TalkSPORT Now - Play Offs Are Unfair

Guest wilyfox

The playoffs are vitally important to the championship and football league. If it was simply 3 up, 3 down, come Christmas none of the teams mid-table would give a stuff. It's the chance of a late playoff push that keeps the division alive.

As someone just said on twitter - Brighton have only managed to score one past us in 4 cracks at us this season.

360+ mins of football and they only dominated in 45 of those

No doubt best team won

If they are so unfair I think the League Chairmen would have got together a long time ago and created a different format.

Simple truth is it generates huge income for the clubs by keeping the season alive.

Better way to go would be to make it 4 up and 4 down in all the leagues with the final place still being determined by play-offs.

It is unfair, but it's a money-spinner. Gives clubs who slip into 6th, like owls and Barnsley hope. So it won't change anytime soon.

I'd prefer away goals to count double, but that would mean less penalty shootouts. Whether we like it or not, the TV companies pay the piper, and call the tune.

This is about 30th year of play offs and there is this discussion every time.

No one seriously thinks they will be abolished any time soon. Even many of the non leagues further down the pyrimid have play offs.

Yes its a money thing but it is also exciting and creates interest which is more important in someways then 'fairness' 

Durham is a wind up mercahant , simple as that . Although i must give him credit for how many Gooners he manages to hook every day . 

Has Goughie forgot his own six fingered team are heading for wembley after finishing 6th and beating the team who finished 3rd ? 

Everyone goes into the season fully aware of the rules. I can't remember any agitation from anyone about changing those rules last summer. It keeps the league interesting in a way it simply wouldn't be if it was a top 3 auto promotion deal.

It's true that it's not "fair", in the sense that over the 46 games they got a lot more points than us.

But its fair in the sense that they finished 3rd, we finished 6th, and we had the 2 games that every single club knew would take place between the sides that finished 3rd and 6th. They just have to suck it up and either finish top 2 or do it through the play-offs, harsh as it is when you lose out the way they have. 

Edited by Will Kirby