the people that cover most ground to play the most games. 

17 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Westwood

Hunt     Lees     Hutch     Pudil

Lee     Bannan     Abdi

Forestieri

Hooper     Fletcher

In the first few Matches I think we will see that the only question marks are Lee, Wallace and  Bannan. One of them will miss out. I agree with you it is likely to be the Wallace.

Amazed at those wanting Hooper out.

Doubly amazed at those wanting an unproven Matias in.

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

No it wouldn't, Lee has played most of his career at right back

Fact is with Hooper, Fletcher, Wallace, Forestieri, Bannan, Abdi, Lee, Matias a couple of quality players are going to have to spend some time on the bench unless they can be moved elsewhere. Lee already has another position he is fully competent at. No brainer. If Abdi is as good as they say he is, then he will be taking the centre with one other player. If it's Lee you have to have Bannan on the bench which is a waste or on the left which is a waste. 

No he hasn't. He's played most of his career in centre midfield with a brief stint at right back. 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

In the first few Matches I think we will see that the only question marks are Lee, Wallace and  Bannan. One of them will miss out. I agree with you it is likely to be the Wallace.

See, I just don't see how there can be a question mark over Lee - he played in every single league game except Reading at home and Wolves away last season, and he had by far the most minutes on the pitch out of all our players.

I just don't see him going from being our most-used player to his position being under threat. Carlos bloody loves him!

2 hours ago, S_W_F_C said:

He never actually played right back for us, or very rarely if so.

Jones didn't play him at all until later in the season when he played right mid, it wasn't until Gray put him centre mid we saw the player we have.

He was busy playing JJ at Right Back.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Yep

you just need to pay more attention

its already happened a few times in pre-season, was constant throughout last and will likely be the same through this

I pay attention but as I have said a million times I don't exaggerate.  Of course their maybe a handful who are not his greatest fans but that happens to even the best of players.

Keep it real.

11 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Playing Devil's advocate; I think CC values Wallace more than most of his players (arguably because of Wallace's return on assists and goals). Don't be surprised if Wallace starts before any of the other midfielders. 

Starting with the premise that Wallace and Mattias rarely play a full game I'm pretty sure we will be lining up as 4 3 3 or 4 2 3 1. In either case we can easily fit Lee into midfield alongside Bannan and Abdi. This means playing without conventional wingers as a starting eleven but we have sufficiently skilful players to adapt to different systems and our full backs are there to provide width. 

4 4 2 is a dated concept and most Premier league teams are playing a fluid 4 2 3 1 formation. Prem is where we are aiming to go so we should start to play this way. The alternative is to get outplayed in the centre of the pitch as we were at Wembley.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Debatable

He trained and was bought up as a midfielder at Man U, converted to a fullback at Oldham. Think it's safe to say that he can play either roll competently. There's a reason he didn't stay at fullback though and went back to his more favoured CM position

full back at man utd

53 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Playing Devil's advocate; I think CC values Wallace more than most of his players (arguably because of Wallace's return on assists and goals). Don't be surprised if Wallace starts before any of the other midfielders. 

Very good point. Wallace won us games (Fulham) and scored/created numerous crucial goals. Seems to have been dropped by most on here. I think he'll play a lot of games.

For me I think it will be bannan moved or left out if we play 4-4-2. He and Abdi are the most similar of our midfielders, and I don't think any chance of lee being dropped - highest yards covered, tackles, interceptions, pass completion of any of our midfielders last season I read. As someone else said Carlos loves him. I'm sure we will play a couple of systems though this season, which will accommodate all. But can't see lee at rb. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Don't think any of us want hooper out, it's just we can't all of our good players in. Remember, it's a 14 man game these days, not just about the starting 11 and tactics