Quite sad really

There's some improvements and some things which have got worse.

Improvements like stadium facilities, pitch conditions, the players fitness and technique, and general TV coverage show the good developments in the game.

Issues like player's petulance, cheating, disrespecting refs, refs inconstancy and inflated cost to see a game have been bad developments in the game.

A mixed bag really.

The best part about going up is playing the best teams. No question.

But it is foolish to completely ignore the financial element. The more money we get as a club the more chance of success we will have, the better football we will watch and the more recognition we will get.

Like it or not, football is run by money.

Guest ka58

All I've read on here is how much money we will make from the play offs and if we get promoted.

I thought it was all about playing at Old Traford, Emirates and Goodison.

Obviously not, as no one as mentioned that bit.

I do wonder where football will be in 20 years. All games played behind closed doors and screened live to IPhones whilst people drink expressos outside Bragazzis?

Starting to watch football in the early 80's, having World Cups on Spain, Mexico and Italy, with Euro 96 to follow has made me realise my formative football years were during one of the great eras. Kids these days don't realise how crap football is these days how much the money has ruined it.

Totally agree. Somewhere along the line a lot of people forgot the game is about the glory and started to believe it was a race to be the most successful business.

Big shame.

Ive always said money has ruined football

Once upon a time it was about winning the premier league, now its about finishing in the top four to secure champions league millions.

Once upon a time the big clubs saw the FA Cup as a prestigious tournament , now they see it as as clogging up the fixture list and play the reserves as finishing in the top four is more important.

The league cup has become a second rate trophy as finishing forth is worth more to the club.

Pretty much says it all about how the model is flawed when finishing 4th is seen as success

Can't really get to hung up over it.. was great back in the late 80's and early 90's.. now hopefully will be great for thr newer generation of fans in the next few years.. nothing we can do.about the money..it wont change now..

Go with the flow and enjoy the ride..we've earnt it for gods sake over the last 20 years.. dont look back..

I can't believe it

We've got the best squad and had the most exciting season for 16 years and some people still scrape the bottom of the barrel to find something to have a moan and whinge about.

Well I'm absolutely buzzing my **** off and feeling positive about the Play Offs

BLUE AND WHITE WIZARDS !

It's not a moan, more an observation. I'm looking forward to the top teams, different teams, coming to S6. After 20 odd years of tripe, there is a hardcore of around 15,000 that fully deserve it.

It's not a moan, more an observation. I'm looking forward to the top teams, different teams, coming to S6. After 20 odd years of tripe, there is a hardcore of around 15,000 that fully deserve it.

Everyone with Wednesday in the blood deserves it!

Maybe the so called 'TrueFan's' be penned off if we get to Wembley??

Pretty much says it all about how the model is flawed when finishing 4th is seen as success

These days finishing 4th isn't success

Just staying in the Premier league is a success

The gulf in money between the premier league and football league is staggering.

All I've read on here is how much money we will make from the play offs and if we get promoted.

I thought it was all about playing at Old Traford, Emirates and Goodison.

Obviously not, as no one as mentioned that bit.

I do wonder where football will be in 20 years. All games played behind closed doors and screened live to IPhones whilst people drink expressos outside Bragazzis?

Starting to watch football in the early 80's, having World Cups on Spain, Mexico and Italy, with Euro 96 to follow has made me realise my formative football years were during one of the great eras. Kids these days don't realise how crap football is these days how much the money has ruined it.

There's always somebody who moans.

Guest wilyfox

It's the whole package; better players in - hopefully leading to even better football. More exposure, better opponents, revenue to modernise and bring the club inline with top-tier sides of a similar standing. All very well whinging about how money wrecked football, but, we need this - the club needs this.

Players haven't got any better. They are just paid more.

They have tho. They're fitter, stronger and able to do far more than players years ago who had a a pint and a chip butty before the match

Guest wilyfox

They have tho. They're fitter, stronger and able to do far more than players years ago who had a a pint and a chip butty before the match

Absolutely. I love the dynamic incision of modern premier league football. Annoys me when our clubs lack confidence and try to change for European games, and when the boys pull on an England shirt and slow our game right down doing that backwards and sideways shyte.

People live in the past complaining how football was better back then. Was it? Football was better with fatties like Jan Molby and Steve Nicol doing the truffle-shuffle on their way up the pitch? Do people conveniently forget some of the wonderful combinations the premier league has served up over the years? ..Henry and Bergkamp. The Liverpool front three of Sturridge, Suarez, and Sterling was awesome. Just a couple of examples.

Absolutely. I love the dynamic incision of modern premier league football. Annoys me when our clubs lack confidence and try to change for European games, and when the boys pull on an England shirt and slow our game right down doing that backwards and sideways shyte.

People live in the past complaining how football was better back then. Was it? Football was better with fatties like Jan Molby and Steve Nicol doing the truffle-shuffle on their way up the pitch? Do people conveniently forget some of the wonderful combinations the premier league has served up over the years? ..Henry and Bergkamp. The Liverpool front three of Sturridge, Suarez, and Sterling was awesome. Just a couple of examples.

Fair points except the one about Sterling, who's price tag of £50m probably sums it all up. Franz Carr was a better player.

Football now isn't a level playing field, we've just seen a miracle with Leicester, it won't ever be repeated.

Chasing the premier league is like chasing a women (or a man for female posters, very PC of me that).

The chase is fantastic, the first 3 months may be exciting but then reality sets in.

Is it really that much fun watching your team get beat heavily? Ask a Norwich fan what season they enjoyed more if they go down......it won't be this season over last no matter who the opposition is.

I actually want us to go up for our younger fan base.

I don't think you can say that Leicester feat will not be repeated. It's a model that Southampton nearly succeeded a couple of seasons ago, until they run out of steam - others will replicate it. I watched Man C's pathetic performance in mid-week and thought how Leicester would have approached it - more energy, pace and precision. 

Money and big wages don't always equal automatic success - football will always be a team sport.

Guest wilyfox

Fair points except the one about Sterling, who's price tag of £50m probably sums it all up. Franz Carr was a better player.

His price-tag looks obscene because he hasn't yet produced his Liverpool form for City. But, consider his age and stage of development, let Pep works his magic, and the boy may well justify his cost in the coming years. Important player for England too, even if some don't realise it.

His price-tag looks obscene because he hasn't yet produced his Liverpool form for City. But, consider his age and stage of development, let Pep works his magic, and the boy may well justify his cost in the coming years. Important player for England too, even if some don't realise it.

We will agree to differ. Suarez made Sterling and Sturrisge look better than they were IMO.

No blame at all, and it would be fantastic if we went up. I just wonder how long it would take for the novelty of losing 6-0 to Man City to wear off? For entertainment, honesty and competition the Championship is the place to be.

I agree with the sentiment of this ( although I think we could hold our own on the prem eventually). But I'm loving the excitement and quality we have in the championship. This season I've been entertained. Yes entertained. That's what it's all about isn't it?

Although if you don't aim for the top in life, what's the point ?

you saying that we have players who can do more with the ball than players who started 30 years ago like waddle,hirst ,nilsson....

going back even further i'd question that they are fitter than alan browns cup final era side ......i'd like to see the modern

players tip toeing thru some of the mud heaps they played on back then .....different era's different game but better i dont think so

Guest wilyfox

We will agree to differ. Suarez made Sterling and Sturrisge look better than they were IMO.

Sturridge continued to bang them in during Suarez's lengthy suspension at Liverpool, and since his departure. His scoring record at Liverpool is equally impressive with and without Suarez. That front three was so dynamic. Saw on numerous occasions they blew the opposition away in the opening 20mins.