Hillsborough Kop early 1900's

25 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

It was considered rude not to wear a hat when outside......I think, could be wrong and often are.

sounds about right, like woman of a certain status had to wear gloves as bare hands were seen as being provocative and sensual. Flat caps were the baseball caps of the day

40 minutes ago, Soul Power said:

It was shocking, totally devoid of any atmosphere. It was crying out for a roof. When they put the seats in we almost went back to square 1.

yeah , even the regulars on west stand lower tier claimed they had a better atmosphere

13 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

yeah , even the regulars on west stand lower tier claimed they had a better atmosphere

Not far off the mark. We eventually gave it up as a bad job and all got season tickets in the North stand. When people cottoned on we could make more noise in the North a lot followed however the difference in price was an issue for many.

I'm the bloke in the top hat and monocle about half way back. Usually went on the South but they couldn't change a five pound note. Had to go on the Kop with the rabble and paid with my thruppny bit that I was saving for the ride home in a Hansom cab.

5 hours ago, mrgund said:

I love pics like this. Why did everyone wear caps again?

Cos we dint av a roof an tha needed summat t keep thee ead dry when it weeweed dahn. If tha looks careful like, abaht halfway dahn tha can see a babby ozzie owl an futher dahn tha's got two posh gits in trilbys. Them two were scouting us latest wonder kid on t'wing, Herbert Heppintwistle who had to play baht boots cos they mithered his corns summat rotten.

15 hours ago, The Claw said:

its on the wall in riverside café, guy in the middle has a blue n white scarf....can you spot the women?

No place for a woman in those days.

Too many shouts of "Show your ankles for the lads"