Unfortunate, but we have our fair share of morons.

My nephews son is now in a wheelchair and suffered abuse at the hands of some idiots at the match yesterday, merely because of him being wheelchair bound.

You may remember before Christmas, an accident in town when he and his girlfriend were run over by a bus. His girlfriend sadly lost her life and he suffered multiple injuries.

Jake is bravely battling on and trying to get a life back together but it is understandably difficult and not made any easier by scum like the ones encountered yesterday. Bravely, he just shrugged it off and treated the barstewards with contempt.

If it were possible, I would hope that these pratts could be named and shamed...we can live in hope.

To try and turn this into a positive, it would be terrific if he could receive messages of support.... Owlstalk at its best if you like.

What a hero for fighting on, carrying on with his life and coming to the match! The morons who were insulting Jake...words cannot describe how disgraceful their behaviour was.

Please let me know if you would like this escalated at the Club and investigated. I would be more than happy to faciliate.

All the best...

Contemptible behaviour.

Sadly bullying of people living with disability is a lot more rife in this country than is reported.

Completely unacceptable, I would certainly echo the sentiment of many on here that a report should be made and CCTV scanned to identify these despicable cretins.

Their is no place in society for these sorts of oafs.That they think they can hide away in a large crowd only makes it more important in my eyes that the cowards are brought to account for their actions.

I hope that Jake wasn't unduly upset by these imbeciles and enjoyed a terrific match with his family.

If this is the incident we saw, they are in the north stand, row 5. Just at the top of the disabled ramp. Hes got a shaved head and shes got black hair. Dont know about him but she certailny looked pissed and was giving the lads carer a right gob full, jabbing her finger at him.

The supervisor steward was dealing with it so nobody else got involved. Surprising when the supervisor walked away and left them standing there though.

Needs addressing this bang out of order

chin up young Jake it seems to me you have more courage and fight in you than any bully will ever have, .don't let this get you down son  the majority of wednesday fans are fine people especially on here and we always look after our own as  i know from experience,but sadly every club has morons us included . but you Jake are far superior to them my friend my heart go's out to you jake. keep strong and try to ignore the idiots they are not worth the time of day son and you don't have to prove anything  to anyone 

Edited by trevdi9

First of all, many thanks for the support shown...some of which have been quite moving.

After deliberation and a chat with my nephew (Jakes dad) I'll fill you in on what actually happened. This wasn't REALLY what the thread was about, it was basically to give decent folk the chance to offer some words of support for the lad.
To start casting aspersions may be interpreted as acting a judge and jury and there are always two sides to every story....however, I'll give you a factual account and judge for yourselves.

Firstly a little background on Jake...As I have already said, after his accident in Sheffield City centre when he was seriously injured and his girlfriend so tragically lost her life, Jake has had a terrible time coming to terms with that awful day, quite apart from his own multiple injuries. It would be easy for some to use the usual old cliches, but to a young lad losing someone who at the time he thought of as the love of his life so suddenly is utterly devastating. I speak with personal experience of that scenario, though I was more than twice his age when it happened to me. As a mental Health professional I do have some insight into what the lad is going through... and believe me, you wouldn't wish it on anyone.

So... onto the match.
Jake was in his wheelchair near the top of the ramp in the disabled section close to the halfway line in the North. After the final whistle, the stewards suggested that the wheelchair users move forward to the fencing for a better view as it was expected that people from the seats behind would come down. This he did, with the aid of his dad.

Whilst waiting for the team to reappear he was watchig the highlights on the big screen when a big bloke pushed his way through and stood absolutely infront of Jake (my nephew described him as a 6ft lard arse). This totally obscured his view. Jake then tapped the bloke and asked politely (my nephew insists VERY politely) if he wouldn't mind moving over a little as he couldn't see. To which the bloke then seemed to lose his temper and began shouting and swearing at Jake whilst bending over and staring aggressively in his face.

Obviously his dad intervened and tried to cool thigs down, whereupon his partner/wife verbally laid into my nephew. Lard arse then shouted at Jake and said "and why are you in that f***ing wheel chair anyway". You can only imagine what went through his mind.
The whole thing escalated into a swearing tyrade as my nephew tried to calm things and told the guy to get out of his sons face. Stewards arrived and threatened to throw all four out! but basically did nothing.

My nephew then moved Jake to a spot a few feet away that onlookers made available. After the lap of honour they made a speedy exit and once outside, Jake was visibly shaken and remains frustrated that he was in that position and couldn't react as he would normally.

Now, judge for yourselves... the words Rude, Bullying, brutish, idiotic are just a few that spring to mind. But of one thing I'm sure, it's totally unacceptable.
Jake and his dad haven't decided if they want to take it any further, there are pros and cons. Yes, it would be satisfying to see some justice, but the lad really has enough on his plate. Fighting the "black dog", multiple planned operations, physical pain and a court case over the accident coming up.... I can totally understand if he remains dignified and lets it drop.

