Jose Semedo offered new contract

8 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

If some sort of coaching role then fair enough,  I am sure he will have the relevant UEFA qualifications.

If purely as a player then sorry this is a bad move for me. Nowhere near good enough in the games last season.

Yes I know people will say he is 'Good in the dressing room' and maybe this would help him get a contract if it was a borderline decision but is well short of what we need on the pitch next season even as a squad player. 

I have to agree. He's clearly not good enough for our first team if we are to progress. If it's for coaching that's fine. If playing then it's a bizarre decision

49 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

And with no emergency loan it makes sense to have 3rd and even 4th choice players. 

You never know when injuries and suspensions will take their toll. 

Smart move. 

Excellent point 

The  surprise with Jose is that he seemed to have a send off at wolves, so what changed, not getting promotion? Whether he is picking up some coaching duties and available should he be needed seems a good move. He could still cut it as a regular in Lge 1 so it's up to him what he wants to do or if he gets other offers.

1 hour ago, Babushka1867 said:

Didn't Joao's progress go backwards though the longer the season progressed? 

Don't get me wrong, I want Joao to stay and progress.

Might potentially be a little linked to him having his first child maybe, bit distracted etc potentially. 

8 hours ago, S_W_F_C said:

Semedo should be released for his own good instead of being treated like some kind of family pet.

He could win leagues or promotions elsewhere and come back with open arms when his career ends.

If he just drifts about here not playing he will regret it in later life.

I call on the club to do the decent thing, you have no intention of playing the guy, let him go and play football. 

Offering him him a new deal is like offer a drink to an alcoholic, you know he will take it and you know you shouldn't do it.

Absolute top quality guy in every way but this is isn't right.

I think that's an insult to Semedo's intelligence, he's been offered a contract, he'll know what the story is and will consider it along with any other offers he gets, he doesn't have to take it...the point is, it's up to him, he'll do what he WANTS to do, it's not charity or chucking a few bob at a homeless person cos we feel sorry for him, I think it's a good move by the club.

No problem at all with this. The team running the club know what the club needs better than anyone on here. They know what role Jose has been offered and on what terms and I guarantee it favours the club in some way, otherwise we'd have just let him go. It won't be an emotion lead decision, it'll be football lead. (or is it led?)

Very surprised by this decision from the Club.

Though, I will assume that his presence around his squad members is such a benefit that they want to keep him around. For example, he's likely helped the likes of Marco Matias and Lucas João settle in this country.

Like last season, I would not expect him to feature very much, barring a couple of appearances or if there is an injury crisis in midfield.

Guest mrbluesky

This has been done because...

Squad player

Good for the dressing and keeping the momentum for next season

He will come in very handy when it`s our 150th celebration 

CC see`s a future coaching role so will give him other roles within the club

I`ll go for all 4! Chas will have spoken to CC, he`s not daft as his wage will add to FFP and we need every penny we can to spend on promotion chasing players.

A further point on the Semedo contract offer, apart from all those reasons stated, is that the two holding midfielders ahead of him, Hutchinson and Melo, are both prone to missing games. Of course we'll hope to bring in another, but as yet, those two are all we have

Guest wilyfox

I think Jose would be selling himself short by signing another extension here. Who doesn't love Semedo?! He's a great guy. But, at 31, he could serve another club very well for 2-3yrs and then come back to us. A good athlete, keeps himself in great condition. A footballer's playing career is relatively short. Does he wanna waste his latter years in our reserves? Might regret that further down the line.

For selfish reasons, I hope he stays. But, he needs to make the right decision for himself - whatever that may be. 

On 8 June 2016 at 14:49, Adam1867 said:

Pointless. Shows a total lack of ambition.

Chansiri is supposed to be a business man, offering a player like Semedo a contract is comical.

I get that Semedo has been brilliant for us, but we had a chance to say goodbye and should have done so.

Why keep dead wood?

I totally agree - even got moaned at by someone for using the term Dead Wood FFS.  

We need players and backup that are good enough to get us into the Prem - it's that simple.

Hopefully there are some ambitious plans in the pipeline once the Euros are done...we need a fast start for once.

No excuses this time around.

People saying it shows a lack of ambition are a complete joke, the one thing you cant accuse the owner and manager of is lack of ambition for gods sake have a look at yourselves and have a quick look back in our recent history

As with all good business men Mr Chansiri can see a bigger picture than the 11 on the pitch and is not just building a team but a club and Semedo is part of that all be it in a reduced playing role, this is not football manager where you buy players and they play, all the players coming from abroad hang around  Semedo you only have to look at that in training, the matches even the BP garage every morning when they sit having coffees before training  Semedo is a massive part of the integration of the players to the club

If Semedo is happy to take a reduced playing role to become part of the fabric of the club then I for one am very pleased with that but if he decides he still wants to play on somewhere else well he goes with the best wishes of all true SWFC fans that would never disrespect his efforts and commitment by calling him Deadwood he deserves better than that term

2 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I totally agree - even got moaned at by someone for using the term Dead Wood FFS.  

We need players and backup that are good enough to get us into the Prem - it's that simple.

Hopefully there are some ambitious plans in the pipeline once the Euros are done...we need a fast start for once.

No excuses this time around.

Only one thing simple around here mate :columbo:

Edited by Triple O