Best player you have seen live?

Guest duediligence

Waddle, but for Spurs.

Went down to watch v Wednesday and had only seen him on tv and thought he looked slow and lazy with a wierd lolloping running style.......then I watched him live, in his prime. It was the combination of pace and having the ball seemingly tied to his foot.

Away from Wednesday, Beckham. Saw him play for England in his prime.

Whilst watching Wednesday...I saw Bale play for Southampton vs us but you could never tell he'd go onto be the world's most expensive player lol

Bale is on the picture of Crossley heading his goal, 

Pele and Best easily the best players I've seen v Wednesday.    Best displays though,  Nigel Clough was superb all the game at Hillsborough once (can't remember which year) and, without question, the best goalkeeping display EVER against us was Alan Kelly in 93.   The song isn't an exagerration , it really seriously should have been 10-1.

I was at those games and totally agree,he was class,I don't think there's a player in the premier league now anywhere near as good

Yeah, I remember coming back on the ICO coach from Stamford Bridge, and when they came round for the man of the match vote all I could think of was how good Gullit had looked. I think I voted for Waddle, but it's a measure of how classy Gullit was that a player as good as Waddle had hardly been noticed. Gullit actually went off injured after about an hour as well, luckily for us as I don't think we'd have kept a clean sheet for much longer if he'd stayed on.

Have to say I used to love watching DiCanio play for us when he was in the mood. Similar to Waddle his control was superb. There was something mesmeric about the guy. For anyone who's played football at any kind of level you'd have to smile watching DiCanio at his best.

A couple of weeks ago I got talking to a Celtic fan and he said DiCanio was his favourite ever Celtic player, which I reckon is quite a statement when you think DiCanio was only there for a year or so and the quality of the other players they've had. He also said that many of his Celtic mates were also of the opinion that DiCanio was their favourite Celtic player.

I also reckon there'll be a lot of West Ham fans out there who have the same opinion.

Saw Ruud Gullit play against Wednesday twice, towards the end of his playing career, and despite it being two 0-0 draws he absolutely bossed both games.

I asked a friend of mine who has played for Villa and Forest who was the best player he ever played against and he said Gullit (who was playing for PSV at the time).

Maradona 

Though he wasnt a star when i saw him 1980 v England at Wembley and my favourite Argentinian at the time Daniel Passarella 

Just to slide in to the England kit debate on the other forum England wore the Admiral Kit with the Red and Blue band across the front and new Track Suits that were all light blue, they got booed as the came out as the home fans thought that England were the Argies until Kevin Keegan pulled his tracky top open to reveal the white shirt .

Edited by Lawrie Madden

Was going to mention Dalglish as well saw him lots of times 

He was class Mick wasn't he? Not the quickest at moving but miles ahead in thought. I idolised him when I was a kid and a few years back a local football team had a presentation night and was struggling to get someone to present the trophies. He stepped in as he had an involvement in a the five a side centre at Dronfield. All the dads wer in awe of him having their photo's taken while the kids were wondering who this old bloke was. I didnt get to see him and they say you should never meet your heroes so probably just as well.

Player who made things happen - Kenny Dalglish or maybe John Barnes ((Waddle for Wednesday).

Best goakeeper - Neville Southall (Anyone but Chris Woods for Wednesday).

Best natural goalscorer - Between Rush, Lineker and Shearer (Hirsty for Wednesday).

He was class Mick wasn't he? Not the quickest at moving but miles ahead in thought. I idolised him when I was a kid and a few years back a local football team had a presentation night and was struggling to get someone to present the trophies. He stepped in as he had an involvement in a the five a side centre at Dronfield. All the dads wer in awe of him having their photo's taken while the kids were wondering who this old bloke was. I didnt get to see him and they say you should never meet your heroes so probably just as well.

I thought so too 

He should really be my best player seen live because as i say Maradona had just broke into the Argentinian side i think he was about 17 - 18 when he played in that friendly and tbh though there was some talk around him it was just as a good young un and i can barely remember him mainly because we beat them 3-1 and i was going nuts about England beating the world champions

Edited by Lawrie Madden