Thanks for taking the time to read...

and on behalf of Jake and his dad a huge thanks for all the amazing messages of support.

Edited by lesbarbeux

many thanks To the lad and his dad and of course you Les for relaying the story . Methinks many owlstalkers will keep an eye out for young Jake and his dad in the future Just to make sure this never happens again ,God bless him and i hope he gets through all the pain and suffering that is tormenting him 

I should have added ..... Going to the match has been one of the brighter moments in his life recently, It would be an absolute travesty if experiences like this put him off, he needs this sort of normality.

Don't let these idiots make your life any more difficult Jake - they are worthless lowlifes

Keep on fighting my friend - and keep on doing what makes you feel happier and don't let some utter pond dregs put you off

I really wish you well in your bid to overcome such tragic adversity

Have to admit..... I totally welled up on reading that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I feel your family's pain, I really do. I hope you are all getting the support you need.

Edited by ChapSmurf

First of all, many thanks for the support shown...some of which have been quite moving.

After deliberation and a chat with my nephew (Jakes dad) I'll fill you in on what actually happened. This wasn't REALLY what the thread was about, it was basically to give decent folk the chance to offer some words of support for the lad.

To start casting aspersions may be interpreted as acting a judge and jury and there are always two sides to every story....however, I'll give you a factual account and judge for yourselves.

Firstly a little background on Jake...As I have already said, after his accident in Sheffield City centre when he was seriously injured and his girlfriend so tragically lost her life, Jake has had a terrible time coming to terms with that awful day, quite apart from his own multiple injuries. It would be easy for some to use the usual old cliches, but to a young lad losing someone who at the time he thought of as the love of his life so suddenly is utterly devastating. I speak with personal experience of that scenario, though I was more than twice his age when it happened to me. As a mental Health professional I do have some insight into what the lad is going through... and believe me, you wouldn't wish it on anyone.

So... onto the match.

Jake was in his wheelchair near the top of the ramp in the disabled section close to the halfway line in the North. After the final whistle, the stewards suggested that the wheelchair users move forward to the fencing for a better view as it was expected that people from the seats behind would come down. This he did, with the aid of his dad.

Whilst waiting for the team to reappear he was watchig the highlights on the big screen when a big bloke pushed his way through and stood absolutely infront of Jake (my nephew described him as a 6ft lard arse). This totally obscured his view. Jake then tapped the bloke and asked politely (my nephew insists VERY politely) if he wouldn't mind moving over a little as he couldn't see. To which the bloke then seemed to lose his temper and began shouting and swearing at Jake whilst bending over and staring aggressively in his face.

Obviously his dad intervened and tried to cool thigs down, whereupon his partner/wife verbally laid into my nephew. Lard arse then shouted at Jake and said "and why are you in that f***ing wheel chair anyway". You can only imagine what went through his mind.

The whole thing escalated into a swearing tyrade as my nephew tried to calm things and told the guy to get out of his sons face. Stewards arrived and threatened to throw all four out! but basically did nothing.

My nephew then moved Jake to a spot a few feet away that onlookers made available. After the lap of honour they made a speedy exit and once outside, Jake was visibly shaken and remains frustrated that he was in that position and couldn't react as he would normally.

Now, judge for yourselves... the words Rude, Bullying, brutish, idiotic are just a few that spring to mind. But of one thing I'm sure, it's totally unacceptable.

Jake and his dad haven't decided if they want to take it any further, there are pros and cons. Yes, it would be satisfying to see some justice, but the lad really has enough on his plate. Fighting the "black dog", multiple planned operations, physical pain and a court case over the accident coming up.... I can totally understand if he remains dignified and lets it drop.

Thanks for taking the time to read...

and on behalf of Jake and his dad a huge thanks for all the amazing messages of support.

I expect this moron has a habit of trying to bully anyone who crosses his path. Jake hopefully realises that this guy is just one of those people who take and never give. I expect the fact that Jake was in a wheel chair was incidental - his tirade would have been more about Jake having the "audacity" to ask him to move aside.

It goes without saying that Jake has a far greater battle ahead regaining his physical and mental well being and from this thread he should realise that we all wish him the very best. As other posters have already said, keep your chin up Jake.WAWAW.

Bullying in any form is abhorrent and only shows up the bullies for the sad people they are. I feel sorry for the bullies, however, as they are the product of their upbringing, life experiences, etc. Jake, you are worth a thousand of these bullies, but they deserve our pity because they will never be happy and you can hold your head up and be proud to be a decent and brave human being, I wish you well UTO

Totally unacceptable. Sometimes as Wednesday fans we forget that we have 0.1% element who see fit act as scum.

No one should go to a game and be abused by so called fellow supporters let alone a man in a wheelchair.

My message to Jake is report it to the club and lets get rid of idiots like these, they neither represent the club or the rest of us fans and have no place at our club. Stay strong and remember WAWAW apart from the sad few.