Nintendo SWITCH (Formerly the Nintendo NX thread)

sheffield_dave

I know there's already an NX thread somewhere, but new info warrants a new thread. And by new info, I mean pretty much an info blowout courtesy of Eurogamer (which I'm inclined to believe is genuine).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Summary;

- September unveiling 

- "Hybrid" system. Handheld system that connects to a TV Dock

- Detatchable controllers, mobile unit includes its own screen

- Tegra mobile chip. Striving for serious mobile power but not chasing PC/Sony/Microsoft. Reportedly somewhere between Wii U and Xbox 1 but in a portable handset

- Uses cartridges

- Not backwards compatible

iyk68.jpg

Edited by sheffield_dave

As a big handheld user I am excited by this news.

If this information is accurate then put me down for it day 1. 

Slightly risky strategy, though. The handheld market has shrunk enormously over the past few years. 

Have to say that I still have no faith in Nintendo being able to develop an operating system and online infrastructure that meets 2016 standards, or anything close. 

Hope they prove me wrong on that front.

Edited by Wath-owl

Big shame about the backwards compatability if that's true, I was kind of relying on the NX to catch up on the Wii U backlog I never played. 

Still... If it's meant to be more powerful than the Wii U then those games coming to virtual console should be pretty much nailed on once the Wii U is officially dead. 

As for Day 1, for me it depends what the launch catalogue is like. 

Any two or three of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Pikmin, Monster Hunter, Bayonetta, and Pokemon... and I'm in. 

Nintendo consolidating their handheld and console Dev teams will be awesome. A fully stocked virtual console and classic controller at launch as well please.

Day 1 without a doubt 

Gutted its a gimmicky hand held type thing - why can't they just stick to what they were good at, N64/Gamecube era. Was looking forward to this specifically for Breath of the Wind, just don't see how it will be very successful now that the only thing people use for mobile gaming, is a mobile...

Will probably still look to get it early on if the price is right

I'm completely fine with a Handheld Console hybrid.

I'm nowhere near an active gamer anymore as I used to be as I don't have the time.
So I can't justify having a PC and a console and a handheld anymore.

They just wouldn't get enough play time and be a waste of cash.

So a PC/Nintendo hybrid works perfectly for me.
Get most of the big budget games anyway on my PC.
And the handheld/console novelty from Nintendo so I can play on the big screen or hand held depending on what circumstances dictate.

Day 1

19 minutes ago, Gerinako said:

I'm completely fine with a Handheld Console hybrid.

I'm nowhere near an active gamer anymore as I used to be as I don't have the time.
So I can't justify having a PC and a console and a handheld anymore.

They just wouldn't get enough play time and be a waste of cash.

So a PC/Nintendo hybrid works perfectly for me.
Get most of the big budget games anyway on my PC.
And the handheld/console novelty from Nintendo so I can play on the big screen or hand held depending on what circumstances dictate.

Day 1

Im falling slowly into this category.

Play Anywhere is slowly killing my desire to continue owning an xbox, so the NX is looking a viable alternative

3 hours ago, the_vinyl_frontier said:

Gutted its a gimmicky hand held type thing - why can't they just stick to what they were good at, N64/Gamecube era. Was looking forward to this specifically for Breath of the Wind, just don't see how it will be very successful now that the only thing people use for mobile gaming, is a mobile...

Will probably still look to get it early on if the price is right

But it's not just a mobile device, that's the point. It's both.

29 minutes ago, Chris_B_SWFC said:

All comes down to the games though, which ultimately is what has made the Wii U a failure. They're just aren't enough good ones.

Hopefully with the NX they can rectify that. 

It should do. If you combine the 3DS and Wii U libraries, it's pretty impressive. Trying to maintain separate and isolated libraries has been a needlessly frustrating challenge for Nintendo. 

Seen loads of people going on about a 'handheld' as though the assumption is that it is a bulky DS-type thing. From what I have read, and admittedly it is reading between the lines, I don't see it as that, I see it as an iPad-style tablet.

A Nintendo tablet, with the same chipset as the most powerful (and successful) Android tablets, that connects to a TV and has connectable/detachable controllers.

Sounds bloody awesome to me.

28 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Would agree personally. The illustration on Eurogamer suggests similar.

Detatchable controllers does sound bulky and naff though so.. who knows. Be interesting to see how that works from a design point of view.

My initial thought was that you will hold one in each hand, as you did with the Wii remote and nunchuk.

I wouldn't be against a design like that.

Totally. I mean if it plugs into a stationary dock that plays everything full screen on your TV, with support for local multiplayer and controllers, at what point isn't that a console?

Just has the added bonus of being able to take it away from that stationary position and take it elsewhere. Which I find pretty awesome, in theory. 

For me handheld has always been Nintendo's strongest position. It's where they've historically been the most successful (aside from the Wii) and where I think their software and creativity tends to shine the most. A handheld which is finally powerful enough to deliver full visuals, with a single Nintendo library, which can hook up to a TV and extra controllers for those Smash and Mario Kart sessions, is incredibly appealing to me.