DSLR Cameras in Wembley Stadium?

Does anyone know the latest guidelines on what kind of cameras and lenses (if any) you are allowed to take into the stadium?

I've just been doing some research and the information seems a bit sketchy, with some people saying it depends on which steward you get searched by, but the rules have apparently been relaxed in the last couple of years. Obviously I'd like to know what the official line is, since if I take my camera and get stopped I'll be a bit screwed.

I have a decent fisheye lens and would love to capture some wide-angled shots of all the fans around the stadium.

I went last year for one of the NFL games and there are signs outside the stadium that show what isn't allowed and cameras are on that list. Strangely though my brother had a camera on him and got searched and the security guard just let him through. Email the stadium and see what they suggest just to be safe.

Gigs, Theatres and now sporting events, all ban cameras (supposedly), down to copyright and pressure from the press who want sole rights.But in this day and age just where do they draw the line, what with miniturisation and the increasing quality of phone cameras?

Very different I know, but we have had a similar problem on Mental health wards over recent years. Cameras have always been banned for confidentiality reasons but now everybody and their uncle has a camera phone... much more difficult to police.

I was going to take a camera next week, not now as I don't want to risk leaving it at the gate because of some "jobsworth" steward.

Thanks Dan for highlighting this.

They usually have a limit on length of your lens so a fisheye such as a 10-22 should be fine, if you bring a 200mm you maybe not.  I think its so you dont take good photos and also you dont pee off the people around you. 

You might get good pictures outside the game but inside unless youre shooting fans around you a fisheye wont be great.

You are better off taking a decent superzoom bridge camera as the lens is within the size usually allowed but gives you more scope.

Edited by acquiescefc

It's usually down to how 'professional' your kit looks. I've never been prevented from taking a DSLR into a match, but I've always kept to short lenses. Wide lenses are usually more useful in football grounds anyway, unless you're actually trying to take professional action shots. If I do take my camera, I'll usually take a 16-50mm zoom and an 8mm fisheye. I took the two photos below with the fisheye.

381654_10151113869265391_752998269_n.jpg

54826_10151608602795391_1378705294_o.jpg

That was quick, I emailed them last night and already have a reply:

Hi Dan,

Thank you for contacting us here at Wembley.

Here are our official camera guidelines:

Cameras with interchangeable lenses that are larger then 300MM are not permitted inside the stadium.

Thank you for contacting iconic Wembley Stadium.

Excellent.

I only have the 18-55mm kit lens and an 8-15mm fisheye. Might have to go wandering London for a rental shop to get a nice 300mm telephoto for the day...

I am selling a 300mm Canon EOS lens if you are interested. And a 200mm too. Both spares so I have no use for them. Also a 450D body.