Standing

We were front row of the top tier. A middle aged woman and her teenage daughter with a Napoleans shirt on who were sat directly behind were happy for us to stand up for the first half an hour. After that I had a tap on the shoulder if I would kindly sit down.

We offered to swap seats only to be told they didn't want to. Thanks for that love.

As I said on page 1 of this thread, if we had standing sections back this wouldn't be an issue.

Standing in a designated standing area is a lot safer than in a seated area, but the government won't listen.

One day there'll be deaths because of people standing in seated areas - maybe something will happen then

As I said on page 1 of this thread, if we had standing sections back this wouldn't be an issue.

Standing in a designated standing area is a lot safer than in a seated area, but the government won't listen.

One day there'll be deaths because of people standing in seated areas - maybe something will happen then

Really?! How would that occur then? 

I think there are some posters on here deliberately winding others up (now that is new for Owlstalk).

1  This was not an away game, it was a game at a neutral venue, the English National Stadium which is the largest capacity stadium in the UK

2  With 40,000+ from Sheffield, simple sums would suggest that a large majority rarely if ever go to an away match

3  At most home matches at Hillsborough, the majority sit down. There are relatively small sections in the kop and the far north west end of the North where supporters do regularly stand

4  I sat at Wembley in 1991, I sat there for the 4 matches in 1993, I sat at the millennium stadium.

5  For those being deliberately obtuse, yes, those who normally sit do stand up for goals, near goals or to sing the bounce song - open your eyes at the next match.

6  I don't see any relationship between sitting and singing and making a good noise

7  Standing areas at grounds would be a good idea but the last places this is ever likely to happen at are Wembley and Hillsborough, for obvious reasons.

8  I was at a seat priced at £98, 27 rows from the front and almost on the half-way line opposite the tunnel. It had never occurred to me that we wouldn't be sitting until the match started. As it was, there were at least three people nearby with back problems who really struggled. And I was immediately in front of a disabled area. These supporters were in their wheelchairs and, because we were all standing part the of the area towards the near touchline was out of sight for them because we were standing. There was nothing we could do as, if we sat down, we would have seen nothing. Was that fair to disabled people?

There was a bloke stood in front of my wife who when he was stood up was as tall as the her stood a row behind so her £76 seat ended up being a very restricted view. Thing is the chap in question was clearly in some discomfort standing and when he polity asked the the people in front of them to sit he and his family got a right torrent of verbal abuse from the 4 people in front of them. The bloke who was about 65 and 3 women he was with were on the front row so only had a safety rail in front of them and a drop so they probably the best view you could have wished for. The most galling thing is they didn't sing, didn't entertain the inflatables or balloons, just stood there like ridged prats.

There was also a young lad on the row behind us and to our left that couldn't see anything even stood on his seat.

Standing is fine if you can shuffle around like you used to be able to, it used to be self sorting when it came to seeing the match but doing it when you are allocated a tiny space that you have to stay in just makes a cobblers of the job for 1000's of fans.

If we ever go again ill pay to go up top where the seating is steeper.

You are being unfair on a significant proportion of the fan base. A lot simply don't go to away games - but have probably been season ticket holders for years. They want to go and watch the final and enjoy it.

But the crux is the authorities have to address the issue. Standing in the seats isn't going to go away. It is detrimental to the enjoyment of some and potentially dangerous as I witnessed at first hand at Brighton and indeed Birmingham.

I wouldn't take my young un to certain away games at the moment because of these issues. I took him to Wembley but we went in the family bit

It's almost like we are repeating an element of the mistakes pre 89. The authorities turning a blind eye to certain risks and then be wondering when something bad happens

what's 'being unfair on a significant proportion of the fan base'?

we'd 13,000 s/t holders and 50 odd thousand fans there...

some haven't been since hirsty n' waddle were playing...

Like anything it's about getting the balance. Some folk want to stand at games some want to sit. For years there was an option. That option was removed and in the initial years when all seater was mandatory folk adhered to it.

That has changed and football needs to change with it. Give people the option. Because as someone who has been around since the 70's all I know is that standing in the seated areas that exist today is unsafe when folk act like it's the terraces

It is also unfair that those through choice or need that want to sit are unable to do so

now that i can agree with...

but it appears that some want hot iron blindings for the offence...  WTF:

Guest mkowl

now that i can agree with...

but it appears that some want hot iron blindings for the offence... WTF:

Like others in this thread I am trying to achieve a balance. I know at away games it will be standing. I can cope with it although I am middle aged !

In terms of whether something might happen in the section I was at Brighton it could easily have happened. Folk standing in aisles- careering forward down concrete steps when we score and folk ending up in an heap. Hit your head in the wrong place then and that might be it for you.

So yes I sound like a boring old fart but we have been here before - not the same risks as 89 but risks nonetheless. The world has changed when it comes to standing and it needs to be addressed so that it is fair to all

This topic, I'm afraid, shows many Wednesdayites in a very poor light. It seems that many are either 'let's stand and f**k the rest' or 'keep sat down and others, too'. A lot on this site appear to think that it's important to stand, and, if you don't, you cannot follow your team with passion.

