May 3rd 1986 - Last Game on the Uncovered Kop

Another milestone anniversary - it was horrible in the rain, they said our our songs and chants  would be louder with a roof and it looked desolate in the sparse crowds of the mid 1970s but it was a truly wonderful thing.

hills1001.jpg

post-240-1173990901_zps8491dd22.jpg

H%20Roara_zps4cdntduj.jpg

hill_zps16fd2cd8.jpg

s02511_zps0f7debef.jpg

kopnoroof_zps1299e74b.jpg

koproofcopy-2_zpscc938c0d.jpg

1910 from little acorns

aKOP_zps71f65309.jpg

What you stood on ! ;-)

9999_zps06483f88.jpg

1935arial_zpsedcd182b.jpg

The original Spion Kop

kop_zps766544d0.jpg

When eveyone brought their own roof !

BpbfKmQIUAA6aqZ_zpssldb9eym.jpg

1935.jpg

1_zpsc0d7449d.jpg

1955.jpg

1954kop_zps28c5f65e.jpg

Hills%201966_zps58hi739a.jpg

Personal Steps in the 1970s !

1973Kop_zpsbf3058fd.jpg

kop2.jpg

post-240-1174129303_zps9f55e852.jpg

KopPlan_zpsb8d830af.jpg

The Kop get a roof!

post-4624-1256901721_zpsf9968a1b.jpg

BaepS0xCcAAjpuFpng_large_zps42ddac47.png

kop-2.jpg

Edited by Mickjj

Guest minsk owl

Brilliant pics Dunsby !!,  ...........  love the personal steps one  :biggrin: ,  is that Joicey tryin' to round the keeper ?

Guest mkowl

Thanks for bringing those memories back - jeez 30 years ago

At least I wasn't sad enough to make trips into town from High Green most of that summer to check on progress

Well err in my defence it wasn't every day

30 years?! Wow...

iirc we won 1-0 and actually relegated Ipswich that day, a late Marwood goal I think. I remember for the last few games of that season they'd done some prep work for the pillars so there were a couple of areas cordoned off.

Guest mkowl

30 years?! Wow...

iirc we won 1-0 and actually relegated Ipswich that day, a late Marwood goal I think. I remember for the last few games of that season they'd done some prep work for the pillars so there were a couple of areas cordoned off.

They certainly did - we always stood in that area to the right as you look at the pitch

In these days they would have to close the entire stand, back then a bit of that lightweight builders fencing and I stood next to it with a 10 foot drop to my left

Brilliant pics Dunsby !!,  ...........  love the personal steps one  :biggrin: ,  is that Joicey tryin' to round the keeper ?

Looks a lot like Roy Coyle don't remember him getting that far forward tho

I always remember as a kid that when you stood close and looked up at the flood lights (before the roof) they looked as if they were going to fall over..

I enjoyed snowy days on the uncovered kop but i always seemed to get a clip around the ear from my dad (me and my brother lobbing snow balls on the pitch) 

Awesome. Was it a sheer drop off the back?

No as you can see on here there was a path that wound up the embankment just visable underneath the back of the old scoreboard.. There were lots of bushes and even trees growing on there.!

hill_zps16fd2cd8.jpg

Great piece Dunsby. Thank you for taking the time. Love your articles.

I can't believe its 30 years, but then I didn't realise the Southend game was 40 years ago.

Does anyone remember the Rotherham derby game, same season as the Southend match....what seemed like a massive 18,000 there, finished 0-0, but does anyone remember that bell ringing all the match in the North stand?

I wish I had kept my ' last match on the uncovered Kop badge' .

I first hand experienced so much of what now is important club history, but at the time it's significance didn't really strike me ( Boxing Day, '91 season , last uncovered kop game, Liverpool at home in the league cup ).

Still, I'll always have my 79' /80 commemorative plate, and my copy of Terry Currans singin' the blues to remind me of past glories!

Surely that's Tommy Craig... going in with the magical left foot gives it away.

The scoreboard says it's Oxford Utd we are playing so my guess is 19th April 1975 (only 7,444 there that day) game finished 1-1 with Joicey scoring our first goal at Hillsborough in since Dec 14th (thanks to the Wednesday Archive)!

Craig had already left a couple of months earlier and Coyle didn't play any league matches that season so I'd go with Joicey being the attacker.