Midfield dilemma

These are the trials the managment face. 

I wouldn't fancy having to make those decisions. 

For me Bannann is the best central player.

But there is no way on form that Lopez or Lee should be moved. It would be harsh in the extreme.

It's a real quandary for the management.

It really does show how far we have come that these sorts of debate are the talking points.

Having so many quality players vying for position.

You are right. We are awash with wonderful midfield players vying for the same positions.

But, if you are not careful you start putting square pegs in round holes to fit everyone in, and the team suffers. Paul Scholes wide left anyone?

So imo its about putting your superstars in their best roles within our team, and I think that is (reasonably) straightforward.

Hooper with a partner.

Fernando down the left.

Bannan central.

Best tried and trusted partner for Bannan? Got to be Lee. Goals, assists, and a great understanding.

Best balance provider - Wallace. And he has more assists than anyone, and two recent goals.

Lopez would be very unlucky to miss out, but if you try to squeeze him in you start unpicking the jigsaw.

You are right. We are awash with wonderful midfield players vying for the same positions.

But, if you are not careful you start putting square pegs in round holes to fit everyone in, and the team suffers. Paul Scholes wide left anyone?

So imo its about putting your superstars in their best roles within our team, and I think that is (reasonably) straightforward.

Hooper with a partner.

Fernando down the left.

Bannan central.

Best tried and trusted partner for Bannan? Got to be Lee. Goals, assists, and a great understanding.

Best balance provider - Wallace. And he has more assists than anyone, and two recent goals.

Lopez would be very unlucky to miss out, but if you try to squeeze him in you start unpicking the jigsaw.

I quite agree.

That said, there has to be some provision made for 'form' as a vital ingredient at this stage of the season and Lopez has been super of late.

It's something we have long seen with England teams dropping form players to get the stars back in.

I think instantly of the ridiculous dropping of Ledley King some years ago after he'd just been man of the match against France to get one of the bigger names in.

Very tricky.

A month ago I would have said Lee and Bannan wherever possible. But I think Lopez has been brilliant of late.

There's a way of probably getting them all in, and all in their best roles. (Though i'm not sure how!)

I suppose that shows that it really is, as the cliché goes, a squad game these days.

Someone in excellent form could well find themselves sat out.

If there is one good thing....it's that if anyone picks up a knock we have so many excellent (and in form players) chomping at the bit.

Is it just me or is the opening statement about bannan on the right not working a load of crap.

Yesterday I witnessed one of the most fluid midfield performances in years. Bannan, ff , Lopez and Lee when in possession all interchange and cardiff couldn't handle it. When out of possession they kept the shape. If they all play that way in the playoffs then the opponents will be bricking it.

Everybody has opinions on this but it depends on how Carlos wants to approach the game.

We are talking about 6 positions, 4 midfield 2 strikers.

For me, not everybody agrees , 5 players are definites FF Hooper Lopez Lee and Bannan

The other will either be Wallace or Joao depending on how attacking he decides to be.

It will also be interesting to see if Carlos changes the team much between the home and away legs .

Lopez and Lee is an outstanding blend that shouldn't be tampered with. Bannan and Lee together doesn't offer the right balance for me. Takes away too many elements of both of their game. Lopez's qualities just gives us that safety net and takes some responsibility away from Lee. Reads the game superbly well, protects our defence and uses the ball intelligently. At the moment he has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Tough one because Lopez has been superb recently. I would start with what we had yesterday in the home leg with Wallace on the bench. Drop a forward and bring Wallace for the away leg. Maybe...

We don't play with wingers. Yes we play a 442 but our wingers never hog the line. Whether it be Wallace, Forestieri or Bannan starting as a wide man, their job is to roam and support the attackers in the way we play. Our width is supposed to come from our full backs, hence why he prefers to play attacking full backs not defensive ones. Once the 2 full backs bomb on Lees and Loovens spread forcing Lopez/Hutchinson to make a back 3. Lee will generally sit and pick the ball off the back line and we work the ball through the quarters of the pitch. Our wide men will come in off the line forcing the oppositions defence to drft to oneside thus leaving space for the diagnal ball to the other wing. We 90% of the time force the opposition to their left flank our right as Pudil is a better crosser than Hunt. Saying Bannan can't play on a wing is pointless as the wingers will rarely stay on their respective wings.

Edited by Robert Thomas Bull

Yesterday was one of the best performances of the season - I'd leave as is.

Just watched it again and cant argue with that.

Torn, because Wallace has been so consistent and gives balance, but yes I think Saturday's team is hard to break up.