I've got some startling news for you. I'm 76 years old. One of the main reasons I don't go to away games is because I know it will mean ATTEMPTING TO STAND THROUGH THE FULL GAME. I've got to tell you that I did this a Wembley despite having a ticket on Row 4, because everyone was stood in front of, and beside me, and as I sit typing this, I'm still in agony with back and knee pains.  

My passion, and I mean passion, is following the team I have supported staunchly for 68 years, so I am not some fly-by-night newcomer. I went to Wembley, having been allocated a seat that, even at concessionary price was far more than some so called Owls fans are prepared to pay to watch their team regularly. When at Hillsborough, I know where I can sit/stand depending on my preference. Yes, I'm one of the despised 'Prawn Sandwich' brigade, who not particularly likes to sit down, but through ill-health HAS to sit down and cannot stand for long periods. This doesn't keep me from shouting, singing and clapping, which, contrary to popular conception, does not just apply to Kop and North, and if we score, I'm one of the first to struggle to my feet. I do know that standing in a seated zone, apart from being illegal (all Stadiums in the higher leagues in England are designated all-seater) leads to confrontation for its anti-social behaviour. I'm in favour of people having a choice, and am pro-standing areas, but I am very much against constant standing in seated areas.

Were there provisions made for standing, I would be very pro, but NOT in seated areas.

I would love to 'bounce', but am physically unable due to spending 30 years crawling through 3 & 4 Foot coal seams, and I am sure that anyone in a 'seated' area will stand at some time during the game, but please give a thought to some of us old-timers, and there are MANY, who are unable to stand for 2 hours.   

Edited by Buxtongent

Guest kippax

Really difficult to get right and I think those insistent upon standing must take their cues from those around them.  If you're standing incessantly and you're in front of a child or someone of a certain vintage, you're being obnoxious.  If you're surrounded by teenagers and young adults merrily bouncing, you're probably alright to stand up.  Being aware of those around you may prove challenging to some but would alleviate most of the difficulties highlighted above, and make the game more enjoyable for all.

I didn't even give a thought to sitting being a possibility until about 35 minutes in - it just never occurred to me in a block which was absolutely rocking from start to finish.

There was a bloke stood in front of my wife who when he was stood up was as tall as the her stood a row behind so her £76 seat ended up being a very restricted view. Thing is the chap in question was clearly in some discomfort standing and when he polity asked the the people in front of them to sit he and his family got a right torrent of verbal abuse from the 4 people in front of them. The bloke who was about 65 and 3 women he was with were on the front row so only had a safety rail in front of them and a drop so they probably the best view you could have wished for. The most galling thing is they didn't sing, didn't entertain the inflatables or balloons, just stood there like ridged prats.

There was also a young lad on the row behind us and to our left that couldn't see anything even stood on his seat.

Standing is fine if you can shuffle around like you used to be able to, it used to be self sorting when it came to seeing the match but doing it when you are allocated a tiny space that you have to stay in just makes a cobblers of the job for 1000's of fans.

If we ever go again ill pay to go up top where the seating is steeper.

Really?! You'd sit right at the back, behind all the thousands of standing people?! Why not get a seat right at the front so you don't have the issue?

Wow. Reading most of these replies it's shocking how little wawaw attitude there really is. I don't think anyone has actually said everyone should have been sat down (even though it's the law), but that there should be a bit of consideration amongst your own.

There were two very old guys near me who couldn't stand. They obviously, in this situation, couldn't choose their seats. At Hillsborough they would have probably gone in the south, but through no fault of their own they were on about row 15 (2nd tier). The owls near me in front of them were smart enough to sit so they could also enjoy the game, apart from the bounce which is fair enough I'm sure they'll agree.

These fellas have probably seen more Wednesday games than a lot of you put together, so to say they shouldn't have gone as it's 'an away game' is unfair and down right selfish. If only away fans went to Wembley you'd be embarrassed because it would have looked like the Hull end did.

I'm for standing sections for those that want it (something they don't do at Wembley) but I just ask those that stand look out for their fellow owls. Not tell people to "fùç.k off" shove em about and (at some games, admittedly not here) throw smoke bombs at their feet. It all feels like "I'm going to do what I want to enjoy myself, fùç.k the rest of you", fellow owls or not.

Yes it used to be worse and it's a good thing we have moved away from some of the horrible behaviour that used to happen on the terraces. We don't want to see it return.

People here also seem to have short memories. We didn't stand at Cardiff, we didn't stand in 93 and the atmosphere was fantastic. I have been to away games where we have had to sit and Wednesday fans have still outsung the rest of the ground and created 'atmosphere'.

Wembley and the bouncing looked superb. The atmosphere was great (like Cardiff). I'm not saying we all should have sat down. I'm asking only that people look out for each other. Not everyone can (or wants) to stand. This wasn't an away game, it was a final. Those that stump up their hard earned every year and pay to support their club (ST, membership) had a right to go. Some, imo, need to quit being so abusive and selfish. If you want an even emptier looking Hillsborough then keep that attitude up, I'm sure it won't hurt in eventually helping to drive some of our fans away from going to football matches altogether.

We've all been through the bad times, now lets all be there for the good.

UTO

Well said mate.