Waddle Didn't Want To Leave Marseille

Guest Hirstpower

He's not run the risk of upsetting any supporters who have the common sense to take it for what it is.

its obviously upset you enough to start the thread.

3 minutes ago, Hirstpower said:

He's not run the risk of upsetting any supporters who have the common sense to take it for what it is.

its obviously upset you enough to start the thread.

OK.

Its fine. Don't read the replies explaining my position on the matter. It makes no difference to me what you or anyone else think or want to take from it anyway, it's no skin off my nose.

Now tell us all about how much of a hooligan you were in the good old days and what you would begetting up to if your young son was in the cauldron of Marseille right now, rather than your not so much hooligan son. Because after all, that was the culture of your youth.

By the way, have you seen the reports of the 50 odd year old man who was slashed across the face today? Or the gent who had to be resuscitated? Or the gent in a coma after being hit by a metal bar around the head? Or the storming of the station? Or the burning down of an innocent French mans bar and loss of his livelihood? It's all just culture, it's ok.

8 minutes ago, Wild(smith)Thing said:

I just explained at great length that you never used the word "pride" when telling us all about how you were a hooligan in your day.

And I've not once ever put Waddle down in this thread. As I explained.

Lets try again. As I said, when Waddle said what he did he ran the risk of upsetting a minority of supporters of Marseille or us, potentially. He could have qualified his statement by going on to say that though he never wanted to leave them it all worked out for him as he enjoyed his time with us later and that he has an affection for both clubs, or something like that, rather than simply saying he never wanted to leave them. That was one part of the point I made, no part of that puts him down but merely offers some sympathy to being put in that situation.

Secondly I went on to make the point that in modern football this dilemma is less common as the players love every club and kiss the badge and how fickle this was, unlike the predicament a player like Waddle found himself in.

I asked for discussion at first on the OP then explained my position later in posts as I've outlined above. This was done to gague opinion on the matter rather than put words into people's mouth on the subject, because I find it fascinating.

Now that I've cleared that up, again, hopefully, you can once again rest assured that you never once used the word "pride" in your posts about how much of a hooligan you were and I merely commented on this thread about your posts in the other thread about the subject because you mentioned that Marseille fans rioted and smashed the office up the day he left.

We done now?

Dont think there was anything wrong with what he said. He probably had some reservations about moving back to england as his career had gone so well in france. Think it was a european tie with marseille v newcastle and waddle went back to marseille as part of the tv commentary team. Can remeber him saying he was greeted at the airport by marseille fans chanting his name and giving him a heros welcome. He also got voted marseilles 2nd best player of the century behind papin which if anyone remebers him he was an amazing player. Also thierry henry said waddle was his favourite player of all time thats got to count for something

2 minutes ago, sparehead3 said:

don't waste your breath mate, hooligans are like zombies, their brain dead.

Considering what's been going on over there, I'd assume that there are perhaps posters on here who have loved ones over there that they are worried about being caught up in this.

I can't believe someone, knowing the situation, has posted on a public forum about how they used to be a hooligan and reasoned, somehow, that it was ok as it was the culture then.

It wasn't ok then, and it isn't now. Would you be happy to read on a public forum in a decade or two about someone admitting they were a hooligan (right now) and were in Marseille and reasoning it was ok, if you were related to one of the poor souls who are currently in intensive care?

Some class A morons on this forum.

Guest Hirstpower

Yes really sad in this day and age. Maybe the fathers of these lads should have brought them up better hey ?

1 minute ago, Hirstpower said:

Yes really sad in this day and age. Maybe the fathers of these lads should have brought them up better hey ?

It was really sad in your day and age too. That's my point.

There was no call for you to even post about how you were a hooligan in your day, tonight, given the situation over there.

Some common sense goes a long way.

15 hours ago, Wild(smith)Thing said:

As per title.

He was just interview by Gabby Logan on BBC1 and said he never wanted to leave Marseille. He obviously left them to join us.

Discuss.

I couldn't care less whether waddle was jumping for joy to leave them or Wednesday had to drag him here kicking and screaming. We are talking about a player who left us 20 years ago. 

fascinates me what goes through people's mind to start such a pointless and boring thread 

19 hours ago, Wild(smith)Thing said:

Mans that's why people are commenting.

Mystery.

do you know the difference between people laughing with you and people laughing at you ? . Work that one out then you'll know why people are commenting.

13 minutes ago, sage owl said:

do you know the difference between people laughing with you and people laughing at you ? . Work that one out then you'll know why people are commenting.

Do you know the difference between a banana and a rocket ship?

Wibble.