New Hillsborough Design

You couldn't have a horseshoe between the South-Kop-North anyway because the South Stand truss wouldn't allow it.

It is impossible to build corners into the ends of the south without dismantling the roof and building a new one.

This is what I meant by redevelop. Ie knock down/dismantle/deconstruct and then rebuild.

As opposed to move to a new ground!

This is what I meant by redevelop. Ie knock down/dismantle/deconstruct and then rebuild.

As opposed to move to a new ground!

So instead of building a new ground we should just rebuild around 80% of the current stadium at what is probably a far greater cost.

Whole new West and Kop. New roof over the South. New North East and South East corners. Then presumably the concourses of the North and South rebuilt too.

Phase 1 totally demolish the west stand and nw corner and rebuild with a modern stylish stand with adjustable segragation.

Maybe use grandstand for away fans for 1 season whilst new stand being built.

Phase 2 demolish megastore ( maybe buy up old charlie browns across road and move shop there? ) rebuild behind the north with extra concourse and entry/ exit room and modern building for the club to use ( offices etc )

Phase 3 demolish kop down to level of tangos corner, level off land behind at that level, build huge concourse with modern refreshment/ toilet facilities. Rebuild top part of kop and corners ( similar to dortmund style ) and new roof with no pillars and maybe a huge light up owl on top of stand that can be seen for miles around. This would still enable the lower part of the kop to be used whilst construction is ongoing. Maybe if safe standing is in place in england this lower part of kop could be adapted once the rest of the kop behind is completed.

This could only be done if we have a few seasons of premier league tv money and would keep reduced revenue to a minimum. Aim for a finished capacity of around 44,000

The leppings lane end needs to be demolished and a new stand constructing. It'd be nice if it could be linked / similar design to the North Stand. Away fans in the new North West Terrace our fans behind the goal.

Any change will either be piecemeal - stand at a time, and probably with a few years between each, or all at once in the form of a new stadium (which I don't want personallyl)

The smart thing is to have a design that you can build up stand at a time, and doing it that way would keep sacred what makes Hillsborough special.

Opposing ends, Kop and Leppings land need attention, the rest can wait a little.   Both the Kop and the Leppings lane have massive potential though, because both under utilise the available space by a huge amount.   Pubs, corporate rooms, better eateries, learning centres, an SWFC themed museum, all sorts of ideas.   Corporate boxes would work too, but not being a direct extension of the existing ones might mean having more staff and kitchens etc.  

The ground has been able to hold 38k ever since it became all seater. When since 1992 have we EVER averaged over 32k attendance in a league season?

yeah but when since then have we actually been worth watching, maybe 1993 but that's about it

West Ham average mid 30s

Now sold 51,000 season tickets

This is true but they haven't been selling out at Upton Park and they've doubled their season tickets from 25k.

A lot of it is because the new ground is nicer but also under Bilic they play attractive football.

I suppose if Big Ron hadn't left us in 1991 he'd have built on that team rather than see it taken apart by Trev (except for Waddle coming in but then Big Ron may have got him anyway) .

Aston villa averaged 81% attendance vs capacity this season, and they were absolute garbage.

Average attendance vs capacity across the league is in the high 90s, so why would any club lower their seat count?

My view, if money is tight, would be to initially demolish the West stand and triangle and build a large single tier stand with a high roof. Once we hold our own in the Premier League for more than 1 season the money would enable us to add a second tier above with corporate facilities in between at a later date with a total capacity at that end of maybe 12K. At Brighton they initially had a single tier stand then added a second tier after forward-planning the initial build with this in mind. Adjustable segregation could be built into the design depending on demand. Further consolidation in the Prem would allow the Kop to be redeveloped to a modern standard but aim to keep it in the same style with a capacity of say 13-14K. Club shop should be rebuilt on other side of Penistone Road with maybe a footbridge across to main stadium. This would allow rear of North to be redeveloped and provide better facilities. At the end of the day it isn't my money being spent but that's my opinion!

Edited by Owl droppings

This is true but they haven't been selling out at Upton Park and they've doubled their season tickets from 25k.

A lot of it is because the new ground is nicer but also under Bilic they play attractive football.

I suppose if Big Ron hadn't left us in 1991 he'd have built on that team rather than see it taken apart by Trev (except for Waddle coming in but then Big Ron may have got him anyway) .

The dirt cheap STs help, which they can only afford because of the flagrantly unfair deal they got for the stadium.

The dirt cheap STs help, which they can only afford because of the flagrantly unfair deal they got for the stadium.

And the massive tv deal that starts from next season. Clubs could probably let fans in for free and still be better off financially than this season Edited by pickledegghiderman

Guest Grez Bez

The stadium often appears to be full of empty seats except in important big matches. It's good to have slightly smaller ground ie only losing 3000 seats that can't be used anyway (see Arsenal and Brighton where we sold out and attendance was 35k and a few hundred with over 3000 seats unable to be used).

So while the official capacity is reduced from 38968 or what ever it is, the current useable capacity is under 36000 anyway, so technically re developing the ground in a better design with better facilities with 36000 capacity is actually an increase and a better fan experience in a louder more vibrant environment!

I hope you don't work in business!

Let's spend money to reduce our capacity so we can miss out on a chunk of ticket sales just do we can have a higher % full

Something needs to be done and if/when we are triumphant in the play off against Hull, the money gained would be ideal opportunity to carry out work on the ground.

I believe a horse shoe design with North, Kop and South all joined together holding 32400 of which 400 are executive/vip boxes. No more pillars, or restricted views. The west stand to be knocked down and rebuilt to hold 3600 away fans with stadium control building knocked down and incorporated into the new west stand along with media centre for journalists etc etc. A new support mechanism for the large screen in the south west so it can remain in that corner plus a further large screen in the other north west corner with the spectator area removed.

This equates to 36000 capacity with 10% allocation for away fans of 3600. We'd sell out against Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool possibly Spurs but games like West Ham, Middlesbrough, Leicester, Sunderland, Everton we'd get about 27000 home fans, and teams like Swansea, Bournemouth, Burnley, Palace, Southampton we'd struggle to get 24000 fans.

No point in increasing the capacity when it will only sell out 6 games out of 19, and be 85% full for another 5 but remaining 8 games struggle to get 75% capacity as the ground wouldn't feel alive.

It needs to be developed so that the acoustics carry from the home fans even when it's a low attendance.

When the ground is ultimately redeveloped in what ever form it be in, should we relocate to another ground while the work is carried or stay in a vastly reduced ground with a stand out of use and restricted capacity?

Fk me, my head hurts.