A year ago today...

5 hours ago, ramone said:

Stuart did a great job for our football. He kept us in the division when we were all but dead a buried.

He then took us to that promise land of 'mid table mediocrity' everyone was clearly clambering for at the time.

Miffed - give the bloke some credit. He did a brilliant job and was extremely unlucky not to get the chance to spend a bit of cash. 

He did get a bit of cash. He blew the whole transfer fund on Stevie May ffs. 

I thought he did a decent job but ultimately was let down by a diabolical pair of strikers. 

Nuhiu in all fairness has improved but some of the chances that him and May missed were unforgivable, this cost him his job in the end. 

I remember a game (can't remember who against) it could have been Cardiff at home, we were 1-0 up, the ball came in from the right, Stevie May was un marked and 7/8 yards out and all he had to do was place the ball anywhere in the net to make it 2-0. He missed the ball completely. 5 minutes later it was 1-1. We threw points away by missing sitters and easy chances. Even if a few more chances were put away we could have finished inside the top 10. 

I was was a bit annoyed with he got sacked, mostly because there was an element of the unknown with mr chansiri but wouldn't change a thing from what we have now! 

I wasn't annoyed at all, never bought in to idea of Stuart some money and he will show us what he can do idea, surprised he didn't go earlier to be honest.

he was a manager for a certain time, was never going to move us forward the way we progressed last year.

Can't think why anybody would have anything against Gray. He steadied the ship and wasn't given the chance to use significant money to buy players. I know Mr C had his reasons for giving him the big E, but we just will never know what would have happened if he had  been left in charge. He didn't do much wrong in his time in charge as far as I can see. One of the few Wednesday managers in the last 50 years not to have left under a cloud.

13 hours ago, David1867 said:

He did get a bit of cash. He blew the whole transfer fund on Stevie May ffs. 

I thought he did a decent job but ultimately was let down by a diabolical pair of strikers. 

Nuhiu in all fairness has improved but some of the chances that him and May missed were unforgivable, this cost him his job in the end. 

I remember a game (can't remember who against) it could have been Cardiff at home, we were 1-0 up, the ball came in from the right, Stevie May was un marked and 7/8 yards out and all he had to do was place the ball anywhere in the net to make it 2-0. He missed the ball completely. 5 minutes later it was 1-1. We threw points away by missing sitters and easy chances. Even if a few more chances were put away we could have finished inside the top 10. 

I was was a bit annoyed with he got sacked, mostly because there was an element of the unknown with mr chansiri but wouldn't change a thing from what we have now! 

I think if we cast our minds back he bought Stevie May with money we got for Antonio. And while we're casting minds back, Stevie Mays signing was greeted with excitement. It was a gamble, as most signing from north of the border are. And it was 800k... People on here would be pig sick if all we spent this summer was 800k.

Lets not be so quick to re-write history.

34 minutes ago, ramone said:

I think if we cast our minds back he bought Stevie May with money we got for Antonio. And while we're casting minds back, Stevie Mays signing was greeted with excitement. It was a gamble, as most signing from north of the border are. And it was 800k... People on here would be pig sick if all we spent this summer was 800k.

Lets not be so quick to re-write history.

Not re writing history mate, for the whole Stuart gray did a good job for us. I'm stating the facts. I was excited about Stevie May until I actually saw him play and it was quite obvious he wasn't anywhere near good enough for us. 

While we are casting minds back Stevie May was arguably one of the worst strikers to play for our club in the last 15 years, given the transfer fee, game time and opportunities missed. Nuhiu too was equally as bad. 

Poor strikers cost Stuart gray his job. End of story. 

Stuart grey did a top job for us with a limited budget. Bringing in the likes of Tom lees and co. Would have been interesting to see what he would have been like with the budget we now have available. However Carlos has surpassed any hope we had last season so it was a top decision by chansiri

23 hours ago, Miffed said:

You could argue that the players (and possibly the system) were there but Jones (for whatever reason seemingly ..) lost his passion / interest.

It could have been Grays "honeymoon period" that kept us up the season before. Many new managers seem to have one. And that season we won only 1 of the last 10 games, so it was a good job we'd been on such a good run before this.

2013/14 we put 6 past Leeds, 4 past Birmingham, 5 past Reading, 3 past QPR.

The season after we went all defensive and hardly won at home. We even struggled against Blackpool - one of the most boring games I can remember. And it wasnt like we finished just outside the play-offs or anything. We were a boring mid table side.

I strongly believe that when Chansiri came in, he gave Gray some cash in the transfer window to a) try and push for the playoffs b) see what Gray was like with a bit of cash. It was our busiest transfer window in years, the fans were buzzing and Gray blew it.

It said everything that season when the GOALKEEPER was player of the year. Something that I never hope to see again.

Jones lost interest when he got found out fiddling with the netball player and his wife moved into his sh@gpad up fulwood, must've been a real bodyblow looking at his wife lol