Category A - Aston Villa

We've had the price structure threads already but I'm a bit unsure about the categorisation for the first game of the season.

For me category A fixtures should be premium games and exciting games. They should be against local rivals like Leeds and United (I appreciate the Blades are pish and it will be years til we play them again) or against big clubs like Arsenal like we had last season in the cup. 

I know it is the first game of the season but I think the club have called this one wrong. 

What are your thoughts Owlstalk?  

Does anyone agree with the Category A banding?

Guest The Claw

If villa had been visiting as a prem team yes but there not, there in the same soup as us so it should be a b.

3 minutes ago, The Claw said:

If villa had been visiting as a prem team yes but there not, there in the same soup as us so it should be a b.

If you're going to make it a B may as well make it an A to be honest. If you're going to shaft the fans why not tickle the prostate while you're at it. 

I dont agree with banding at all

Its 95 ish minutes of Championship Football just the same as Burton will be and the facts are that the stadium will in all probability still have approx 10k empty seats in the home end which kills the more attractive match theory stone dead

There should be a price per game and it should be the same for every game

Surely you can see that some of the biggest games of the season will be against teams relegated from the Premier League? And with such well established Premier League teams like Aston Villa and Newcastle, I'd say that these are the mostly likely to be accurately portrayed as top category games.

It's an experiment to see how many will pay Cat A prices with good weather , decent opposition and it being on TV.

it also incentivises buying a membership or season ticket which has been the plan for the club since January.

Better to have money up front etc.

Personally I don't agree with such a high price but I can see a rationale behind it 

3 minutes ago, pompeyowl said:

Surely you can see that some of the biggest games of the season will be against teams relegated from the Premier League? And with such well established Premier League teams like Aston Villa and Newcastle, I'd say that these are the mostly likely to be accurately portrayed as top category games.

Only if you accept the banding theory

We have been conditioned as football fans over years that the more "attractive" games should carry a premium yet year on year i sit in a half filled stadium for these "attractive" matches

Supply and demand i will accept but banding is not supply and demand because if it was every match at Hillsborough would be discounted because supply way outstrips demand