Waddle Didn't Want To Leave Marseille

This new OT is sheeite but nothing compared to the close season carp we get on here....

Waddle is one of our true legends, why do people like to pull them down ?

Sheffield ain't no super city, maybe his kids went to school here and he didn't want to uproot them, maybe he's also got pad's around the world but he still goes to our games and gets p1$$ed with our fans yet some still want to have a pop at him...

unbelievable Jeff, feckin unbelievable...

roll on the season opener...

2 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

This new OT is sheeite but nothing compared to the close season carp we get on here....

Waddle is one of our true legends, why do people like to pull them down ?

Sheffield ain't no super city, maybe his kids went to school here and he didn't want to uproot them, maybe he's also got pad's around the world but he still goes to our games and gets p1$$ed with our fans yet some still want to have a pop at him...

unbelievable Jeff, feckin unbelievable...

roll on the season opener...

People are pulling him down because he said in a round about way that he didn't want to come here. To make it worse he said it on prime time national television. 

The only people "having a pop at him" are the trolls.

The point I was making was that it must be hard for him and other footballers with such close affinity with more than one club as a "legend" to say the right thing. And that another bunch of footballers tell the same tale to every set of fans.

That was all.

As an aside he said "I didn't want to leave" Marseille and could easily have qualified that with "but I went on to have fantastic years at Sheffield Wednesday" and pointed out he is fond of both clubs rather than bluntly just say he didn't want to leave them. Not a criticism of the man, just pointing out how hard it is to walk that fine line.

8 minutes ago, David1867 said:

People are pulling him down because he said in a round about way that he didn't want to come here. To make it worse he said it on prime time national television. 

No.

The only person doing that is you. That's not what was implied by what he said at all.

He was earning a cracking living at a club at the top of the French division 1, living and working in the sun, he didn't ask to leave them they wanted him out, that was to our benefit, how can him saying he didn't want to leave Marseille be twisted into him not wanting to come to us ?

He is still the best player I have ever seen in a Wednesday shirt in 6 decades of watching us, he didn't come and scrounge a wage he gave it for us, if you don't believe that just look at his reaction after his semi goal against the pigs..

and he still comes to our games now, does anybody really think Reda will in 20 odd years ?

Guest Hirstpower

I heard somewhere that the fans smashed up the chairmans office, literally rioting on waddles exit.

All he said is he didn't want to leave.

its not like he said I didn't want to leave to go to that sh.t whole w.nk club sheffield Wednesday. He certainly played the best football of his life out there. 

Edited by Hirstpower

5 minutes ago, Hirstpower said:

I heard somewhere that the fans smashed up the chairmans office, literally rioting on waddles exit.

Pwoppa nawty.

Bet you loved that.

3 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Wum alert...

Not at all.

Ive been reading the "Worksop" thread all about his pride at being part of the naughty hooligan scene in the 80's.

Is this or is this not factually correct? Hardly being a WUM.

Guest Wonder Spaniel

He was playing arguably the best football of his career, in a beautiful sun soaked city, in front of fans who worshipped him, at that moment in time - why would he want to leave? This doesn't mean that he didn't then go on to have an equally enjoyable time playing for us (minus the sun!)

Guest Hirstpower

So when did I say pride. Need to get your facts straight, as you seem to be miss quoting people like you have with the thread. Only  idiots  try and put our legend down.

Edited by Hirstpower

7 minutes ago, Hirstpower said:

So when did I say pride. Need to get your facts straight, as you seem to be miss quoting people like you have with the thread. Only  idiots  try and put our legend down.

I actually directly quoted what he said and have explained countless times how (as you've just proven) it must be hard to say the right thing depending on how fans of different clubs react to things said, etc. That was my entire point, not once have I "got my facts wrong" or "misquoted" anything. I didn't put him down either, not once.

As for the other point, you're right, you never once used the word "pride" when espousing how you were much the more terrifying hooligan than you son is now, "back in the day".

Here are some choice quotes and a link to the now closed thread all about it for proof I have not misquoted. You were a hooligan, you have justified why as that was the culture then it was ok and you have openly said so. You can't accuse me of misquoting something you openly stated.

"My son isn't a hooligan like I was back in the day."

"if I was asked would I change what I got up to in them days, then the answer would be......... Certainly not, as it was just the culture in the 80s rightly or wrongly."

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/242235-worksop-owls/&page=3

Guest Hirstpower

So I accept your apology then for miss quoting. I recon 100 from here were a little naughty in their time and this can be proven from the late Trev collins thread. Yes it was culture in the 80s for more y than the youth of today. I also said i have brought my boys not to be like I was, but no I wouldn't change my youth, but wouldn't do those things now.

ok

Edited by Hirstpower

Dont know what anyones problem is. Whilst at marseille he won the league title ( 3 times i think ) was playing european football ( what is now the champions league ) and was revered as a god by their fans. I wouldnt blame him for having doubts about joining us ( although we were one of the top teams in england at the time ) . Anyway he came to us and obviously thoroughly enjoyed his time here and looks at our club with a huge amount of affection. Only downside to his time with us is that he never played for england again ( maybe got 1 cap but not sure ) when he should have been one of the first names on the teamsheet. Anyway he went on to become a club legend and clearly enjoys living in the area as he still lives here now. Alongside di canio, probably the most technically gifted player i have seen at hillsborough and will probably never see a player like him again. 

I just explained at great length that you never used the word "pride" when telling us all about how you were a hooligan in your day.

And I've not once ever put Waddle down in this thread. As I explained.

Lets try again. As I said, when Waddle said what he did he ran the risk of upsetting a minority of supporters of Marseille or us, potentially. He could have qualified his statement by going on to say that though he never wanted to leave them it all worked out for him as he enjoyed his time with us later and that he has an affection for both clubs, or something like that, rather than simply saying he never wanted to leave them. That was one part of the point I made, no part of that puts him down but merely offers some sympathy to being put in that situation.

Secondly I went on to make the point that in modern football this dilemma is less common as the players love every club and kiss the badge and how fickle this was, unlike the predicament a player like Waddle found himself in.

I asked for discussion at first on the OP then explained my position later in posts as I've outlined above. This was done to gague opinion on the matter rather than put words into people's mouth on the subject, because I find it fascinating.

Now that I've cleared that up, again, hopefully, you can once again rest assured that you never once used the word "pride" in your posts about how much of a hooligan you were and I merely commented on this thread about your posts in the other thread about the subject because you mentioned that Marseille fans rioted and smashed the office up the day he left.

We done now?