Massive Fans

Not too sure why as football fans we take such an interest in attendance numbers, but I think most of us do. It's not just about our club or even just the Championship. I'm sure most of us would have a reasonable stab at the average attendances for most PL clubs. It's just part of football culture to compare attendances with other clubs (especially local rivals).

I agree that Leeds fans are incredibly precious and touchy when it comes to attendances and away support. I'd like to think the average Wednesday fan is a bit more laid back. Personally I think we can be quietly proud that despite being a 2 club city, Wednesday have such a fantastic support.

Slating clubs on how many they take away, really.?

Bit odd in my opinion, good on the fans that do travel, does it really matter how many fans clubs take.

Seems there's always a thread how great we travel and how crap other teams support is.

Big deal.

Agree.   We'll never be massive while we're in the Championship.  Calling everyone else tinpot is tinpot in itself.

Swfc fans have a unhealthy obsession with attendances, a bit like Leeds.

it stems from the days we were really shyte...

all we had was the loyalty and willing woodenheadedness of our supporters to keep us goin'...

you went away, got beat (again) but nevertheless out sung, and out supported the home side despite the fact that their team was better than ours by some distance...

hence, pride upheld...

"SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY'S BACK IN TOWN AGAIN"

"WEDNESDAY BOYS WE ARE HERE, WHOHO, WHOHO"

"COME FOR THE FIGHTIN', WE'VE ONLY COME FOR THE FIGHTIN"

and the like...

I always thought that when two Wednesday fans get talking in the pub, and getting merry, they discuss the potential of the club being massive as it's not out of the realms of possibility, that it could happen.

Not that the club is massive at the moment.  I'm sure we have all dreamt that dream the we will one day be amongst the giants. 

Also think compared to united fans we are more positive as a fan base.  Not that anyone could prove that, just how it comes across.  What I do like is the tremendous feeling fans seem to have for the club, that it's our club, the owner is the caretaker.  To me if you're a Wednesday fan then you're OK.   

I don't think its worth falling out over.  

i think there's 2 clubs in yorkshire that's bigger than all the others...

us n' l**ds, but if yer countin' titles, then it's us n' 'uddersfield...

i'd count the pigs as a bigger club that 'uddersfield normally...

but 'uddersfield 'could' be challengin' for the premier next term, whilst the pigs could be fallin' into div 4...

back to the old question of, what makes a big club, it's history, league position, or present financial position?

Edited by dnhc

Agree. We'll never be massive while we're in the Championship. Calling everyone else tinpot is tinpot in itself.

I agree. What if man u started calling our away followings tin pot. There'd be uproar on here at their arrogance. Also, is there anything more tinpot than having a brass band at your home ground. That to me smells if a set of fans who can't even create their own atmosphere.

I agree. What if man u started calling our away followings tin pot. There'd be uproar on here at their arrogance. Also, is there anything more tinpot than having a brass band at your home ground. That to me smells if a set of fans who can't even create their own atmosphere.

Goal music but only just.