Is George Hirst ready to play a part yet?

Denis Law was 16 and wearing glasses when he first played for Huddersfield first team... the scout who recommended him said " Never did I see a less likely football prospect – weak, puny and bespectacled." ...despite that he went on to be one of the greats because he knew how to put the ball in the back of the net...if young George has that ability who knows

I have seen him play a two or three times. Needs to bulk up a bit imo for the championship. But he is 17 he will bulk up.

The futures bright for young George no need to rush it , his time will come.

' Georgie, Georgie keep your feet on the ground' ( and stay out of the pubs lol )

Bulk up yes, but perhaps not as quickly as his dad

I've seen him and he doesn't look ready to me.  He hasn't physically developed yet and would get little change out of centre halves in the Championship.

At that age he will develop quickly in terms of physicality and he might be ready soon.

However, comparing him to other players of a similar age is nonsensical as people develop physically at different rates. 

Rooney was a freak of nature at 16, he had the body of a man.  The likes of Owen and Walcott were complete speedsters.  In general, forwards of that ilk are much likely to get first team action at a young age.  You rarely see centre halves getting first team action at 17.  Likewise, you rarely see forwards of Hirst's stature and build get first team action at a young age.

He is well over 6 foot, quick enough but not lightning and a lot of his game is going to centre around holding the ball up and being good in the air.  For those that haven't seen him play, possibly a similar style to Harry Kane (let's hope he can be as good).  For comparison's sake, even somebody as good as Kane didn't get first team action until he was about 18 years and 6 months old (with Leyton Orient in League One), that is 17 months older than George Hirst is.

Very few lads are ready for first team action when they have just turned 17.  However, that doesn't mean they won't go on to be better players than some of the lads that are ready at 17.

You are comparing him with someone who was obviously exceptional at an early age who became one of the worlds best, england captain etc. If George hirst was that good then he wouldn't be with us. He would have left a couple of years ago to one of the better cat1 academy's for a substantial financial package and would probably be out on loan at a league1 club.

I'm not for one minute saying he is the next David Beckham, what I am saying is a season long lone ant PNE did him no harm and we should be looking to do the same to get him competitive football which he needs.

Incidently a whole host of big clubs have been monitoring him and this is another reason we can't balls this up.

Wasn't Michael Owen scoring in the World Cup at 17? If you're good enough you're old enough.

Not saying Hirst is or isn't, but there's surely only one way to find out.

Micheal owen, wayne rooney, Walcott ect....

If there good enough get them in

Would love to see him come on at Wolves and score the winner!

Dozzell at Ipswich is only 16, did him no harm playing against us!

Denis Law was 16 and wearing glasses when he first played for Huddersfield first team... the scout who recommended him said " Never did I see a less likely football prospect – weak, puny and bespectacled." ...despite that he went on to be one of the greats because he knew how to put the ball in the back of the net...if young George has that ability who knows

out of interest has anybody saying we should include hirst in first team duties actually seen him play? not being critical or sarcy, but for me he is very much physically a boy and needs to fill out a lot more before he is ready 

It didn't do the likes of Beckham any harm, SAF did it fairly often with his up and coming star players.

beckham was just short of 20 when he went out on loan ....you do a lot of growing between 17 and 20 ....someone said send him to

chesterfield on loan ,why would you want to send a 17year old lad who probably wouldnt get in there 1st team to learn the game from danny wilson

and morgan ......let him learn the game here under carlos.

beckham was just short of 20 when he went out on loan ....you do a lot of growing between 17 and 20 ....someone said send him to

chesterfield on loan ,why would you want to send a 17year old lad who probably wouldnt get in there 1st team to learn the game from danny wilson

and morgan ......let him learn the game here under carlos.

As soon as he starts training with the first team squad we'll find out if he's ready

Rashford still looks like a child

Ask a Man U fan 4 months ago if they should play him and I bet the answers would look very similar to the ones in this thread

But he isn't Rashford.

HirstWhoScoredIt summed it up perfectly

Imagine if we picked Hirst and he clearly wasn't up to it yet (likely cos he's a kid) so we don't play him for a year or two, in that time he might end up thinking "I got my chance and I didn't take it so i'm never gonna play now" might happen, might never reach his proposed potential. 

We aren't desperate now, we don't need to throw some young kids in there, and frankly if he wasn't called Hirst people wouldn't be so desperate to see him. Maybe we should learn from all these young players that we've never produced into top players and do it differently this time.

Harry Kane has been at Spurs since 2009, been loaned out to Leyton Orient, Millwall, Norwich, Leicester. Only been pulling up trees in the last 2 seasons.

Loan Hirst out next season to Doncaster or someone local, so he can still live at home, and give him chance to develop.

Harry Kane has been at Spurs since 2009, been loaned out to Leyton Orient, Millwall, Norwich, Leicester. Only been pulling up trees in the last 2 seasons.

Loan Hirst out next season to Doncaster or someone local, so he can still live at home, and give him chance to develop.

what makes you think donny or any of the local clubs would want him ....if he's not ready for a regular place in our development

side its unlikely any league club would want him .

Edited by torryowl