Joao and Nuhiu or New?

Are Nuhiu and Joao good enough to make a new big forward unnecessary? I have posted elsewhere that if you add their half seasons together, you get a decent return:-

13 goals and 12 assists.

But if you look even deeper, I think there is a strong case that they are good enough. I think we can assume that a fit Forestieri and fit Hooper will be in our starting line-up, so should it be a new big striker to accompany them, or should it be Joao/Nuhiu?

Here are the games that Hooper, Forestieri and Joao or Nuhiu played together. The scores are what happened during the time that all 3 were still on the pitch.

Our score first...

Huddersfield 3-1

Blackburn 1-0

Charlton 0-1 (only 20 minutes)

Cardiff 2-0

Dons 1-0

Wolves 3-1

Brum 3-0

Fulham 1-0

Bolton 3-2

Burnley 1-1

Brum 2-0

Brentford 3-0

Preston 0-0

Blackburn 2-1

Ipswich 0-0 (only 14 minutes)

Dons 0-0

Cardiff 1-0

Brighton 1-0

Hull 0-0

Played 19  Won 13  Drawn 5  Lost 1

If that sort of form was for the 46 games it leads to 106 points btw!!!

Nuhiu looks clumsy, and Joao is frustrating and can be Bambi on ice. But it gets results. How confident could we be that a Kodjia or a Nugent or an Oliveira would have delivered anywhere near that fantastic success?

Nuhiu has had a couple of seasons now and although he's a nuisance to the the opposition his goal return is not good enough. Joao had quite an impressive start to his Wednesday career then went off the boil somewhat.

For me, time may be up for Nuhiu but we give Joao a further season to impress just like we did Nuhiu. I still think we should be looking to bring in a spearhead marquee signing to complement Hooper and to take the pressure off Joao. It will be another long season, I'm sure.

Goal return for Nuhiu not good enough. Like the guy but I think he needs replacing. Joao needs a lot of work doing on him. His work rate and application needs to improve but he has obvious ability. For me a new forward is a neccessity along with a new C/B and a hard man in midfield. Spine of the team improvements.

Edited by Soul Power
Spelling

we need 2 new strikers with maybe one of them that can also play on wing ,joao can improve but he needs to toughen up . nuhiu no comment not worth one . I think hooper needs competition sometimes he has been totally ineffective that's prob why he was not a regular at Norwich.

9 minutes ago, Soul Power said:

Goal return for Nuhiu not good enough. Like the guy but I think he needs replacing. Joao needs a lot of work doing on him. His work rate and application needs to improve but he has obvious ability. For me a new forward is a neccessity along with a new C/B and a hard man in midfield. Spine of the team improvements.

You are right of course. He doesn't score enough.

But, the results with him or Joao (with Hooper and Fernando) dont lie. Somehow it works really well.

7 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

we need 2 new strikers with maybe one of them that can also play on wing ,joao can improve but he needs to toughen up . nuhiu no comment not worth one . I think hooper needs competition sometimes he has been totally ineffective that's prob why he was not a regular at Norwich.

This

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You are right of course. He doesn't score enough.

But, the results with him or Joao (with Hooper and Fernando) dont lie. Somehow it works really well.

Understand what your'e saying but will it work good enough next season when we really need to make the top two. Dawson hit Foresteiri in play off final and that was him done. We needed somebody to hit Dawson before that happened neither Joao or Nuhiu are capable of that.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Are Nuhiu and Joao good enough to make a new big forward unnecessary? I have posted elsewhere that if you add their half seasons together, you get a decent return:-

13 goals and 12 assists.

But if you look even deeper, I think there is a strong case that they are good enough. I think we can assume that a fit Forestieri and fit Hooper will be in our starting line-up, so should it be a new big striker to accompany them, or should it be Joao/Nuhiu?

Here are the games that Hooper, Forestieri and Joao or Nuhiu played together. The scores are what happened during the time that all 3 were still on the pitch.

Our score first...

Huddersfield 3-1

Blackburn 1-0

Charlton 0-1 (only 20 minutes)

Cardiff 2-0

Dons 1-0

Wolves 3-1

Brum 3-0

Fulham 1-0

Bolton 3-2

Burnley 1-1

Brum 2-0

Brentford 3-0

Preston 0-0

Blackburn 2-1

Ipswich 0-0 (only 14 minutes)

Dons 0-0

Cardiff 1-0

Brighton 1-0

Hull 0-0

Played 19  Won 13  Drawn 5  Lost 1

If that sort of form was for the 46 games it leads to 106 points btw!!!

Nuhiu looks clumsy, and Joao is frustrating and can be Bambi on ice. But it gets results. How confident could we be that a Kodjia or a Nugent or an Oliveira would have delivered anywhere near that fantastic success?

I think the main issue with your analysis is that I don't think that we generally setup with two out and out strikers against the top 6 teams (I note there are 3 above whereas you would expect 4 games out of 19 on a pro data basis) or away from home.

Maybe we do need to attack more away from home to improve results but most sides setup more defensively away from home. 

I think Nuhiu is a solid plan B, A back up, Nitty gritty player and can pull off some decent football at times. As a defender I would pap myself if he was running at me personally, Strong a nuisance, I say he stays at least next season. Joao is still young and has a lot to learn, Next season could be make or break for him.

9 minutes ago, The Talisman said:

I think the main issue with your analysis is that I don't think that we generally setup with two out and out strikers against the top 6 teams (I note there are 3 above whereas you would expect 4 games out of 19 on a pro data basis) or away from home.

Maybe we do need to attack more away from home to improve results but most sides setup more defensively away from home. 

You are right. For the most part against the top six apart from Burnley we set up without Joao or Nuhiu. But overall, 19 matches is a pretty large sample. Almost half a season. And it does include time against all the top sides except Boro, where we had to field a patched up side.

As for the away matches you will see that the above matches are almost exclusively the second half of the season, when our away form improved massively. 

Edited by Holmowl

42 minutes ago, Soul Power said:

Understand what your'e saying but will it work good enough next season when we really need to make the top two. Dawson hit Foresteiri in play off final and that was him done. We needed somebody to hit Dawson before that happened neither Joao or Nuhiu are capable of that.

Though with Joao or Nuhiu on the field, the big ugly CB has to hit them, not Forestieri. 

4 minutes ago, Bobster01 said:

Keep Joao get rid of dave. We are past Nuhiu the whole team has to change how they play when he comes on

But isnt that a good thing?

We have a style with Joao. Another with Nuhiu. And another with neither.

There have been numerous games this season when a change of style has turned a match upside down. Think back to Charlton for example.