Official Summer 2016 Transfer Rumours Megathread

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Or once we got Forestieri

7 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

And Bannan.

Ah. Good points!

But they were tried and tested at this level or higher.

Edited by Holmowl

10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Jones did no more for Cardiff than Joao and Nuhiu did for us last season. Carlos lost faith in our two to start, so there's no point in having a third bit player.

We need a quality big strong athletic forward who is one of the first names on the team sheet every week. And that will cost. 

10 hours ago, splan80 said:

Not many players are willing to drop down the league, even for big money

33 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

We are linked with Fletcher but having read the Sunderland Fans comments on their site, I think we ought to leave well alone. Both he and Danny Graham have clearly not endeared themselves to their fan base.

And Sunderland's style of football is eminently more watchable, and effective, without those two as the the focal point. Be a backward step for us as well

I've seen the comments on here regarding, both a striker and a midfield man, that in both cases, we need a beast who will "scare the living day lights" out of the opposition. Do we though? That isn't our style. Sure we need to add some physical presence to both departments, but not at the cost of losing our flowing football. My idea of the midfield man we need, is someone with a bit of height, useful in defending set plays, who can win the ball in midfield, but has the ability to use the ball having won it. Likewise, with a new striker, I don't just want a big lad who can rough up the opposition defenders. Yes, again it's important that they have a bit of presence, but first and foremost, they have to be able to dovetail with Hooper and Forestieri, neither of whom are the types to run on to flicked headers. It's important that we continue with the way we've been playing, we just need to add extra quality.

19 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I've seen the comments on here regarding, both a striker and a midfield man, that in both cases, we need a beast who will "scare the living day lights" out of the opposition. Do we though? That isn't our style. Sure we need to add some physical presence to both departments, but not at the cost of losing our flowing football. My idea of the midfield man we need, is someone with a bit of height, useful in defending set plays, who can win the ball in midfield, but has the ability to use the ball having won it. Likewise, with a new striker, I don't just want a big lad who can rough up the opposition defenders. Yes, again it's important that they have a bit of presence, but first and foremost, they have to be able to dovetail with Hooper and Forestieri, neither of whom are the types to run on to flicked headers. It's important that we continue with the way we've been playing, we just need to add extra quality.

Yes the priority has to be someone to dovetail with the two outstanding forwards we already have, Fernando and Hooper. 

Thats why I am surprised that names like Vydra and Wells are being mentioned. Too expensive as cover, and neither likely to work well with Hooper. If we have the sort of money they would cost, it would be better spent on someone of high quality who is highly likely to complement Hooper and Fernando, and who could lead the line on his own on occasions.

Fletcher started well for the Mackems but lost interest and didn't keep up the good work there.

but at this level I think he'd be a great signing, similar to Beattie for the blades that time.

sounds as if he may be off to Hull anyway 

Edited by Bluesteel

If you look at our recent history of transfers (non Portuguese) they we seem to go for players that have fallen out of favour at their respective clubs i.e. Forestieri, Bannan, Hooper, Pudil, Hunt, Turner and McGeady. Will we continue to keep doing this or do we think that DC will start to throw more at the situation? Until the first couple of moves are made in the transfer market it's hard to say either way. 

Getting out of favour players is the only way of getting players where you would say we have either got them on the cheap or that it's a bit of a steal. Who are the players out there currently in England which we think fall into this category? Apart from that avenue it looks like serious money will have to be thrown at recruitment, just think DC likes his value for money options.

18 minutes ago, Babushka1867 said:

If you look at our recent history of transfers (non Portuguese) they we seem to go for players that have fallen out of favour at their respective clubs i.e. Forestieri, Bannan, Hooper, Pudil, Hunt, Turner and McGeady. Will we continue to keep doing this or do we think that DC will start to throw more at the situation? Until the first couple of moves are made in the transfer market it's hard to say either way. 

Getting out of favour players is the only way of getting players where you would say we have either got them on the cheap or that it's a bit of a steal. Who are the players out there currently in England which we think fall into this category? Apart from that avenue it looks like serious money will have to be thrown at recruitment, just think DC likes his value for money options.

It has worked superbly well. 

I can see a similar approach this season, but for slightly more expensive players. Nugent for example.

32 minutes ago, Babushka1867 said:

Can see a few more like that on the cards.

For example: Pudil; Mariappa, Guedioura and Johnny Williams, etc But DC will go for it even more this summer, I'm certain. And we can expect one or two big signings. My guess would be McCormack or someone similar.