Lee back to RB

3 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

There are any number of formations available and suggested elsewhere on the forum that include Bannan, Lee and Abdi in central positions. Your suggestion to move Lee to RB - which for me would be an unnecessary and regressive waste of talent - only becomes necessary if you think we're definitely going to be play 4-4-2. I absolutely don't think we are going to.

so gimme an example of how you will fit them all in?

42 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

might be a good option with Abdi and Bannan probably ahead as centre midfielders

Abdi is an Attacking Midfielder who from his interview has been assured he will play in that role 

im not sure how CC will fit them all in - Id go one up front but who knows

Westwood 

Hunt

Lees

Hutchinson 

Pudil 

Bannan 

Lee 

Matias 

Abdi 

FF 

Fletcher 

3 minutes ago, butchpt6 said:

Abdi is an Attacking Midfielder who from his interview has been assured he will play in that role 

im not sure how CC will fit them all in - Id go one up front but who knows

Westwood 

Hunt

Lees

Hutchinson 

Pudil 

Bannan 

Lee 

Matias 

Abdi 

FF 

Fletcher 

you gotta play Hooper!!

Guest wilyfox
Just now, sjowl said:

Lee is a better central midfielder than Bannan. We'd need to find a different position for Bannan if one were to be moved. Expect we'll have different attack and defence formations. 

Well that's controversial. Personally, I think they're equally good with contrasting styles. 

1 minute ago, sjowl said:

Lee is a better central midfielder than Bannan. We'd need to find a different position for Bannan if one were to be moved. Expect we'll have different attack and defence formations. 

Bannan is the better player for me. 

17 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

No it wouldn't, Lee has played most of his career at right back

Fact is with Hooper, Fletcher, Wallace, Forestieri, Bannan, Abdi, Lee, Matias a couple of quality players are going to have to spend some time on the bench unless they can be moved elsewhere. Lee already has another position he is fully competent at. No brainer. If Abdi is as good as they say he is, then he will be taking the centre with one other player. If it's Lee you have to have Bannan on the bench which is a waste or on the left which is a waste. 

The other fact is that we will never see Lee play at right back for Sheffield Wednesday again unless it is halfway through a game and he has to play there due to injuries to other players

Lee is more important to the team than Bannan. That's not saying Bannan isn't important either.

Never understood why anyone would think about moving or even dropping Lee. 

Vital cog in our team.

Carlos will sort a midfield out where Lee, Bannan & Abdi can all play in it.

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

Well that's controversial. Personally, I think they're equally good with contrasting styles. 

Just think Lee is better defensively when considering all required attributes of a traditional centre mid. 

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, sjowl said:

Just think Lee is better defensively when considering all required attributes of a traditional centre mid. 

Possibly, but Bannan's vision and range of passing is superior - in my opinion. So it's tit4tat. They're both sublime. Throw Abdi in there with them, and we should really boss games in midfield, I reckon. 

15 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Are they?  Never noticed a large number of fans against him, quite the opposite, one of out most liked and respected members of the squad.

Yep

you just need to pay more attention

its already happened a few times in pre-season, was constant throughout last and will likely be the same through this

Pushing Lee to RB would be a real waste.  He's long moved on from being a right back.  We have the personnel to play an effective 3-5-2, with Pudil as the left side of a back 3. Think it would work at home against those sides that park the bus a bit, otherwise youre asking FF to do a lot of tracking back which is not ideal Away from home I think we'll go for 4-2-3-1. To be honest I think CC will let them play with a certain amount of freedom. We have very, very intelligent footballers who don't need to be told so much where they need to be.

I can't remember where I saw the stats but Abdi is not afraid to do the hard work as well. 

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Interesting to hear Abdi say he prefers the No 10 role.

I didn't think it a few weeks ago but this signing has changed things. I think we're in for a change of formation

Formation is going to be a mad fluid mix of narrow formations of 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 with full backs bombing forward. 

We saw it last season with 4-4-2 transitioning into 4-3-3 at times, we'll see another dimension added with Abdi methinks. Won't be surprised if Sky just show our formation as 4-4-2 in the lineup before the Villa game, and won't be surprised if 15 minutes in it doesn't look anything like a 4-4-2... it'll be a mess

A beautiful, destructive, offensively dominant mess...

12 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

so gimme an example of how you will fit them all in?

Well, take your pic?

4-3-3 (Abdi, Lee and Bannan across the middle with Fletcher, Forrestieri and Matias as part of a forward 3) being one option. 4-2-3-1 (Lee and Bannan the 2, a 3 of Forrestieri, Matias and Abdi with Fletcher up top) being another. I also personally like the idea of Bannan sitting just behind a middle 3 of Lee, Abdi and Forrestieri with Fletcher and Hooper up top.

Just some that have been suggested. Basically anything which doesn't lock you into having only 2 central midfielders. It's not hard to think of alternatives to 4-4-2 with the personnel we have right now.

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Well, take your pic?

4-3-3 (Abdi, Lee and Bannan across the middle with Fletcher, Forrestieri and Matias as part of a forward 3) being one option. 4-2-3-1 (Lee and Bannan the 2, a 3 of Forrestieri, Matias and Abdi with Fletcher up top) being another. I also personally like the idea of Bannan sitting just behind a middle 3 of Lee, Abdi and Forrestieri with Fletcher and Hooper up top.

Just some that have been suggested. Basically anything which doesn't lock you into having only 2 central midfielders. It's not hard to think of alternatives to 4-4-2 with the personnel we have right now.

This exactly, personally expect to see

----------------BACK FIVE------------------

-------Lee--------------------Bannan-------

-------------------Abdi------------------------

---------------------------------Forestieri---

--------Hooper-------------------------------

----------------------Fletcher----------------

Formation won't be symmetrical, and width will come from full backs and occasionally Lee and Bannan drifting wide, although they'd be largely central. Hooper playing across between a wide man in the front 3 and a traditional striker alongside Fletcher. We know he likes to come deep to get the ball so that would suit him. Forestieri drifting behind the pseudo-front two partially wide but also coming in narrow at times. 

We also have Matias to replace any of Hooper and Forestieri if necessary, Wallace to come on if we want the same system as last season with a slightly more 4-4-2 look about it and Joao to replace either Hooper or Fletcher. Definitely feel we need to remove any idea of symmetrical formations out the window though, we're going to see some wonderful attacking shapes next season