Quite sad really

It's the same thing when looking at the natural world; "the moving baseline". It's a human condition to think that the time we were born and grew up was the best time.

Every generation is the same.

Personally I have never posted about the money, but only about my aching wish to see us playing United, City, Liverpool, etc...and to see us in the limelight being discussed week in week out by Lineker, Shearer, Souness & co.

The OP makes a great point about how quickly the novelty will wear off. Sad but true, that footie fans only accept one direction of travel. Ask Charlton fans if they were right to want Curbishly out because they were never anywhere but 10th to 16th in the Prem. And dare I say it, Trevor Francis had to go because he "failed" to kick us on from being a mid-table Prem side.

Not at all. Life is far better now than in the 80's. But you can't tell me football is. It's televised better, and marketed superbly, but the quality of football and level of competition is no where near.

Just because you can see Lionel Messi do his little flicks in super HD doesn't make him a better player than Boniek? Who by the way didn't have the benefit of HD, super slow mo and Levante away live at 5.30pm.

We never watched Boniek other than a few World Cup games and highlights of the good stuff.

This always intrigues me about fans view of opposition players years ago. How many times did they actually watch Matthews, Finney, Moore etc if they didn't support the clubs they played for.

No doubt they would have been great players of there time (I'm guessing)

But how can anyone form a real opinion from seeing them twice a season at most and the odd tv showing .

We never watched Boniek other than a few World Cup games and highlights of the good stuff.

This always intrigues me about fans view of opposition players years ago. How many times did they actually watch Matthews, Finney, Moore etc if they didn't support the clubs they played for.

No doubt they would have been great players of there time (I'm guessing)

But how can anyone form a real opinion from seeing them twice a season at most and the odd tv showing .

Impossible to compare players from different eras. Techniques, tricks and coaching move on. You can see kids doing stepovers at pace on park pitches, that 25 years ago would have made them stand out as the next Cruyff.

If you want evidence of how you cant compare across eras, watch MCEnroe v Borg again. Two of the greatest players in the history of the game, but watched again they were not a patch on Djokovic and co.

Impossible to compare players from different eras. Techniques, tricks and coaching move on. You can see kids doing stepovers at pace on park pitches, that 25 years ago would have made them stand out as the next Cruyff.

If you want evidence of how you cant compare across eras, watch MCEnroe v Borg again. Two of the greatest players in the history of the game, but watched again they were not a patch on Djokovic and co.

totally agree.

All I've read on here is how much money we will make from the play offs and if we get promoted.

I thought it was all about playing at Old Traford, Emirates and Goodison.

Obviously not, as no one as mentioned that bit.

I do wonder where football will be in 20 years. All games played behind closed doors and screened live to IPhones whilst people drink expressos outside Bragazzis?

Starting to watch football in the early 80's, having World Cups on Spain, Mexico and Italy, with Euro 96 to follow has made me realise my formative football years were during one of the great eras. Kids these days don't realise how crap football is these days how much the money has ruined it.

I love Bragazzis!

i know you have to be the best you can or theres no point in playing any sport and will be delighted for the club if we do go up.

for me though i wouldnt be gutted if we didnt make it ......the thought of season after season of mid -lower table finishes with out

any hope of success ala stoke,west brom ,sunderland etc etc isnt an exciting prospect .we did it in the 60s-80s-90s and everytime

after an intial honeymoon period the fans drifted away and unrest with the board followed .of course we could do a leicester but i

wouldnt be holding my breath........

IMO football is of a far higher quality nowadays.

Not saying I enjoy it more than I used to but I doubt the quality of the top 6 in the Championship has ever been so good.

Indeed, the quality of players, and coaches alike, is better now than it ever has been

No blame at all, and it would be fantastic if we went up. I just wonder how long it would take for the novelty of losing 6-0 to Man City to wear off? For entertainment, honesty and competition the Championship is the place to be.

Iv supported the owls more years than i care to remember.

Just enjoy the moment and stop being negative..

2 years ago ,the present scenario was a million miles away,look how far we have come.

All I've read on here is how much money we will make from the play offs and if we get promoted.

I thought it was all about playing at Old Traford, Emirates and Goodison.

Obviously not, as no one as mentioned that bit.

I do wonder where football will be in 20 years. All games played behind closed doors and screened live to IPhones whilst people drink expressos outside Bragazzis?

Starting to watch football in the early 80's, having World Cups on Spain, Mexico and Italy, with Euro 96 to follow has made me realise my formative football years were during one of the great eras. Kids these days don't realise how crap football is these days how much the money has ruined it.

You're forgetting that a lot of the younger ones "stay in town" on a match day (I've seen them).  I've even heard them debating whether to "Gutta Game" (around 2pm) or stay and pickle their livers on a match day.

It's all you need to know.

In their defence, if standing in Wetherspoons on a Saturday afternoon with red faces and counterfeit Burberry shirts/caps, appeals more than going to the game, maybe it's the "matchday experience" that has let them down.

Sat down, moaned at if you stand up/sing, crap (until a year ago) product on the pitch?

No blame at all, and it would be fantastic if we went up. I just wonder how long it would take for the novelty of losing 6-0 to Man City to wear off? For entertainment, honesty and competition the Championship is the place to be.

Deluded. How much did Boro' pay Blackburn for Jordan Rhodes? The blight that's ruined the top flight for years is seeping down to the Championship. It's all about money now, and it's very sad.

To be fair, The FA cup and League Cup are now taken more seriously due to the European participation element as endorsed by Liverpool this season. You're having a mediocre league campaign with inconsistent performances, the cups are a great distraction to get some glory. Liverpool are now in the Europa League final, which if they win grants them access to the Champions League at the expense of the team finishing 4th in the Premier League. That's an incentive for teams to take the domestic cups more seriously.

I can't believe it

We've got the best squad and had the most exciting season for 16 years and some people still scrape the bottom of the barrel to find something to have a moan and whinge about.

Well I'm absolutely buzzing my boobies off and feeling positive about the Play Offs

BLUE AND WHITE WIZARDS !