May 3rd 1986 - Last Game on the Uncovered Kop

Another milestone anniversary - it was horrible in the rain, they said our our songs and chants would be louder with a roof and it looked desolate in the sparse crowds of the mid 1970s but it was a truly wonderful thing.

hills1001.jpg

post-240-1173990901_zps8491dd22.jpg

H%20Roara_zps4cdntduj.jpg

hill_zps16fd2cd8.jpg

s02511_zps0f7debef.jpg

kopnoroof_zps1299e74b.jpg

koproofcopy-2_zpscc938c0d.jpg

1910 from little acorns

aKOP_zps71f65309.jpg

What you stood on ! ;-)

9999_zps06483f88.jpg

1935arial_zpsedcd182b.jpg

The original Spion Kop

kop_zps766544d0.jpg

When eveyone brought their own roof !

BpbfKmQIUAA6aqZ_zpssldb9eym.jpg

1935.jpg

1_zpsc0d7449d.jpg

1955.jpg

1954kop_zps28c5f65e.jpg

Hills%201966_zps58hi739a.jpg

Personal Steps in the 1970s !

1973Kop_zpsbf3058fd.jpg

kop2.jpg

post-240-1174129303_zps9f55e852.jpg

KopPlan_zpsb8d830af.jpg

The Kop get a roof!

post-4624-1256901721_zpsf9968a1b.jpg

BaepS0xCcAAjpuFpng_large_zps42ddac47.png

kop-2.jpg

Do you have the picture of the Kop with th digger in the middle and a bit of tape to stop anyone falling in the hole.

Guest mkowl

Awesome. Was it a sheer drop off the back?

As Dunsby says not quite - but right up at the top to the right as you look from the pitch it was quite a sight to look down the embankment. Did they put some steps upto that section in the end

The terrace steps finished then there was a path that ran along the top with a metal fence to stop you falling down the back

Guest mkowl

I stood by the other hole, we pushed one of the lads into the fencing and it collapsed beneath him

Not a safety helmet or high vis jacket in sight

Guest mkowl

It is an interest pic because if you look just above the digger you will just see the barrier that ran top to bottom of the Kop. Was one on the other side as well.

When the match finished you rarely used used the official path but wandered across the terrace and you simply ducked under that barrier. So an effective safety measure.

Guest minsk owl

Surely that's Tommy Craig... going in with the magical left foot gives it away.

apart from the aforementioned magical left foot,  ( which is partially obscured by the keeper ),  it looks absolutely nothing like Craig, ........hair, body, height, ......... nothing

Edited by minsk owl

Guest mkowl

I'm only guessing but were the holes for the poles?

Yep they were dug for the roof pillars

Looks a lot like Roy Coyle don't remember him getting that far forward tho

More than 40 years since Coyle played for us. Looks like Brian Joicey to me. Dave Clements had a real barrel chest, and would make two of Joicey.

Another milestone anniversary - it was horrible in the rain, they said our our songs and chants  would be louder with a roof and it looked desolate in the sparse crowds of the mid 1970s but it was a truly wonderful thing.

hills1001.jpg

post-240-1173990901_zps8491dd22.jpg

H%20Roara_zps4cdntduj.jpg

hill_zps16fd2cd8.jpg

s02511_zps0f7debef.jpg

kopnoroof_zps1299e74b.jpg

koproofcopy-2_zpscc938c0d.jpg

1910 from little acorns

aKOP_zps71f65309.jpg

What you stood on ! ;-)

9999_zps06483f88.jpg

1935arial_zpsedcd182b.jpg

The original Spion Kop

kop_zps766544d0.jpg

When eveyone brought their own roof !

BpbfKmQIUAA6aqZ_zpssldb9eym.jpg

1935.jpg

1_zpsc0d7449d.jpg

1955.jpg

1954kop_zps28c5f65e.jpg

Hills%201966_zps58hi739a.jpg

Personal Steps in the 1970s !

1973Kop_zpsbf3058fd.jpg

kop2.jpg

post-240-1174129303_zps9f55e852.jpg

KopPlan_zpsb8d830af.jpg

The Kop get a roof!

post-4624-1256901721_zpsf9968a1b.jpg

BaepS0xCcAAjpuFpng_large_zps42ddac47.png

kop-2.jpg

Gonna be reyt annoying when people quote that.

• Haha 1

Grear stuff Dunsby. I was one of the fans who had partishioned for many years before for a roof on the kop having gone on Liverpools kop in the 60,s and realised how a roof could both raise the decibel level and have fans singing

in unison. That was rammed home also in the 60s when I ventured on the Stretford end and sampled the Man U support where the noise level was deafening. Both Jack Charlton and then Bert Magee who I wrote letters to both replied agreeing this was a neccessity if we were to progress both on and off the pitch. Keeping the fans dry was a side issue.

Throughout the summer of 86 I was an ever present at the ground watching the weekly progress.

Grear stuff Dunsby. I was one of the fans who had partishioned for many years before for a roof on the kop having gone on Liverpools kop in the 60,s and realised how a roof could both raise the decibel level and have fans singing

in unison. That was rammed home also in the 60s when I ventured on the Stretford end and sampled the Man U support where the noise level was deafening. Both Jack Charlton and then Bert Magee who I wrote letters to both replied agreeing this was a neccessity if we were to progress both on and off the pitch. Keeping the fans dry was a side issue.

Throughout the summer of 86 I was an ever present at the ground watching the weekly progress.

Me too! Sat in the North eating my sarnies!

...Eyup chap!!...I remember you at work drafting what seemed like weekly letters to anyone and everyone at the time...

Eyup Andy. Yes, I was pretty persistent but there were a lot of others who agreed with me. When it came into fruition I was beaming. Poor old Bethel our so called manager thought I was working really hard while it was just another letter to either Jack or Bert.

I mentioned the Liverpool kop and stretford end but the loudest I ever heard fans sing from a covered end was the Bootham end at Stoke. We were all stood on the uncovered away end, think it was 1968 and the Bootham end was bellowing out song after song all in unison. Oddly enough our players overcame that and we won, think it was 1-0 John Ritchie.

Guest s80m21owl

The board came and stood on the KOP for the last game. We even held a sponsored run to help pay for it, always been poor relations lol

And if I remember rightly "Sit Down" by James was played over the PA system at the same time. Which just about summed up the ownership of the club at the time.