Stadium vibrating.

Before the game started I sat down (didn't sit again till back at the car of course!) to send some texts and as I wasn't looking up and able to see any distance, I actually started feeling a little queezy. It was then that I realised that the stadium was actually vibrating and the level of  movement was really quite marked. Set me to thinking about the swinging millennium bridge and even the twisting Tacoma bridge.

Before I was a Nurse I was an engineer and remember studying harmonics... which can be very dangerous in various constructions, particularly where cantilever or suspended elements are used. Now, of course there were greater minds than mine involved in the stadium construction..... but I can't help wondering whether they actually allowed for "bouncing" of that level of intensity. Modern architecture is not as over engineered as in the past for, amongst other things, economic reasons. It wouldn't surprise me if the stadium authorities will be consulting structural engineers in the near future.

Ha, just had another thought.... maybe they'll ban bouncing!

Watched the game again last night and the commentators mentioned that the cameras were shaking because if the Wednesday fans bouncing. :)

That's pretty cool. We just seem to turn the volume and atmosphere up a level every big game. The atmosphere on Saturday beat Cardiff 2005. And perhaps even 91 for me.

All the relevant safety tests were completed as shown in this vid...

Looks like the Hull end, given the gaps.

Always find it a little unnerving when this happens on the Kop. Felt it on Saturday too and got a little distracted by pondering the relatively weak tensile properties of concrete.

Whatever distracted you from the action, I suppose