Squad Numbers

I suspect it's the same beliefs that guided Chansiri's decision to give Bannan the 41 shirt - saying it would be lucky for him. Bannan did have a great season and that is now unquestionably HIS number. 

We have been so poo poo for so long that no one has an iconic link to a number except, for me at least, Hirst, Palmer and Waddle. Simek and Walker were my 2 fav players during the decline and I can't remember what they wore. It doesn't matter.

I am a traditionalist but I'm coming round to Chansiri's thinking. If a player shines - chances are it will be in a number that previously held no significance - and that player may feel more special in that number and fans may pay to put it on shirts.

You could say Ok so why not give them 1-11 numbers if it doesn't matter. But that only makes some players feel first choice and others not - which could effect motivation.

I can't believe I wrote this. Numbers obviously mean more than I thought!

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I was just about to say who gives a rats ass then I saw them.  Lee at 5?  Nuhiu in the 40's?    Then the dumbest two I have ever seen, Fletcher at 6 and WILDSMITH at 2....number flunking 2 for a goalkeeper! The world has gone mad!!!

Guest Im Right

It'll all end in tears a tell thi! Enjoy the ride, but a tell thi na, it's doomed! Look further than the end of your nose.

Greed will even be your downfall.

All is not what it seems.

12 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Personally I think it's hilarious. I wish they'd gone totally mental and had no one  1-11

cant wait for the chants of England's number 2 towards Wildsmith.

once again most SWFC fans are showing their inability to adapt to change.

Why stop there? We should have not numbered any of the squad but instead just assigned numbers to various randomly chosen timbers:

1 teak

2 brazilian cherry

3 white oak

4 mahogany

5 douglas fir

6 norwegian pine

7 sequoia

Etc. Etc.

That'd really throw the squares.

Edited by 5318008

12 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Personally I think it's hilarious. I wish they'd gone totally mental and had no one  1-11

cant wait for the chants of England's number 2 towards Wildsmith.

once again most SWFC fans are showing their inability to adapt to change.

Adapting to change my arse. What other goalkeeper in the English league has worn number 2?

1 minute ago, DuncOwl said:

How do you know these aren't temporary? I bet you anything you like that we will change the kit to stripes again and change the badge again

Yeah this time next year we'll see that 3 tonne badge coming down and the new one going up. It's like a billionaire's sticker album. lol

As I said. Not fussed with the the numbers. Don't like the badge as I think it looks naff (rather than just upset at the change) and I don't like the kit.

Not certain the stripes will return during Chansiri's reign. We'll see. 

Chansiri was testing Owlstalk with this. 

He's aware Owlstalk can overreact to situations such as signings and ticket prices but now he's seen that it overreacts to squad numbers he realises that there's no point listening to the fans at all. He thinks were all mad. 

1 minute ago, Donny.Owl said:

Yeah this time next year we'll see that 3 tonne badge coming down and the new one going up. It's like a billionaire's sticker album. lol

As I said. Not fussed with the the numbers. Don't like the badge as I think it looks naff (rather than just upset at the change) and I don't like the kit.

Not certain the stripes will return during Chansiri's reign. We'll see. 

If Chansiri brings us the success he wants then having pin stripes and bizarre numbers is a small price to pay for success - the badge is more traditional than the previous one for all you traditionalists.

If Chansiri fails to bring us success then he will go the same way as many other chairmen before him, someone else will take over and will be hailed for bringing back stripes.

7 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I was just about to say who gives a rats ass then I saw them.  Lee at 5?  Nuhiu in the 40's?    Then the dumbest two I have ever seen, Fletcher at 6 and WILDSMITH at 2....number flunking 2 for a goalkeeper! The world has gone mad!!!

Surely Sougou is more baffling. He deserves a squad number as much as McGugan and Lachmann

Guest Deleted member
12 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I think it's funny. Carlos mind games. We do what we want. 

Carlos had nothing to do with it

Apart from that technicality, good theory

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

Carlos had nothing to do with it

Apart from that technicality, good theory

Gi' reyt numbers back!

4 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

No it didn't.

Take a look at football squads from all other 92 clubs in the Football League -

100% will have a goalkeeper as number 1 - why?

95% will have a right-back as number 2 - why?

95% will have a left-back as number 3 - why?

90% of players with a number from 1-11 will have that number based on what position they play on the field - because of TRADITION.

How many other clubs have a goalkeeper as number 2?

Wakey wakey.

Don't wanna be like everyone else that's why we're Wednesday. Leaders not followers, trend setters who are breaking the mold. In years to come kids will be asking "who decided the number 2 goalie should wear number 2 dad?" To which the wise old man replies "Sheffield Wednesday Son".