The Owls vs Port Vale. Official Matchday Thread.

BJyDHtd.png          k93UEbt.png

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

Unlike most football teams, who come from a place and have it in their names, Port Vale isn’t actually a place. They are based in Burslem, which is a neighbourhood of Stoke on Trent. Stoke on Trent have another team creatively called Stoke and were covered in my opening post of the Matchday Thread when we played at them in the League Cup last season - the formation of a football club based on an illicit trade of teapots for sausages.

According to the October 2005 issue of International New’s World Report on Small Towns, Burslem was rated the 3rd toughest district in all of England. The publishers did not release the names of the top two toughest towns, for fear that the citizens of Burslem would be provoked into changing things. 

IDiM8Qq.jpg

Never before in the history of mankind has such a small place churned out so many superior athletes. Vale can boast of their chairman Norman Smurthwaite’s astonishing career as a Mixed Martial Arts champion. It began when a visitor to the area had the casual audacity to not only call him ‘Smurfy” across the pub table, but also managed to clumsily spill his pint and looked at his bird. Smurthwaite won 52 of his 53 MMA fights. The one fight that he didn’t win was declared abandoned after someone in the baying crowd threw a fire extinguisher at his opposite, knocking him out halfway through the second round.

tzHYub0.jpg

While there are differing views as to why Burslem has become a hotbed of fighting talent, scholars maintain that it is a classic case of the environment shaping the individual. The toughness of each citizen rubs off on the younger ones, and naturally they excel in their respective athletic discipline. Outsiders may contest that their town may be tougher, but chances are those outsiders have never had a taste of Burslem's finest dish: THE KNUCKLE SANDWICH.

Port Vale have a Portuguese manager so he’s probobobarbly a mate of our Carlos, which explains how we come to be playing them today!

IMPORTANT THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Venue: Estádio Hillsborough de Sheffield.

Kick Off: Sunday the 31st of July at 16:30.

Matchday Apparel: New home shirt even if they are 3000 quid a pop 

Matchday Drink: Beer. Anyone here that doesn’t like beer? Last chance to get some practice in and see if you can pass the required weekly 16 Pint Challenge for the coming season.

Matchday Ice Cream: 99 with a Flake and monkeys blood on.

Matchday Song: Charles Wright And The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - I Got Love…

https://youtu.be/Fn-nlj2mMgs

MATCHDAY FACTS

Tickets for the game will be available to purchase at the turnstiles from 3.00pm onwards. Only theThe South Stand will be open for Wednesdayites and the West Upper Tier for Vale fans. Tickets are priced at £10 for Adults and £5 for Concessions (over 65s and under 21s). The Ticket Office and Megastore will be open from 1.00pm on Sunday. 

NDL2Et4.png Head To Head utNWAns.png

• Incredibly, the mighty Vale have beaten the Owls 14 times in all meetings.

• Sheffield Wednesday have won just twelve games against former pop star Robbie Williams favoured team.

• The others were draws where neither Sheffield Wednesday nor Port Vale won.

GkbGIXV.png

KING CARLOS’ WORDS OF WISDOM

“I am very, very happy with these signings because they will improve our squad very much. Of course, everybody knows about Daniel as he had a very successful season with us last season on loan. So to bring him back on a permanent transfer is something I am very happy about. We know him, he knows us, so it is just like welcoming an old friend back to the club.” 

u0OYRvH.jpg

Abdi signing for Sheffield Wednesday is like a glove in the hand. He is a fantastic footballer while at the same time he has the right spirit, he is a team worker. We identified him as a top target and I know he will fit perfectly into our dynamic. He knows the Championship, he has succeeded in this division, and believe me when I say our fans will be singing his name very, very soon.”

MINTYNESS

Tay-Tay and Giant Shadow Llama will be in attendance. We are here to fight!

3ZFNjiN.gif 

Morning lads.  

Nice one Pauli.  

Will be interesting to see if Abdi is involved against Port Vale.  Should be an exciting game nonetheless.  

I'm going for a 5-1 Wednesday win.  Lets do this!

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Guest minsk owl
10 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Morning lads.  

Nice one Pauli.  

Will be interesting to see if Abdi is involved against Port Vale.  Should be an exciting game nonetheless.  

I'm going for a 5-1 Wednesday win.  Lets do this!

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

i'll go with 5 - 1 also,  Abdi, Pudil screamer, and Dave hat trick to wrap it up

1 minute ago, minsk owl said:

i'll go with 5 - 1 also,  Abdi, Pudil screamer, and Dave hat trick to wrap it up

Dave hattrick, you never know especially now we have The Professor pulling all the strings.  

Hope you are doing alright Minsk.  

All the best.  

Guest minsk owl
10 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Dave hattrick, you never know especially now we have The Professor pulling all the strings.  

Hope you are doing alright Minsk.  

All the best.  

Cheers buddy, think we're getting there slowly , ta.   ............  Big day next monday, .... be some fireworks though, if i'm not happy :stuwinky:

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Love the thread Pauli.  4:30 is a shitty kick off time for me though!  Will probably listen though as I want to hear about Abdi's debut!!