We don't play with wingers. Yes we play a 442 but our wingers never hog the line. Whether it be Wallace, Forestieri or Bannan starting as a wide man, their job is to roam and support the attackers in the way we play. Our width is supposed to come from our full backs, hence why he prefers to play attacking full backs not defensive ones. Once the 2 full backs bomb on Lees and Loovens spread forcing Lopez/Hutchinson to make a back 3. Lee will generally sit and pick the ball off the back line and we work the ball through the quarters of the pitch. Our wide men will come in off the line forcing the oppositions defence to drft to oneside thus leaving space for the diagnal ball to the other wing. We 90% of the time force the opposition to their left flank our right as Pudil is a better crosser than Hunt. Saying Bannan can't play on a wing is pointless as the wingers will rarely stay on their respective wings.

Quite right about the wingers, especially when you realise that CC plays FF on the left and he's right footed and Wallace and Bannan on the right and they are left footed. It's seems to be the modern philosophy to play wide men who can cut in onto their strongest foot and shoot, rather than go to the dead ball line and put a cross in.

With respect to the Bannan debate I personally feel he's definitely been our best CM this season, so for me the question would be about who will partner him in the centre midfield. Assuming Wallace is available for the right wing,it would be a tough call between Lopez and Lee for the remaining CM spot. Lastly I do think it's important to play players in their natural positions even if it means leaving some quality on the bench.

Quite right about the wingers, especially when you realise that CC plays FF on the left and he's right footed and Wallace and Bannan on the right and they are left footed. It's seems to be the modern philosophy to play wide men who can cut in onto their strongest foot and shoot, rather than go to the dead ball line and put a cross in.

With respect to the Bannan debate I personally feel he's definitely been our best CM this season, so for me the question would be about who will partner him in the centre midfield. Assuming Wallace is available for the right wing,it would be a tough call between Lopez and Lee for the remaining CM spot. Lastly I do think it's important to play players in their natural positions even if it means leaving some quality on the bench.

Agree, however Bannan has played 90% of games from the left. He has also stated on more than one occasion that Carlos plays him how he wants to play and uses him to what he feels is his best position. So why change that? Bannan prefers the style and way we play now hence signing the new deal

It's got to be FF,AL,BB & KL. They all swap about anyway. They all seem to enjoy playing with each other (fnarr fnarr) and are all intelligent enough to cover. They are also all very hard working so all chase back and if some go forward somone else always stays back. Wallace at the moment is on the bench for me.

It would be interesting to hear where the players themselves wanted to play. i played on the left wing for years in amateur football (in my case my right foot was purely for running purposes) but I loved switching to the right wing for the chance to shoot on goal.

I wonder if the likes of FF, Wallace, McGeady and Bannan prefer playing on the "wrong wing"?

Just throwing this pebble into the pond...

For those of us thinking Wallace should be kept out, prior to his red he had scored 3 of our last 5 goals, when we were finding it very hard to score.

Just throwing this pebble into the pond...

For those of us thinking Wallace should be kept out, prior to his red he had scored 3 of our last 5 goals, when we were finding it very hard to score.

Great point, I'm not sure why but we don't seem to have the same confidence in Wallace.

Guest wilyfox

I'd be surprised if Carlos doesn't start with a team resembling this in the playoffs:

....................Westwood

Hunt......Lees.....Loovens.....Pudil

Wallace....Lee....Hutchinson...Bannan

.............Hooper....Forestieri

(Injuries and suspensions permitting)

Is it just me or is the opening statement about bannan on the right not working a load of crap.

Yesterday I witnessed one of the most fluid midfield performances in years. Bannan, ff , Lopez and Lee when in possession all interchange and cardiff couldn't handle it. When out of possession they kept the shape. If they all play that way in the playoffs then the opponents will be bricking it.

Bit harsh mate but I respect everyone sees the game differently. Re keeping the shape when we don't have the ball, I agree that Bannan on the right provides this benefit.

There were a number of occasions though that Bannan had half an acre to run into if he played a little give and go, but not once did he make a run down the wing. He cut back inside on each occasion and slowed everything down - not my definition of fluid play. Cardiff didn't offer much so the opportunity was there.

As I mentioned before, there's pros and cons of Wallace or Bannan on the right... maybe Wallace comes on for the last 30 mins if we need to push on and find a goal.

Last point, it was a frustrating day for Forestieri but when Pudil had gone charging up the pitch and couldn't get back, it was immense to see FF sprinting to cover the left back spot - and made a block to stop the cross coming in. Complete player and emphasises the team ethics.

wallace has had a good season but got a silly and needless sending off, the team including bannan on the right played really well against cardiff so barring injuries i would like to see the same lineup for the playoffs, cue some dazzling performances against wolves from the recently benched players to make things more interesting