Hillsborough Kop early 1900's

14 hours ago, daztheowl said:

How many of you remember the atmosphere we used to have on there in 1970s , pre roof and seating

Great atmosphere...dodging half house bricks and other miscellaneous missiles. Great when we stuffed Hull 4-2 though.

6 hours ago, Doctor John said:

I used to stand at the front of the Kop triangle throughout the 1960s - rather than atmosphere, what I remember is the choice language and the rattles and rosettes.

And I used to stand on the shelf in front of it early 60's trying not to get too excited and fall off when we scored

On 5 July 2016 at 14:01, Soul Power said:

It was shocking, totally devoid of any atmosphere. It was crying out for a roof. When they put the seats in we almost went back to square 1.

This, what with no roof, poor crowds and (usually) the wind and rain, what little noise we made ended up on Penistone Road!

On 5 July 2016 at 18:30, ohgoditsjames said:

One for the history books. I came across this photo of the Kop during the early 1900's, not sure what year exactly but I would assume during the 20's? Look at that picket fence and all of those hats!

image.jpg

You're looking well for your age, I love it when you silver surfers post stuff that you found years ago. How old were you when you found it in the early 1900's?

13 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

This, what with no roof, poor crowds and (usually) the wind and rain, what little noise we made ended up on Penistone Road!

It depends which era, in  the catastrophe which was the mid 70's it was terrible. But the early 80's up to when it was roofed in 86 ( I think ) there was some tremendous times. Not dissimilar to the present , you need a good number  of people to create an atmosphere. In our particular stadium I think good number = greater than 25k. 

Bottom line it all starts on the pitch, good performances = good crowds = good atmposphere

On Tuesday, July 05, 2016 at 20:09, mrgund said:

I love pics like this. Why did everyone wear caps again?

Working class men in those days always wore them, manners I think. But you can tell they're all very much working class men so I don't know how people can think "Wednesday are posh" just a stereotype that's never been proven I guess.

On 05/07/2016 at 18:49, mogbad said:

A bit cruel impaling that children on the fence post so you don't have to hold on to him.

Still hurts today, but you get used to it, it all started after I told that bloke in front to take his hat off cos I couldn't see. 

Guest The Claw
On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 00:31, Wild Will Smith said:

You're looking well for your age, I love it when you silver surfers post stuff that you found years ago. How old were you when you found it in the early 1900's?

it on the wall, upstairs back room riverside café

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 18:34, The Claw said:

its on the wall in riverside café, guy in the middle has a blue n white scarf....can you spot the women?

Is that a woman ....bottom right area about 4 rows from front and 3/4 in from the right hand side ??

On 05/07/2016 at 18:30, ohgoditsjames said:

One for the history books. I came across this photo of the Kop during the early 1900's, not sure what year exactly but I would assume during the 20's? Look at that picket fence and all of those hats!

image.jpg

Not much space to escape the Kop Trumpers back then WTF: