King Carlos

15 minutes ago, james o connor said:

A play off final bottled. A play off campaign bottled. 4goals at home to the pigs .... yeah he has been a failure . It seems some are happy with being nearly men. 

Funny I no longer get the line ‘ would you prefer the mid table bore fest under Stuart gray’ anymore .

no hasn't ,he's not achieved the ultimate  success we want yet  but he certainly isn't  a failure  ......why when we lose a game is it because we "bottled it " .......did benitez and his team  bottle it when we beat Newcastle twice did  leeds bottle it the other week when we thrashed them .........it's crazy to think that everytime we lose a big game it's because we bottled it sometimes you play well and sometimes you don't it's got feck all to do with "bottle" .....we didn't play all that well in the 3 cup finals against the arsenal but I don't think it was down to francis or his team containing players like hirst ,nilsson , waddle ,palmer etc not having the bottle to cope with the occasion ....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

no hasn't ,he's not achieved the ultimate  success we want yet  but he certainly isn't  a failure  ......why when we lose a game is it because we "bottled it " .......did benitez and his team  bottle it when we beat Newcastle twice did  leeds bottle it the other week when we thrashed them .........it's crazy to think that everytime we lose a big game it's because we bottled it sometimes you play well and sometimes you don't it's got feck all to do with "bottle" .....we didn't play all that well in the 3 cup finals against the arsenal but I don't think it was down to francis or his team containing players like hirst ,nilsson , waddle ,palmer etc not having the bottle to cope with the occasion ....

Agreed, we lost all those games because we were outplayed by better teams

11 hours ago, Carbone said:

A play off final, a semi final and 4 points from the playoffs a quarter into a season? 

Yeah, Carlos has been a massive failure. 

We finished sixth with a top 6 squad (then fluked it past Brighton). We then finished fourth with a top four squad. Then blew it in the semi. This is not overachieving. Have a really good look at his CV. 

6 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

That tough little old Hudderfield got out of it with a lower budget than the team that finished bottom of the league.

which goes to show how tough it is ....everyone as a chance and 21 of them will fail and sadly we are in the top end of 21 these last 2 seasons 

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Anyone thinking Carlos has been a failure wasn't one the 15/16k that have trudged down over the years with me to watch the tripe served up by the likes of Eustace, Yorath, Turner, Irvine et al. I don't recall too many issues getting away tickets during those eras. 

Some fans have very short memories, and some of the football played over the last 3 years has been fantastic. 

And just for a bit of balance some of the football over the last 3 years has been absolute tripe.

I have always been a massive Carlos supporter, however this is feeling like the latter days of the Big Jack era to me.

We had great times, lots of fun and won plenty of games but he just couldn’t quite get us into the top division. Then we started to fade, just a little. He resigned amid much sadness and the next season Sgt Wilko took us up.

If Carlos goes any time soon there will be similarly mixed emotions across the fan base. The tide of opinion is clearly moving against him and poor performances are outnumbering the good ones . We look like a club on the slide.

Personally I would be sorry to see him go, but  realistically I don’t see any convincing evidence that he can take us any further.

2 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

I have always been a massive Carlos supporter, however this is feeling like the latter days of the Big Jack era to me.

We had great times, lots of fun and won plenty of games but he just couldn’t quite get us into the top division. Then we started to fade, just a little. He resigned amid much sadness and the next season Sgt Wilko took us up.

If Carlos goes any time soon there will be similarly mixed emotions across the fan base. The tide of opinion is clearly moving against him and poor performances are outnumbering the good ones . We look like a club on the slide.

Personally I would be sorry to see him go, but  realistically I don’t see any convincing evidence that he can take us any further.

3 points out of a possible 12 is absolutely shocking.

57 minutes ago, Gingernuts said:

We finished sixth with a top 6 squad (then fluked it past Brighton). We then finished fourth with a top four squad. Then blew it in the semi. This is not overachieving. Have a really good look at his CV. 

A top 6 squad in his first season?? Have a really good look at the expectations of our fans before that season, you'll find most were looking for a mid table finish, with a play off push at best. If you're going to say we fluked it past Brighton, surely you have to look how unlucky we were against Huddersfield with injuries too, think how many first choice players were out or not fully fit.

Edited by Carbone
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

And just for a bit of balance some of the football over the last 3 years has been absolute tripe.

And for more balance, we are playing Newcastle, Leeds, Fulham as opposed to Rushden and Diamonds, Yeovil and Stevenage. 

The amnesia on here is laughable - Carlos' time is almost certainly up, but the usual suspects are winding themselves into a vitriol-fuelled frenzy and trying to make out like he's been a total failure, dreadful manager, blah, blah, blah.

