Jose Semedo offered new contract

1 hour ago, council owl said:

People commenting how good he is for the team off the pitch.

how the bloody hell they know is beyond me.

thing is, you're just guessing.

shouldve got shut.

Both Carlos and Lee Bullen have said it on a number of occasions. Are they lying?

Not to mention Semedo himself saying he'd taken Joao under his wing

Edited by evaD

6 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

I get the feeling Semedo staying is more thinking with the heart and not the head. However, if Semedo is happy not playing first team football, Carlos is happy with him in the dressing room and Chansiri happy with paying for this then I for one am thoroughly pleased for the lad.

The Lavery and Price ones seem a bit odd though, hope it doesn't mean Westwood is on his way

Semedo hasn't accepted the offer yet, has he?

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Semedo should be released for his own good instead of being treated like some kind of family pet.

He could win leagues or promotions elsewhere and come back with open arms when his career ends.

If he just drifts about here not playing he will regret it in later life.

I call on the club to do the decent thing, you have no intention of playing the guy, let him go and play football. 

Offering him him a new deal is like offer a drink to an alcoholic, you know he will take it and you know you shouldn't do it.

Absolute top quality guy in every way but this is isn't right.

He doesn't have to sign a new deal. I'm sure he's perfectly capable of making his own decision as to what he wants to do with his career. He will be well aware of what his role would be if he was to sign.

The responses in this thread are flipping funny.

8 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Oh come on Simon..Its bloody football...You telling me the squad is being picked on "How well they all get on"?

I presume Carlos has seen a future coaching role for Jose...I honestly can't see him choosing him for what he will add to the team otherwise.

Every footballer reaches the point where they don't make the team, every bloody PERSON reaches that point.

I'd clap Semedo on if he came back with the f.ookin' Blavdes....but its history mate...

But ain't it liberating Andy being able to leave the football decisions to those doing a cracking job in general, and not worry too much about those decisions?

Admittedly, it leaves nowt for us to do on here during summer apart from mow our lawns, but that's great isn't it?

Might be bringing in some more Joao-types, young kids from Portugal, for Semedo to take under his wings, we don't know. Just let them get on with it. Won't be long before we bring in some new big guns anyhow.

Enjoying being a Happy Clapper btw. Very therapeutic lol

I'll admit I was surprised but Semedo must be on pennies compared to some of the others at the club so to still have him in and around the dressing room is good business if he's then introduced into the coaching set-up with some of the younger lads. If there isn't going to be a coaching element involved in the new deal then it's one you have to maybe doubt the worthiness of?!

Love the guy but clearly won't have a massive part to play on the pitch next season if this season is anything to go by.

31 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

23 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Oh come on Simon..Its bloody football...You telling me the squad is being picked on "How well they all get on"?

I presume Carlos has seen a future coaching role for Jose...I honestly can't see him choosing him for what he will add to the team otherwise.

Every footballer reaches the point where they don't make the team, every bloody PERSON reaches that point.

I'd clap Semedo on if he came back with the f.ookin' Blavdes....but its history mate...

But ain't it liberating Andy being able to leave the football decisions to those doing a cracking job in general, and not worry too much about those decisions?

Admittedly, it leaves nowt for us to do on here during summer apart from mow our lawns, but that's great isn't it?

Might be bringing in some more Joao-types, young kids from Portugal, for Semedo to take under his wings, we don't know. Just let them get on with it. Won't be long before we bring in some new big guns anyhow.

Enjoying being a Happy Clapper btw. Very therapeutic 

Oh aye..The ethics behind it all are commendable....I look forward to f.ookin' Mother Turton runnin' as fast backwards as he could forwards next season...Jackie Sinclair runnin' riot up the wing...Rodger Wylde  slidin' in front of an uncovered Kop on his knees...

If we had signed Turner on a permanent contract I Would have been upset because he'll probably be on much higher wages than the contract offers to Semedo. 

Couple that with the fact we will more than likely sell McGugan it will offset any wages.

It's really not a big deal. Cant understand the fuss.

We will still have our summer targets and wether Semi signs or not will not change that. 

17 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Oh aye..The ethics behind it all are commendable....I look forward to f.ookin' Mother Turton runnin' as fast backwards as he could forwards next season...Jackie Sinclair runnin' riot up the wing...Rodger Wylde  slidin' in front of an uncovered Kop on his knees...

lol

Expected him to be released, but pleased with this in a way, still a competent squad player and apparently has a positive effect in the dressing room, which I am sure contributed to the team spirit which made last season possible. 

OK, he is not going to play many games but can be a role model for younger players, available to do a job when needed and lets be fair, now we have proper financial backing, his wage is not going to restrict us improving the squad in other areas.

If he and and team mates were reading this it would be a bit embarrassing. At 31 or whatever he is, we're effectively saying his playing days are finished, but he should hang around a cheer the lads on.

Whilst he's clearly loyal and a fan of the club, he surely can't consider writing off his playing career so soon can he?

Guest The Claw

great news, real shame about the ones that have been let go, good luck to them for their future

1 hour ago, Animis said:

If he and and team mates were reading this it would be a bit embarrassing. At 31 or whatever he is, we're effectively saying his playing days are finished, but he should hang around a cheer the lads on.

Whilst he's clearly loyal and a fan of the club, he surely can't consider writing off his playing career so soon can he?

If you take this season for an example he didn't play much. If we are going to improve next season he'll surely play even less. If he signs again it's because he's happy playing second fiddle. That would suggest he's not fussed about prolonging his playing days which is a strange one really

The way some people are reacting you'd think we'd offered Darren Potter a new contract! People seem to be overlooking something; we have a very raw, young Portugeses talent who is a potentially brilliant player. He has been mentored and nurtured by Semedo and still needs looking after. Why not retain him in the playing squad so he can carry on looking after Joao? The whole thing makes perfect sense to me. 

4 minutes ago, hirstysboots said:

People seem to be overlooking something; we have a very raw, young Portugeses talent who is a potentially brilliant player. He has been mentored and nurtured by Semedo and still needs looking after. Why not retain him in the playing squad so he can carry on looking after Joao? The whole thing makes perfect sense to me. 

Didn't Joao's progress go backwards though the longer the season progressed? 

Don't get me wrong, I want Joao to stay and progress.