May 3rd 1986 - Last Game on the Uncovered Kop

More than 40 years since Coyle played for us. Looks like Brian Joicey to me. Dave Clements had a real barrel chest, and would make two of Joicey.

Remember Joicey and Coyle played together v Palace in '73 when Joicey scored 3. Think you are right tho' about it being Joicey

Eyup Andy. Yes, I was pretty persistent but there were a lot of others who agreed with me. When it came into fruition I was beaming. Poor old Bethel our so called manager thought I was working really hard while it was just another letter to either Jack or Bert.

I mentioned the Liverpool kop and stretford end but the loudest I ever heard fans sing from a covered end was the Bootham end at Stoke. We were all stood on the uncovered away end, think it was 1968 and the Bootham end was bellowing out song after song all in unison. Oddly enough our players overcame that and we won, think it was 1-0 John Ritchie.

I remember that game because the guy who was leading the Stoke singing was lifted up onto a crush barrier and a Wednesday fan hit him smack in the face with an orange. Happy Days.

Guest minsk owl

More than 40 years since Coyle played for us. Looks like Brian Joicey to me. Dave Clements had a real barrel chest, and would make two of Joicey.

Wot u tryin' to say ?????, ...... it's less than 40 years since Joicey played for us ????????, ...... if so, then only by a couple of months, he left in summer '76

Remember Joicey and Coyle played together v Palace in '73 when Joicey scored 3. Think you are right tho' about it being Joicey

and Coyle scored the only goal in the disastrous next round game against Chelsea, ....... when the silly fo.ookers were jumping off the Wadsley Bridge train, and scaling down Five Arches

Hi, Dunsby, 

Great pictures. Bring back many happy memories, especially the one under the 'last on Uncovered Kop' button badge. The one showing the ground as I FIRST REMEMBER IT. What with the Old scoreboard , and the un covered Kop, and the first place I ever went , in 1947, THE OLD STAND.

Any chance of obtaining a print of this picture? Cost immaterial.E-mail details.

Buxtongent

13 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Memory plays those sort of tricks, had a few memorable away days but generally it was 78 before there was a discernable improvement !

Yes I know what you're saying but I don't mean the atmosphere in the ground in a sense I mean the all-round experience going to the ground  The build up for a match talking and chatting anyway having a drink with some of the players after the match I know that's not appropriate these days with the fitness but it was more like fans was involved in the club but it was a family club not a business like football is today

Great memories Dunsby....

We always used to stand under the electric scoreboard, 

Pie from the "Hot pies inside man" on Penistone, walk past the bloke with  "Repent ye sinners" sandwich board then through the turnstiles and up the ramp....

Always amused me the "Repent ye sinners " bloke, cos I thought he should have been holding it up outside the tunnel as the players came out in the 70's.

The scoreboard was hilarious...although state of the art for a while, the spelling was atrocious, bulbs were often missing which used to lead to some ludicrous stuff...

"Buy a picture of Willie Henderson and the laffs"..was one that caused amusement all over the ground at half time once...

"Frimsby"...etc

So much has disappeared, remember all the old pubs down Penistone, The Cambridge, Royal oak I'm sure there were 2 or 3 more...The Cambridge looked like a normal house...

It might of been actually, but they sold beer lol

3 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Great memories Dunsby....

We always used to stand under the electric scoreboard, 

Pie from the "Hot pies inside man" on Penistone, walk past the bloke with  "Repent ye sinners" sandwich board then through the turnstiles and up the ramp....

Always amused me the "Repent ye sinners " bloke, cos I thought he should have been holding it up outside the tunnel as the players came out in the 70's.

The scoreboard was hilarious...although state of the art for a while, the spelling was atrocious, bulbs were often missing which used to lead to some ludicrous stuff...

"Buy a picture of Willie Henderson and the laffs"..was one that caused amusement all over the ground at half time once...

"Frimsby"...etc

So much has disappeared, remember all the old pubs down Penistone, The Cambridge, Royal oak I'm sure there were 2 or 3 more...The Cambridge looked like a normal house...

It might of been actually, but they sold beer lol

I remember going to a wedding reception at the Victoria on Penistone road next to Hillsborough park the day John Pearson made his debut against Bristol City must have been 1980-81 ish

On 03/05/2016 at 08:46, dunsbyowl said:

1935.jpg

That pic must be of the public practice match they had in the week before the Fifth Round FA Cup tie at Norwich in 1935.

City's ground back then was The Nest on Rosary Round; it had previously been a quarry and on two sides it had huge retaining walls just a few feet away from the touchline with the spectators placed high above. So manager Billy Walker arranged this practice match with the spectators encouraged to stand on the touchline to mirror the feel of their ground.

Never seen a pic of this before....thanks! 

On 11/7/2017 at 12:21, fredmciverslovechild said:

That pic must be of the public practice match they had in the week before the Fifth Round FA Cup tie at Norwich in 1935.

City's ground back then was The Nest on Rosary Round; it had previously been a quarry and on two sides it had huge retaining walls just a few feet away from the touchline with the spectators placed high above. So manager Billy Walker arranged this practice match with the spectators encouraged to stand on the touchline to mirror the feel of their ground.

Never seen a pic of this before....thanks! 

I collected it from a book called Football in Sheffield by Percy Young

I was on the kop for the last match. Can't remember the match tho. I stood there so many times frozen solid in winter and the ice cold rain was blown straight into our faces. 

So many truly awful games way back. But also plenty of good ones. The third division days were bad until Jack came. Very bad. Then TC and big Andy up front tore teams apart. 

Best memories apart from boxing day united destruction probably the qf against Burnley in 83. The official attendance was 42000 but the kop was absolutely overfilled as they just kept letting people in. The Burnley end was empty. That night every aisle was packed, we were packed in so tightly. On the pitch we were super. Marvellous performance. Great great memory. 

Another one was the 4-2 defeat of Newcastle in 84?I remember keegan doing his usual diving act. That match was non stop end to end for 90 minutes. Maybe 45000 crowd. Newcastle were very good but we were better. Yeees