Official Summer 2016 Transfer Rumours Megathread

Aden Flint would be a very good signing for any realistic promotion chasing side at this level. I'd be delighted if we signed him. Hope we'll be back in for Guedioura or a Diame-esque beast. Another player, possibly worth considering, could be 24 year old Swedish international winger Alexander Kacaniklic, just released by Fulham. He might flourish in a happier and stronger team.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble
Kacan't-spell-iklic

54 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I like Smith. He's actually a very good finisher, has a great left foot and of course, he's an absolute beast in the air.

Still, I hope we're looking at better.

Apart from a spell of 7 goals in 14 for Bristol City last season, his scoring record is awful. Nuhiu's scoring record is very poor, but he is a footballer, whereas Smith when I've seen him,  looks like nothing more than a big strong lad

Personally, I think it'll be a relatively underwhelming summer transfer-wise. To go up we will have to break FFP, and when a club does that it has to be pretty sure of promotion. With Villa, Newcastle and Norwich now in the division no other club can be sure of that. Had the likes of Watford or Bournemouth come down I'm sure it would have been different. It's not  a question of whether a club has the money or not, it's being allowed to spend it.

2 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Personally, I think it'll be a relatively underwhelming summer transfer-wise. To go up we will have to break FFP, and when a club does that it has to be pretty sure of promotion. With Villa, Newcastle and Norwich now in the division no other club can be sure of that. Had the likes of Watford or Bournemouth come down I'm sure it would have been different. It's not  a question of whether a club has the money or not, it's being allowed to spend it.

Have you been drinking or summat lol

13 minutes ago, Wolfmanjack said:

Apart from a spell of 7 goals in 14 for Bristol City last season, his scoring record is awful. Nuhiu's scoring record is very poor, but he is a footballer, whereas Smith when I've seen him,  looks like nothing more than a big strong lad

14/15 he scored 19 in 40 for Bristol C (Lg1) and Fulham (CH).

Last full season at Championship level he scored 13 for Leeds.

Id never consider him an out an out goal scorer but he certainly chips in. Much better in front of goal than Nuhiu anyway. 

I'd also never consider him (or Nuhiu for that matter) a cultured footballer but he's more than just a big strong lad. Left footer and pretty decent technically. 

For the reported 750k, I think he'd be a very useful signing for any championship side.

6 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

Have you been drinking or summat lol

Alas not. Lol. Tell you what, though, we might spend relatively big on a defender because those positions are relatively cheap. So the rumours about full backs and centre halves I reckon could well be true. What I meant was that we're not going to be another 'Boro and blow £17 million on two players.

17 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Seen a couple of reports linking us with Sandro Wagner at Darmstadt , we were linked with him same time last season.A few prem sides been linked so probably end up there.

Yep. Seems like a quality player and has turned down a move to Bayern in order to get first team football. We will definitely be in the market, but he will probably go to the Prem.

13 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Alas not. Lol. Tell you what, though, we might spend relatively big on a defender because those positions are relatively cheap. So the rumours about full backs and centre halves I reckon could well be true. What I meant was that we're not going to be another 'Boro and blow £17 million on two players.

Fair do's 

Stick that Turkish fullback, that centre half from Bristol, and that midfielder from Watford in this team and it'd be a big, big improvement. The problem with signing players from your own division (ie Judge) is that you don't get good value. Maybe look at a CB from the PL who's surplus.

39 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

You are aware of the changes to FFP aren't you?

12 minutes ago, Triple O said:

You are aware of the changes to FFP aren't you?

Yes, but I still don't think we'll do it. Defenders and a central midfielder, com certeza, but forwards will depend on value for money because of the fees they command. What do you think our transfer policy will be?

8 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, but I still don't think we'll do it. Defenders and a central midfielder, com certeza, but forwards will depend on value for money because of the fees they command. What do you think our transfer policy will be?

Well what the policy will be I have no idea but do think we will go for it so at least 2 major signings. The thing about FFP is that is is a 3 year rolling system now so ( I think I'm right in saying) we could spend big this year and have a further 2 years to pull it back providing DC is willing to cover the deficit.

1 hour ago, Triple O said:

Well what the policy will be I have no idea but do think we will go for it so at least 2 major signings. The thing about FFP is that is is a 3 year rolling system now so ( I think I'm right in saying) we could spend big this year and have a further 2 years to pull it back providing DC is willing to cover the deficit.

That's true, of course. I think what CC has learned from this season is that (1) the bottom teams relish playing the top teams, rather than rolling over and dying (Gray beat Leicester at Hillsborough in his first game in charge) and (2) lightweight ballplayers are not enough (maybe if we'd signed the lad from Watford in January we'd now be in the PL). I've always thought that a good teams needs a nucleus of 4 players - a good goalkeeper, two good centre halves and a ballwinner/hardman/muscleman in the middle. We've got two out of the four, I reckon. Hutchinson's quality, but he's a luxury because of his fitness problems. The good news is that if you're paying £3-4 million for CBs and CM's you're going to get very good quality. Ditto fullbacks. I'd start with them. Now, in January if we're in with a good shout of automatic, then you do a 'Boro to get you over the line. Thye problem is that we don't know what the relegated teams will do. But it's worthwhile pointing out that Villa's and Newcastle's home crowds are like our Wembley crowds, and that's got to be worth a fair few points to them over the season.