There's a hell of a lot of managers we could have appointed after Gray who wouldn't have got that team playing the way it did, wouldn't have had us anywhere near the play-offs in either of the last two season and wouldn't have had any of Carlos' class or level-headedness. It makes me retch to see people on here wanting Alan Pardew in, the guy would be an absolute disaster.

It's hard to see the wood from the trees when we're in such a rut at present, but in future years, people with a brain larger than your average rice krispie will reflect on Carlos as one of our better managers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

The amnesia on here is laughable - Carlos' time is almost certainly up, but the usual suspects are winding themselves into a vitriol-fuelled frenzy and trying to make out like he's been a total failure, dreadful manager, blah, blah, blah.

There's a hell of a lot of managers we could have appointed after Gray who wouldn't have got that team playing the way it did, wouldn't have had us anywhere near the play-offs in either of the last two season and wouldn't have had any of Carlos' class or level-headedness. It makes me retch to see people on here wanting Alan Pardew in, the guy would be an absolute disaster.

It's hard to see the wood from the trees when we're in such a rut at present, but in future years, people with a brain larger than your average rice krispie will reflect on Carlos as one of our better managers.

Think it depends on what happens afterwards, if we went on an brilliant run the people would say how much he under achieved.

If we went on bad run it was only CC skill got us so close to going up.

Think CC is an average manager overall. Not terrible but average and his tactics in last 18 months have been to stop opposition playing as his first priority which has been dull to watch.

On reflection , I feel I’ve been too harsh ... not turning up against hull or Huddersfield twice or Sheffield United isn’t bottling it , we were just outfought on the day by managers almost as good ours . Making Sammy Ameobi look like Ronaldo also requires some perspective ,not as embarrassing as I first thought....

I’m happy with 12th . In Carlos I trust 

3 minutes ago, james o connor said:

On reflection , I feel I’ve been too harsh ... not turning up against hull or Huddersfield twice or Sheffield United isn’t bottling it , we were just outfought on the day by managers almost as good ours .

Plenty on here were creaming themselves over the masterclass of defending in the first leg at Huddersfield and going on about how a two legged tie is different. Suddenly now we 'bottled' that first leg and a load of history is being re-written.

Against the Blades, Hunt, Westwood and Van Arken all made individual errors that can't be put at the foot of the manager. Who expected a game plan based on SWFC being 1-0 down after 2 minutes?

Agreed that Bolton is a crap result but I didn't go so can't comment on the performance, although plenty have said it was a decent second half. It looks like some of our more fair weather fans have seen the result and chucked their toys out again.

Get a backbone!

4 minutes ago, Jeff King's dog said:

Plenty on here were creaming themselves over the masterclass of defending in the first leg at Huddersfield and going on about how a two legged tie is different. Suddenly now we 'bottled' that first leg and a load of history is being re-written.

Against the Blades, Hunt, Westwood and Van Arken all made individual errors that can't be put at the foot of the manager. Who expected a game plan based on SWFC being 1-0 down after 2 minutes?

Agreed that Bolton is a crap result but I didn't go so can't comment on the performance, although plenty have said it was a decent second half. It looks like some of our more fair weather fans have seen the result and chucked their toys out again.

Get a backbone!

No they weren’t , most rightly pointed out both  Huddersfield games were rediculous , the home leg was just tactical ineptitude. 

Agreed re individual errors but the didn’t account for the obvious difference between the two sides. One side wanted that game and it wasn’t Wednesday. 

Bolton , like preston were awful performances, take it from somebody who went to both .... 

Again so,e have different expectations. I could almost accept being boring when we were scraping wins but not that has stopped I can’t see how anyone can find positives . It’s bewildering 

Edited by james o connor

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think it depends on what happens afterwards, if we went on an brilliant run the people would say how much he under achieved.

If we went on bad run it was only CC skill got us so close to going up.

Think CC is an average manager overall. Not terrible but average and his tactics in last 18 months have been to stop opposition playing as his first priority which has been dull to watch.

A fair point, how this squad performs with somebody else at the helm will be important to assessing Carlos' time here. That said, if we are entering the world of the hypothetical, I just don't think there are many managers out there at present who would improve us. Not saying there aren't any, but I can see an awful lot of names like Moyes, McClaren or Lambert out of work who could well turn out to be OK, but there's a worryingly large risk of disaster with all of them given their recent history. 

13 hours ago, Carbone said:

A top 6 squad in his first season?? Have a really good look at the expectations of our fans before that season, you'll find most were looking for a mid table finish, with a play off push at best. If you're going to say we fluked it past Brighton, surely you have to look how unlucky we were against Huddersfield with injuries too, think how many first choice players were out or not fully fit.

I respect your view, but which 6 teams do you think had a better squad than us in CC’s first year?