Why Sheffield Wednesday shouldn't sign Ross McCormack [article]

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, ramone said:

We have one of them already... He's called Fernando. It's been proven time and time again that Hooper isn't at his best when playing with Fernando. Hooper suits being the little man in a 'big man/little man' partnership. 

Mccormack doesn't solve that issue, he makes it worse. 

And we've been over-reliant on Fernando. Hooper isn't at his best when we don't create for him. He doesn't necessarily need a big man, he needs service. He's a finisher. 

5 minutes ago, @cl_ftbl said:

That's certainly a valid point, but it's a mammoth task ranking teams/players on what comprises a better side. 

I've always thought the league table did that.

Guest Lom Tees

We can sign McCormack but I don't think he's the perfect partner for hooper. But then again, who else can we buy that will guarantee us 20+ goals a season aswell as be the perfect match for hooper? I don't know anyone realistic who is that player unfortunately!

Guest Lom Tees

So your suggesting we play McCormack out wide as a winger? Or we should have 3 strikers and no wingers?

Can anyone saying Hooper needs to play in a "big man/little man" combo find a goal he's scored for us which proves this theory? From what I remember his goals have come from quality balls into the box which he's got on the end of, being in the right place at the right time or quality finishes from in and around the area. (Brentford and Birmingham) he's a finisher who just needs quality coming into the box, which McCormack would deliver, that plus a load of his own goals and the best front 3 in the league....but yea we shouldn't bother

Guest Lom Tees
4 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

I'm no CC admittedly but you know how 4-3-3 works I presume? lol

I don't think we should be playing McCormack as a winger in a 4-3-3 or play 3 strikers, stick to 4-4-2 in this division with McCormack upfront with hooper, then swap for 4-3-3 if we get to the prem with 2 wingers and a striker, not 3 strikers!

Edited by Lom Tees

2 minutes ago, Lom Tees said:

I don't think we should be playing McCormack as a winger in a 4-3-3 or play 3 strikers, stick to 4-4-2 in this division with McCormack upfront with hooper, then swap for 4-3-3 if we get to the prem with 2 wingers and a striker, not 3 strikers!

Only my opinion mate , contact Carlos he da man.

50 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Ah, but what you're overlooking is that when Hooper and Forestieri play upfront together, they don't have Forestieri cutting in from the left flank...

3 minutes ago, Lom Tees said:

I agree.

Forestieri - Hooper - NEW - Wallace as a 442 worked brilliantly last year, even with Joao and Nuhiu.

So, imagine how superb it would be with a top quality "NEW" such as McCormack, Fletcher, Kodjia etc

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

As I 've said before, DC spending £10 million on a player is like has the same economic cost as us buying a MARS bar, plus he's stated Premiership buy end of this season and I don't think he's a  guy who accepts failure.

While your statistical comparison is , as always, excellent the fact is the 3 major clubs going for promotion - us Villa and Newcastle - want McCormack so suggests he's nearest thing to ensure this.

Also, as your stats confirm, he has skills GH doesn't plus he 'd provide intense competition to all midfieldrs and attackers, someting CC is a big fan of. Further, the rotation policy has to ba factored in.

Finally, the new no loan rule makes it vital we get a big, quality squad and RC would be perfect for this (and also explains why we want players like Cotterrill, et al).

On others, Connor Wickam for me, plus Danilo from Porto for midfield enforcer role.

This obsession with "finding the right partner" for Hooper is getting tiresome. Our team doesn't (and certainly shouldn't) revolve around Gary Hooper. 

I can virtually guarantee Carlos' striker recruitment plans won't be based on finding the right partner for Gary Hooper. 

We've performed well and had great results with various attacking combinations. Hooper/FF or Nuhiu or Joao, FF/Nuhiu or Joao.

Just sign players on the same level as our main man (FF), and watch us fly. 

McCormack certainly falls into that category, but such a huge outlay for a 30 year old seems ridiculous to me.

14 minutes ago, Tom22709 said:

Can anyone saying Hooper needs to play in a "big man/little man" combo find a goal he's scored for us which proves this theory? From what I remember his goals have come from quality balls into the box which he's got on the end of, being in the right place at the right time or quality finishes from in and around the area. (Brentford and Birmingham) he's a finisher who just needs quality coming into the box, which McCormack would deliver, that plus a load of his own goals and the best front 3 in the league....but yea we shouldn't bother

Hooper with big man/little man combo scored 9 goals in 11

Hooper without big man/little man combo scored 4 goals in 14

Forestieri with big man/little man combo scored 15 in 26

Forestieri without big man/little man combo scored 0 in 14

Team with big man/little man combo scored 59 in 32

Team without big man/little man combo scored 7 in 14 (2 v Leeds, 2 v Forest, 1 v Derby, 1 v Reading, 1 v Brighton)

Interesting that 59 of our 66 goals came with either Joao or Nuhiu on the field. That surely suggests this "type" of player suits our personnel and approach. Therefore, if we got a higher quality player of this "type", I would imagine great things next season.

Guest Lom Tees
13 minutes ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

On others, Connor Wickam for me, plus Danilo from Porto for midfield enforcer role.

Because Danilo is definatley realistic isn't he!lol

19 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Hooper with big man/little man combo scored 9 goals in 11

Hooper without big man/little man combo scored 4 goals in 14

Forestieri with big man/little man combo scored 15 in 26

Forestieri without big man/little man combo scored 0 in 14

Team with big man/little man combo scored 59 in 32

Team without big man/little man combo scored 7 in 14 (2 v Leeds, 2 v Forest, 1 v Derby, 1 v Reading, 1 v Brighton)

Interesting that 59 of our 66 goals came with either Joao or Nuhiu on the field. That surely suggests this "type" of player suits our personnel and approach. Therefore, if we got a higher quality player of this "type", I would imagine great things next season.

Sigh...more stats, ok most of Hoopers career goals have come at Celtic and Scunny, at Celtic he played in a 3 and at Scunny he played with Billy Sharp

3 minutes ago, Tom22709 said:

Sigh...more stats, ok most of Hoopers career goals have come at Celtic and Scunny, at Celtic he played in a 3 and at Scunny he played with Billy Sharp

Comparisons based on simple goal tallys are pointless anyway. 

Different types of players with different career paths. McCormack's rarely played as an out and out striker, Hooper's never done anything else.