Playing at home in the first leg

I don't think the advantage of playing at home second is really meant to overcome the disadvantage of losing the first leg by two or three.

But all things even, I'd rather play at home second knowing what we need.

I trust in Carlos and this squad to do a professional job over two legs regardless of the order they're played in.

Assuming it is Brighton, I don't associate them with sitting back and waiting to break on the counter, but I could very well be wrong.

Having Dunk out for the first leg is more to our benefit playing at Hillsborough first...

Think dunk only misses boro

I trust in Carlos and this squad to do a professional job over two legs regardless of the order they're played in.

Assuming it is Brighton, I don't associate them with sitting back and waiting to break on the counter, but I could very well be wrong.

Having Dunk out for the first leg is more to our benefit playing at Hillsborough first...

[/quote think dunk only misses boro

In the last 10 seasons, the teams playing home in the first leg have reached the final on 6 occasions. The teams playing the second leg at home have reached the final 14 times.

This may not be just because of it being better to be at home second, as these teams are also statistically the better teams as they have finished higher.

The six teams to have played at home in the first leg and made the final are:-

Leeds in 2006 - they drew at home 1-1 before winning away 2-0. They lost in the final.

Burnley in 2009 - they won at home 1-0 before winning away 2-0. They beat the Pigs in the final.

Blackpool in 2010 - they won 2-1 at home before winning 4-3 away. They beat Cardiff in the final.

Reading in 2011 - they drew 0-0 at home before winning away 3-0. They lost to Swansea in the final.

Blackpool in 2012 - they won 2-1 at home before drawing 2-2 away. They lost to West Ham

In the final.

Crystal Palace in 2013 - They drew 0-0 at home before winning 3-0 away. They beat Watford in the final.

Of the 14 teams that have gone out playing at home first, they have won the first leg only once, drawn four times and lost an incredible nine.

Therefore based on the last ten years we can say:-

Lose the first leg when playing at home and that team has got knocked out 100% of the time.

Draw the first leg at home and you go through 43% of the time and go out 57% of the time.

Win the first leg at home and you go through 75% of the time.

Therefore, we simply must not lose the home leg.

Winning the first leg obviously helps but drawing isn't disastrous.

A positive approach at home looks like a must.

Interestingly 5 of the six teams above won the away leg, none lost.

The most fascinating stat, is that only one team has made the final that lost EITHER leg of the semi final.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

I think we'll win anyone over two legs tbh. Carlos seems to do his homework on the opposites. I only hope the Ref doesn't spoil FF's impact by booking him early. I think out of the four teams, we have the most flexible squad in that we can play tippy tappy football with the diddy men or sling Nuhiu or Joao on and play more direct. I'm gaining more confidence the more I think about it. ( or I could just be wearing blue and white tinted glasses!)

In the last 10 seasons, the teams playing home in the first leg have reached the final on 6 occasions. The teams playing the second leg at home have reached the final 14 times.

This may not be just because of it being better to be at home second, as these teams are also statistically the better teams as they have finished higher.

The six teams to have played at home in the first leg and made the final are:-

Leeds in 2006 - they drew at home 1-1 before winning away 2-0. They lost in the final.

Burnley in 2009 - they won at home 1-0 before winning away 2-0. They beat the Pigs in the final.

Blackpool in 2010 - they won 2-1 at home before winning 4-3 away. They beat Cardiff in the final.

Reading in 2011 - they drew 0-0 at home before winning away 3-0. They lost to Swansea in the final.

Blackpool in 2012 - they won 2-1 at home before drawing 2-2 away. They lost to West Ham

In the final.

Crystal Palace in 2013 - They drew 0-0 at home before winning 3-0 away. They beat Watford in the final.

Of the 14 teams that have gone out playing at home first, they have won the first leg only once, drawn four times and lost an incredible nine.

Therefore based on the last ten years we can say:-

Lose the first leg when playing at home and that team has got knocked out 100% of the time.

Draw the first leg at home and you go through 43% of the time and go out 57% of the time.

Win the first leg at home and you go through 75% of the time.

Therefore, we simply must not lose the home leg.

Winning the first leg obviously helps but drawing isn't disastrous.

A positive approach at home looks like a must.

Interestingly 5 of the six teams above won the away leg, none lost.

The most fascinating stat, is that only one team has made the final that lost EITHER leg of the semi final.

Great stats mate.

Very interesting.

I reckon better home first...

Supposed to be advantage being home, so get a win then go away and opposites must go for it leaving open to counter attack. Plus we could tighten defence and protect lead. Obv tother way round and they come to us with few goal lead would be nightmare as would put 11 men behind ball.

Would u prefer to go to boro or Brighton Monday with a lead or them come to us with a lead

Defo prefer way it's going to be

I think we are in the best position out of all the teams in the play-offs.

- We already know our fate and can can rest players for the play-off game

- We will be playing a team who has just gone through a game and will be a lot lower or morale after missing out on second

- More settled side

An if, is that we are likely to be playing Brighton, a team who wecan beat, when it has showed there has been nothing between the two sides.

And Hull and Derby can't ?  :unsure: and is making players do the can can restful, it always looks quite energetic to me.

Edited by The Dukeries Owl