Best player you have seen live?

Guest duediligence

Was there when Owen scored the hattrick on opening day for Liverpool and thought my god he is quick.

When we lost to Man U at home I think it was 3-1 and Scholes scored a cracking goal couldn't help but notice the class he had in that midfield.

The Man Utd team which scored six past us at Old Trafford. Remember walking out of there thinking my god what was that. Think it was in the last few seasons of our premiership life. Sheringham, Cole, Solskjaer et all.

Di Canio was individually and so technically gifted I used to turn up an hour or so before just to watch him warm up.

Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan, Palmer. We won't see any players of that ilk again.

Games that stick out. Jordan Rhodes scoring four. At the time that hurt but looking back I can't help but think my goodness what a game of football and what a player with frightening potential.

And this one will sound bizarre but when Sturrock bought his league one conquering Plymouth to Hillsborough midweek and they destroyed us, one player pulling the strings .... David Friio or something like that. Just wow. Playa.

Was there when Owen scored the hattrick on opening day for Liverpool and thought my god he is quick.

When we lost to Man U at home I think it was 3-1 and Scholes scored a cracking goal couldn't help but notice the class he had in that midfield.

The Man Utd team which scored six past us at Old Trafford. Remember walking out of there thinking my god what was that. Think it was in the last few seasons of our premiership life. Sheringham, Cole, Solskjaer et all.

Di Canio was individually and so technically gifted I used to turn up an hour or so before just to watch him warm up.

Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan, Palmer. We won't see any players of that ilk again.

Games that stick out. Jordan Rhodes scoring four. At the time that hurt but looking back I can't help but think my goodness what a game of football and what a player with frightening potential.

And this one will sound bizarre but when Sturrock bought his league one conquering Plymouth to Hillsborough midweek and they destroyed us, one player pulling the strings .... David Friio or something like that. Just wow. Playa.

if you're talking about the Michael Owen hat trick at Hillsborough, it was actually the last game of the 1996/97 season. I remember it well, because I went to work in Turkey for three months, the day after the game. Also Wednesday hadn't announced the prices for 1997/98 because they didn't know where we were going to finish the '96/'97 season, because (I'm pretty sure) we had a chance of getting a European place, and that would have meant more expensive season tickets.

As for best players seen live, Pele, Gheorghe Hagi, Peter Swan, George Best and Dave Mackay.

One of best performances..Gazza just before 90 World Cup think it was....outstanding player.

Absolutely this. They beat us 4-2, Lineker scored a couple but Gazza was unplayable that day. Such a shame he never quite fulfilled his potential. He genuinely could have been one of the all time greats of world football he was that talented.

Also Bergkamp was absolute class every time i saw him. Proper player.

Edited by Dunkstar

I was lucky enough to see the original galacticos just before beckham signed for Real. Hierro, guti,Roberto Carlos, (original) ronaldo, figo, Raul and Zidane. ZZ the best player I've ever seen, imho certainly in top 10 to have played the game and did it in the games that mattered for both club and country (something which both Cristiano ronaldo and messi have not achieved to anywhere near the same extent).

I was lucky enough to see the original galacticos just before beckham signed for Real. Hierro, guti,Roberto Carlos, (original) ronaldo, figo, Raul and Zidane. ZZ the best player I've ever seen, imho certainly in top 10 to have played the game and did it in the games that mattered for both club and country (something which both Cristiano ronaldo and messi have not achieved to anywhere near the same extent).

This, for me to.

Saw Real in Bilbao, ZZ just had the ability to give and receive a pass, an shift his weight , to keep great balance no matter what.

I have been lucky enough to see Pele at Hillsborough.

Platini and boniek, Kempes, Maradonna, Rossi , Maldini, as well as the above. Only regret never saw Cruyff, and still have Messi on my must see list.

if you're talking about the Michael Owen hat trick at Hillsborough, it was actually the last game of the 1996/97 season. I remember it well, because I went to work in Turkey for three months, the day after the game. Also Wednesday hadn't announced the prices for 1997/98 because they didn't know where we were going to finish the '96/'97 season, because (I'm pretty sure) we had a chance of getting a European place, and that would have meant more expensive season tickets.

As for best players seen live, Pele, Gheorghe Hagi, Peter Swan, George Best and Dave Mackay.

Ah yes it was later in the season. Not sure where I remember playing them on the first day of the seson from. Maybe getting confused with that time Collymore scored against us at Anfield, think that may have been first game?

The 3-3 game was in February 1998 - you may be thinking of the following season when we beat Liverpool 1-0 in the final home game of 98/99.

Edit - or the final game of the previous 96/97 season when we had an outside chance of Europe but were denied when Matt Clarke was wrongly sent off late on and they scored the free kick to get a draw.

Edited by alanharper

Against us Malcolm Macdonald when Luton beat us 5-1 at S6...a proper centre forward and did'it'at all levels...John Barnes and Michael Owen...Linekar..Ian bloody Wright. For us Waddle was just sheer class but Di Canio pips him for me just for doing the unexpected..both good and bad...I just loved watching him!

Guest everydays_wednesday

Saw Ruud Gullit play against Wednesday twice, towards the end of his playing career, and despite it being two 0-0 draws he absolutely bossed both games.

Agree he was amazing and looked imperious .......saw Pele, George Best, Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law, Henry, Bergkamp, Zola, there are loads......:-) take your pick.

Waddle, slightly ahead of Cantona, saw G Best, Both Charltons et al but our lad still has it for me...

Was lucky enough once to travel with Manure to an away Champions league game (where Beckham referred to me as a gentle man - WTF !), wasn't totally impressed despite Giggs, The Brothers and Becks being on show...

Nah, Waddle still rules supreme for me, but I am biased (very !)...

On both occasions I saw Messi, I can't remember him contributing too much to either game. I've certainly seen more impressive individual performances, however, there's no disputing he is probably the Worlds greatest ever player.

On both occasions I saw Messi, I can't remember him contributing too much to either game. I've certainly seen more impressive individual performances, however, there's no disputing he is probably the Worlds greatest ever player.

Yet you can't remember seeing him doing owt ? Believe the hype, believe the player...