Carlos off in the summer?

Sheffield Wednesday haven’t achieved their promotion yet, but manager Carlos Carvalhal seems very optimistic about his future. In a chat with Revista Sábado in his own country, the Portuguese coach has revealed he may go to the Premier League next season, no matter if managing Wednesday or not.

The main topic of the interview was about the good football the club has been playing, and Carvalhal makes sure to endorse it even more: "Regarding the football quality, even opposing coaches have praised us. They say this Sheffield is only comparable to that one from 20 years ago, which made a good season in the Premier League. We are now in 6th place in the Championship, a position to access the play-offs for promotion to the Premier League."

“Please note that this is a very difficult league, where there are many psychological battles, it’s worse than in Portugal, perhaps this is the toughest league in the world, given the present teams and the number of games, as there are 24 teams, and many of them are historical in English football," he told Revista Sábado.

When talking about his career, Carvalhal has revealed he had better offers from other leagues, but preferred to manage Sheffield Wednesday instead.

However, he doesn’t rule out a move to a Premier League club next season: "We'll see what the future holds, if we can go up with Sheffield, if there will be an invitation from a Premier League club, because there are already some whispers. The expectation is to stay in England. I'm not worried about going to big clubs or to get big contracts. My coming here had nothing to do with money. By the way, I could have enjoyed other more advantageous opportunities in Turkey or the United Arab Emirates."

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/sheffield-wednesday-manager-reveals-whispers-about-job-offers-fro

I doubt very much that Carlos would have "revealed he may go to the Premier League next season, no matter if managing Wednesday or not." He is a lot more cagey than that whatever he may be thinking.

Don't like the fact he's talking about other offers, maybe it's because we haven't offered him anything new at the moment, who knows. But it's vital we keep him imo. He's been the best manager/head coach we've had in a long long time.

I'd be gutted if he leaves in the summer.

Find the bit about Carlos having better offers from other leagues but preferring Wednesday a little confusing. Wasn't Carlos out of a management job for 3 years before he joined us? Doesn't quite add up.

Reads to me like someone offered more money, not necessarily that he was getting high-profile offers.

Doesnt really say anything we don't already know.

Anyone in any other profession being offered a similar position at a bigger company with more pay would normally take it, don't see why we should think a football coach would be any different.

Predict he will still be here at start of the next season.

I've thought for quite a while that the only way he'll be with us next season is if we get promoted. He seemed interested in the Swansea speculation a few weeks ago and is clearly ambitious to try his hand at the top level in England. I'm confident he'll get better offers than Swansea too.

For those who say it's no problem if we don't go up this season as we'll be stronger next, I totally disagree. If we fall short I'm sure CC will be off and he'll take Fessi and Bannan with him at a minimum. Yes, they'll command big fees but we'd be weaker for it. We need to go up in May

Many on here know my feelings, I expected CC gone by the end of November but have to say I'm glad I was wrong on that, I also suspect that Mr C may have had to give him a push a time or two (nowt unusual in that TBF) but has given him his support when needed (tho no new loan signings ?) - it's not that long since he was being linked with the Swansea job (which I don't think he has ever denied)..

I guess mostly it will depend on what contract he's on currently, if he's only on a 1 year one you couldn't blame him for casting a line or two out, course, he may just be after a pay rise...

Ultimately, I trust Mr C to do the best for WEDNESDAY more than I trust a media report from another country...

Doesnt really say anything we don't already know.

Anyone in any other profession being offered a similar position at a bigger company with more pay would normally take it, don't see why we should think a football coach would be any different.

Predict he will still be here at start of the next season.

True, but is there any need to say it in an interview? And the timing is terrible.