openbox vs Kodi

modboy

I started off with an Openbox v8s and quickly upgraded it to the Zgemma Star S.

The Openbox is ok as an entry level box but very limited with changing the look/feel of it and didn't run as stable as I'd like.

Zgemma is pretty awesome - I picked up a line provider for £35 for the year and haven't had a single glitch since starting to use 3 months back.

Basically, you'll get a full Sk.y subscription, Movies, Entertainment, Sky Sports (inc News & F1) plus BT Sports and Eirsports which was Setanta - Eirsports air PL 3pm kickoffs and you are covered for everything else with the Sky channels.

You can get a plugin for the Zgemma/Openbox called Yify Movies which will give you films on demand - similar to Exodus on Kodi.

I wouldn't go back to using Kodi now in all honesty, it doesn't run as well as it should on any of the Android devices other than a phone.

If you go down the route of Zgemma, order it through the Techkings website as you'll get a discount - it's also a great source to read up on to make sure you're making the best buy. The Zgemma is more complicated to get to grips with and get things exactly how you want them but once you've done it you wouldn't notice the difference between it and a Sky box for how it looks.

19 hours ago, WatfordOwl said:

The Openbox is ok as an entry level box but very limited with changing the look/feel of it and didn't run as stable as I'd like.

Zgemma is pretty awesome - I picked up a line provider for £35 for the year and haven't had a single glitch since starting to use 3 months back.

Basically, you'll get a full Sk.y subscription, Movies, Entertainment, Sky Sports (inc News & F1) plus BT Sports and Eirsports which was Setanta - Eirsports air PL 3pm kickoffs and you are covered for everything else with the Sky channels.

You can get a plugin for the Zgemma/Openbox called Yify Movies which will give you films on demand - similar to Exodus on Kodi.

I wouldn't go back to using Kodi now in all honesty, it doesn't run as well as it should on any of the Android devices other than a phone.

If you go down the route of Zgemma, order it through the Techkings website as you'll get a discount - it's also a great source to read up on to make sure you're making the best buy. The Zgemma is more complicated to get to grips with and get things exactly how you want them but once you've done it you wouldn't notice the difference between it and a Sky box for how it looks.

thanks, sent you a message

On 27/07/2016 at 21:30, bigrbuk said:

Not tried it yet, but... 

Update: Tried it now, got the Vpn installed but completely unable to click on "next" button to configure lol. Tried to find a free mouse app to do it from my phone to no avail. Managed to get a pointer but still unable to click.

Ive got a Zgemma H2S twin tuner satellite  box from the official Zgemma seller on Techkings,spend some time on there reading and look for the Wooshbuild on there and you can figure it all out. Full sly package (not HD sly channels tho but HD others BBC ITV etc) £30 for 12 months.

Very similar EPG/menu and records and watch a different channel etc.

Ive sacked Sly off and am giving this a go for a bit.

4 minutes ago, darra said:

Apparently ES file explorer support has been dropped for Amazon fire stick making it more difficult to install the likes of kodi. 

It's not on by default, but you can find it easily enough. Es and kodi both on mine

Seen an article just now saying that ES is back. Was left out as an oversight.

Also re zygemma boxes I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here about them a while ago.

On 7/28/2016 at 19:22, WatfordOwl said:

Z-gemma here thanks to the advice from Watford. Only SD, but never failed me yet.

Also use Kodi Exodus for latest films, which then supplement my amazon and netflix subscriptions. 

Mobdro on phone and android tablet for when I am working away

Sorted!

Another vote for the Zgemma from me

been using it for about 3 months now and it's been fine

all the sports channels are SD but that's no big deal. Another bonus is that all the PPV boxing is free as well

compliment this with a Firestick where all the films and box sets are available on Kodi via Exodus. No need for Netflix or Amazon prime really.

Folk may know how to do this already but just putting it out there in case.

Yep the Es file is back up on Amazon now. However, if you have an android phone, down load  "apps to fire" then d-load kodi onto your phone. It allows you to add Kodi to a firestick via mobile phone in secconds.  Very simple process without the need for the Es file. (clearly with the use of a WIFI network)